CBC TV ?

Old February 11th 06, 05:52 PM

Default CBC TV ?

Anyone interested in copying their tapes of the CBC or SRC Torino XC
coverage for me? Glad to reimburse you for your trouble. My other leads
have dried up.

Thanks,

John Wilke
Milwaukee

Old February 12th 06, 09:24 PM

JOHN !!

Hope you saw the massive 48 minutes of total XC coverage today (Sunday) of
the pursuit on NBC !!
It was actually OK !!
I'm not complaining !!

JK

oups.com...

Old February 18th 06, 03:36 PM

I admit that watching Al Trautwig call a race is like going to cross
country ski school. Just yesterday, I found out about the importance of
skiing in a group during an individual start race, which Al was saying
Anders Veerpalu needed to do if he was going to defend his 15k classic
medal. This was something Al pointed out as Veerpalu passed the
previous starter. And I really hadn't appreciated the importance in
skiing of "hitting a home run," which Al and co-announcer Robbins kept
saying is what the fastest skiers were doing. The women's relay is just
30 minutes away and I can hardly wait for the next lesson. Tapes of
these broadcasts will be priceless.

Gene
(thanks, Janne!)

"32 degrees" wrote:

JOHN !!

Hope you saw the massive 48 minutes of total XC coverage today
(Sunday) of the pursuit on NBC !!
It was actually OK !!
I'm not complaining !!

JK

oups.com...

Old February 18th 06, 05:51 PM

John, I have them (think all coverage so far) in high def if you are
interested. Could bittorrent them which has been working well for the
eurosport broadcasts. Or figure out something else.

I got to say Troutwig is ok. Robbins I think has said some pretty
obnoxious things all around. Figure folks that have covered cycling
would have a better idea of how strategic pack racing can be. And I am
tired of hearing stuff like where did this person with # (high number)
come from, what must Angerer be thinking having a scrub in front of him
.... Or the # 1 skier should be in front leading the pack or they are
going to lose.

I think if either of them had watched even one race of Eurosport
coverage of some previous XC ski race, their concept of XC strategy and
announcing would be greating improved. If Eurosport sells some DVDs or
tapes of the coverage, RSN should get together and mail them a copy for
the future good ...

Old February 18th 06, 09:24 PM

Nice I find Robbins very obnoxious and Troutwig is whatever. I
strongly feel both of them should listen to some eurosports XC ski
coverage before being allowed to announce any other XC ski events ...
Or find some US ski team alums to assist in the booth.

And the pack comment was relaed to their inane comments during the
pursuit and relay start events. I have not watched the interval start
races so can't comment on their insightfulness during that race format
(although I am not holding my breath for anything better).

I also strongly agree with the above comments that NBC showing as much
XC skiing as they have has been hopefully a boost for the sport in the
US. I have had a few friends comment "so that is what you go off and do
all those weekends in spandex, cool ...". NBC amount of coverage and
the camera shots of the races have been great. Kudos to them listening
to all of the pre-Olympic online surveys of what folks wanted to watch.
Just need to work a little on the announcing.

Old February 19th 06, 03:49 PM

Listen to you guys....We get the best coverage in years.. far fewer up
close and personal spots about obscure atheletes, minumum focus on the
US skiers if they are not in the hunt and some great video. Huge
improvement over past years.

....and people are still complaining...no it is not Eurosport but here
is a news flash, we don't get Eurosport in the US. Sure they would be
better if they had been broadcasting races weekly but for once every 4
yrs they are doing fine.

Al Trautwig is much better at this than in previous broadcasts and we
are seeing more actuall racing than ever before. I've been very
impressed and surprised at the quality of the presentations.

Old February 20th 06, 02:23 AM

Thanks for the offer ... an old friend in Detroit popped out of the
weeds and he's recording the CBC stuff for me ! Whooo hooo !

jw