The revolution will be live.

Old February 21st 06, 10:23 AM

Default The revolution will be live.

To paraphrase and possibly abuse the Gil Scott-Heron's famous words
and to plant a divergent thread;

The revolution will not be televised.

The revolution will be no re-run brothers;

The revolution will be live.

I think what frustrates me about watching the Games is we are seeing
NBC / IOC go down the same path that Sony and others went down while
only Apple embraced The Revolution. While Sony was busy authoring
spyware, Apple remade the media horizon.
We now have the technology to present each viewer his own Olympic mix.
I fully understand why Snowboard Cross is an Olympic sport but I
don't want to sit through hours of it to catch a glimpse of Nordic
racing or big hill ski jumping.
I hope the IOC wakes up and saves the games before we all tune out. We
should be able to pay a fee and to watch streams of the events we want
to see and to feast at that table until we can take no more. T.V. is
narrow band - one stream, one event - big brother at the console.
Give us our broadband. We will pay, we will watch.
The revolution will be live.

/john

Old February 21st 06, 11:46 AM

jgs wrote:
[...]

I have forwarded your request to His Steveness.

Joseph

Old February 21st 06, 03:58 PM

****, I'd just take a direct Eurosport feed on some 700-level channel
on my DirecTV. Then you could Tivo what you want.

Alas, NBC has some huge stranglehold on Olympics in the US, and they
control what we see. No one else can provide live (or delayed
coverage), from what I know.

For baseball fans (and I know there are SOME of you out there), it's
like the wonderful Saturday Fox broadcast - you get what Fox wants you
to see, and nothing else. Even for people like me who shell out $$$
for the Dtv baseball package, you bet blacked out of everything else.

It seems that both NBC with the Olys and MLB/Fox with Saturday baseball
are still living in some past-generation's television business model
where you buy the rights to something and then feed people what you
want them to see. For their sake (and ours) I hope they embrace the
new model - whatever you want, whenever you want, whereever you want -
or they are going to be left in the dust.

Mmmmmm - can't wait for those Saturday Giants games to start up again.
Oh boy.

bt