Marwe 610 binding placement??

Old December 30th 03, 07:11 PM
Auggie3

Default Marwe 610 binding placement??

I finally took the plunge and got a pair of Marwe 610 RSs. Actually I received
them as a Christmas present which is even better. When I received them I found
that the bindings were mounted so that the rear of the boot was 1.25" forward
of the front edge of the rear mudguard. Marwe's mounting instructions
recommends that my size boot should be mounted so that the rear of the boot
essentially lines up with the front edge of the rear mudguard, so my boot is
1.25" forward of that point. I asked FinnSisu about that today and they said
that they don't follow the manufacturers recommendations. Their goal is to
mount the bindings so the ball of the foot is over the balance point of the
ski. They feel this balances the wheel wear and gives a more ski like
response. I always worry when someone goes against the manufacturers
recommendations. My questions a

1) What should I expect from this? Should I be worried? Should I return the
skis for a pair that have been mounted according to the manufacturers
recommendation?
2) Does anyone here use RSs with the bindings mounted this way? What
difference does it make? Does it actually help the wheel wear? I'm afraid
that what'll happen is that the front end will wash out. Will this be an
issue?

Any responses will be appreciated.

TIA,
Matt

Old December 30th 03, 07:45 PM
Ilene Carpenter

Auggie3 wrote:

[...]

I wouldn't worry. Most of the people here (Minnesota) who use Marwe 610s
had the bindings mounted at Finn Sisu so they're probably mounted the
same way as yours. I've never had any problems with mine.

Old December 30th 03, 08:58 PM
Greg Fangel

"Auggie3" wrote in message
My questions a

1) What should I expect from this? Should I be worried? Should I return

the
skis for a pair that have been mounted according to the manufacturers
recommendation?
2) Does anyone here use RSs with the bindings mounted this way? What
difference does it make? Does it actually help the wheel wear? I'm

afraid
that what'll happen is that the front end will wash out. Will this be an

I would go with what Finn Sisu recommends. They supply Marwe's to most top
level skiers in the US, including the biathlon team. They know what they are
talking about. Ahvo, the owner of Finn Sisu hails from Finland, where Marwes
are made. He is always in constant contact with the manufacturers in
Finland, so if there was really a problem with mounting the bindings his
way, he wouldn't do it.

Greg Fangel

Old December 31st 03, 02:54 PM
Serge

Almost all roller skis have the binding placed all the way back
and some racing jobs(Eagle) don't even have a space to mount a mudguard.

For those a snap-on mudguards are available (not in USA though).

IMO we are dealing with weight of roller ski that affects binding
performance. Bindings are designed for snow skis (light) and
struggle to return heavy roller ski models like Marwe after the push-of.

That could be the real reason why they put binding slightly
forward - to bring it to the balance point where return is faster
otherwise the roller ski might feel sluggish.

Anyway it should work fine.

My concern is this though: I develop a bad habit on roller skis trying
to keep them parallel after the push-of instead a V - like on skis
because the rear wheel is bumping against other roller ski.

In this case I would prefer rear wheel as close to boot as possible.
On skis you can bump boot to boot with no ill effect and I would
like to duplicate it on roller skis.
Old December 31st 03, 10:13 PM
Auggie3

I would go with what Finn Sisu recommends. They supply Marwe's to most top
level skiers in the US, including the biathlon team. They know what they are
talking about. Ahvo, the owner of Finn Sisu hails from Finland, where Marwes
are made. He is always in constant contact with the manufacturers in
Finland, so if there was really a problem with mounting the bindings his
way, he wouldn't do it.

Greg Fangel

Greg:

I thought that myself but I've been burned on thoughts like that before. I'd
still like some feedback from anyone who has them mounted like that.

Thanks for the input.
Matt
Old December 31st 03, 10:58 PM
Fitzgerald

What size boot, what bindings?
FitzMarwegerald

Old January 1st 04, 02:13 PM
Auggie3

What size boot, what bindings?
FitzMarwegerald

The boots are size 40 2/3 (American 8), the bindings are Pilot.

Matt
Matt Locker

flow binding warning [email protected] Snowboarding 8 February 18th 04 03:04 PM
can only ride with my back binding loose - why? Dmitry Snowboarding 8 December 12th 03 01:25 AM
Binding screw glue Bill General 0 November 17th 03 09:10 PM
Marwe Wheels Jay Tegeder Nordic Skiing 0 September 30th 03 10:35 PM
Pilot binding system -- what's the point? Ken Roberts Nordic Skiing 1 August 14th 03 03:28 PM