What happened (long)

Old September 13th 06, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Phil Launchbury

Default What happened (long)

In article , Eiron wrote:
Monz wrote:

"Ace" wrote in message

I've tried that one... snapped ACL was the result

You have an access control list on your bike? That's cool!

I do too. And they have teeth.

Phil

--
Phil Launchbury, IT PHB
Triumph Tiger 955i
Old September 13th 06, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
sweller

Champ wrote:

really? Well, I suppose it was just a hobby for him, so a nasty shock
like this might see him pick a different one, despite his obvious
enjoyment of biking.

It's just a hobby for almost all of us.

I just don't think you can really guess what anyone's reaction will be
to such trauma. I can't imagine giving up riding myself, but I won't
pretend that there's no event that would make me consider it.

Piling the outfit into the Armco last year was a wake up call for me but
six months later I was out and about, at speed, on unsuitable machinery
in unsuitable equipment.

In many ways that is why I like the Guzzi so much as I can ride it at its
absolute limits with all the feedback and fear that comes with that but,
in all honestly, it's still going relatively slowly.

--
Simon
Old September 13th 06, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
sweller

Hog wrote:

I know about the autogyro landing, having tried some rotary flying
lessons, but that was related to main power failure.

I really want to learn to fly one of those - maybe even build one - if
only to be able to say "Possibly" if anyone asks if it can take two.

--
Simon
Old September 13th 06, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Champ

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 16:18:31 +0100, "Hog"
wrote:

Benny wrote:

He doesn't remember but he shut the power off so fast and hard that he
snapped the button that shuts the fuel off on the collective. This
stops the engine turning the rotor and the forces of rotation, the
chopper will level, but you still need quiet a bit of air speed to
get lift to the blades to do an autorotation. He must have got that
bit right.

I don't like helicopters, period.

Poof. They're fantastic machines.
--
Champ

ZX10R
GPz750turbo
My advice as your attorney is to buy a motorcycle
Old September 13th 06, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Hog

wrote:

Benny wrote:

He doesn't remember but he shut the power off so fast and hard that
he snapped the button that shuts the fuel off on the collective.
This stops the engine turning the rotor and the forces of rotation,
the chopper will level, but you still need quiet a bit of air speed
to get lift to the blades to do an autorotation. He must have got
that bit right.

I don't like helicopters, period.

Poof. They're fantastic machines.

To watch, yes

--
Hog
'96 *******12 '89 R100RS '81 XS650 '78 RD400

Old September 13th 06, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
sweller

Champ wrote:

I really want to learn to fly one of those - maybe even build one - if
only to be able to say "Possibly" if anyone asks if it can take two.

heh.

Conclusive proof that Americans think Americans are stupid.

http://www.geocities.com/madmaximages/
Dialogue bit at the bottom of the page

--
Simon
Old September 13th 06, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Champ

wrote:

Benny wrote:

He doesn't remember but he shut the power off so fast and hard that
he snapped the button that shuts the fuel off on the collective.
This stops the engine turning the rotor and the forces of rotation,
the chopper will level, but you still need quiet a bit of air speed
to get lift to the blades to do an autorotation. He must have got
that bit right.

I don't like helicopters, period.

Poof. They're fantastic machines.

To watch, yes

http://www.champ.org.uk/boards/image...ssia%20043.jpg

Like I said - poof.

Old September 13th 06, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Scraggy

Hog wrote:
Champ wrote:
On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 16:18:31 +0100, "Hog"

I don't like helicopters, period.

Poof. They're fantastic machines.

To watch, yes

I love 'em. Low flying with a skilled pilot is the canines cojones. My first
really brill experience was is in a Huey with a Vietnam vet at the controls,
flying near the Inner German Border as the Iron Curtain was known at the
time. Twenty-five minutes of sheer terror, 'kin ace.

members. Groucho Marx

Old September 13th 06, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
sweller

Champ wrote:

http://www.champ.org.uk/boards/image...s/Russia%20043.
jpg

Like I said - poof.

The exhaust clag is wondrously Soviet. Works for a living but really is
a bit ****.

I have pictures of BR locos that look like that a few weeks ex-works.
Someone made the effort to make it look pretty but really were wasting
their time. It makes me all misty eyed.

--
Simon