helmets

Old January 19th 05, 06:29 PM
broady broady is offline
Junior Member

Default helmets

whats a good brand of helmet. And the ones to stay away from ?
Old January 19th 05, 11:08 PM
Dmitry

"broady" wrote

whats a good brand of helmet. And the ones to stay away from ?

I love my Burton R.E.D. It's so light I'm not sure it's heavier
than a good thick beanie For whatever reason I actually have
problems with heavy helmets, throws me off balance and I sometimes
ruin my neck ligaments. It's all gone after I've got that light
helmet.

Old January 19th 05, 11:25 PM
Waco Paco

broady wrote:

whats a good brand of helmet. And the ones to stay away from ?

Protec seems to make nice helmets. Well they're the only brand that fits
my round head right. Their are other brands out there too. Boeri, Gyro,
K2, Salomon, RED. Some are helmet brands only, others are part of
snowboard/ski manufacturers.

stu
Old January 20th 05, 01:02 AM
jaycb74

Giro are real nice, very light and functional. I don't know how I ever went
without mine.

--
broady

Old January 20th 05, 01:45 AM
Mike M. Miskulin

broady wrote in
:

whats a good brand of helmet.

the one that your goggles fit
Old January 20th 05, 04:48 AM
Waco Paco

Mike M. Miskulin wrote:

broady wrote in
:

whats a good brand of helmet.

the one that your goggles fit

and more importantly, your head.
Old January 20th 05, 02:46 PM
Ulrich Gonter-Linz, DG7NFX

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 18:29:33 +0000, broady
wrote:

whats a good brand of helmet. And the ones to stay away from ?

no idea. I like my Dainese Fun Helmet. Very comfortable for _my_ head.
Good price (~80 EUR). Worn for about 5 long days, so far...

Ulrich
Old January 20th 05, 11:01 PM
David

"Waco Paco" wrote in message ...

and more importantly, your head.

Yup. Its gotta fit. I bought a Leedom, because of all the helmets in the shop when I
decided to buy, it was the one that fit best. No accident I think--Leedom helmets
are offered in more sizes than offered by some competitors, sizes including M/L, L,
XL, XXL, XXXL. The single-adjustment vent is pretty ice too.

Might have been better to save a little weight with a helmet where the hard
shell stopped above the ears. If they'd had one that fit...

Lots of helmets have stiff plastic ear flaps canted inwards at the bottom.
Every one I've tried of that type was painful on the ears.

How well do they protect you? Mine is Snell certified, but I still got a mild
concussion the one time I slammed my head while wearing it. The snow
wasn't really hard either. Would I have been worse off without it? Likely,
but who knows?

Old January 20th 05, 11:59 PM
Dean

David wrote:
Yup. Its gotta fit. I bought a Leedom, because of all the helmets in the shop when I
decided to buy, it was the one that fit best.

I'd not heard of that brand until I read your message. It is not sold
locally. Which model did you get?

I have a Giro Fuse that uses a lever to adjust venting rather than
removing and inserting plugs. I open the vents for the trip down and
close them for the trip up. I might replace it next year. It has saved
my head from lacerations. Imagine your head sliding over ice hard
corduroy.

Dean
Old January 21st 05, 12:14 AM
Chris J.

"Dean" wrote in message
David wrote:
Yup. Its gotta fit. I bought a Leedom, because of all the helmets in

the shop when I
decided to buy, it was the one that fit best.

I'd not heard of that brand until I read your message. It is not sold
locally. Which model did you get?

I have a Giro Fuse that uses a lever to adjust venting rather than
removing and inserting plugs. I open the vents for the trip down and
close them for the trip up. I might replace it next year. It has saved
my head from lacerations. Imagine your head sliding over ice hard
corduroy.

Dean

Can you please say more about the Fuse? I'm thinking about getting one but
at about $150 USD I've hesitated to pull the trigger. I have a 9 that I like
a lot but it's about 4 years old and has taken a few hits, plus the padding
is starting to fall out. The vent system on the Fuse looks awesome. I'm sure
I'd be happy with another 9, but the Fuse is tempting me

Chris

Helmets! Champ Snowboarding 25 January 14th 05 04:39 AM
Helmets still! Jason Pereira Snowboarding 0 January 11th 05 01:06 PM
Helmets Scott Elliot Nordic Skiing 2 September 21st 04 11:08 PM
Helmets - any available with soft padding? Henry Snowboarding 8 February 26th 04 01:54 PM
Helmets - thermal protection Ian Turek Snowboarding 4 November 13th 03 07:35 PM