Looking at the glory shot...

Old July 27th 03, 02:15 AM
Jay Pique

Default Looking at the glory shot...

I took a most excellent digger while biking today, complete with blood
and everything. For some reason I thought it might be cool to look
back and see what I had just descended while still moving downhill at
a fairly rapid rate of speed. Not a good idea. It was sort of like a
spontaneous compression on skis, only the rebound from the shock and
the fulcrum-like effect of the handlebars made for a much more
spectacular launch. Hips above head, arms flailing, and with a
mountain bike still stuck to my left foot I came to an abrupt and
painful halt about 6 feet up an aspen tree. After a slight rebound, I
fell the rest of the way to the ground, landing (as always) square on
my left hip. While the hip was only mildly abraded, the resulting
'bruise on top of bruise' effect should make for some intriguing color
schemes. As for the bloody bark-burns on my arm and torso, I'm sure
they'll be fine - especially after I find some ashes to rub in them.

This sort of reminds me of the time I was going for my personal best
"how long can I ride with my eyes closed" time and ended up sprawled
and mangled in the roadside ditch.

Oh well - it was WORTH it. : )

JP
*******************************
Again, learning only through experience.
Old July 27th 03, 04:39 AM
Jay Pique

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 20:37:55 -0700, The Real Bev
wrote:

Jay Pique wrote:

[...]

You are insane. Get help.

Post forging isn't cool "Bev". Horvath is still sending me hate mail
for my transgressions of several months ago.

I got a nasty bruise on my right hip and gravel rash on my right elbow
because I mistook a curb for a driveway at perhaps 10 mph. I still can't
figure out how I could do something that stupid.

You should hang out with me for a while. You'll feel much
better....and worse. Hope your hip is ok. I'm semi-thinking of
breaking out an old Cooperall for tomorrow.

JP
**************************************
Specialized FSR felt too spongy to me. Sugar3 still on top.

Peaks Trail in the a.m., and there's no looking back.

Go Lance.

CLT "The Sweetest Thing"
Old July 27th 03, 04:49 AM
Vern93

In article ,
The Real Bev wrote:

I got a nasty bruise on my right hip and gravel rash on my right elbow
because I mistook a curb for a driveway at perhaps 10 mph. I still can't
figure out how I could do something that stupid.

That's nothing....

I have a friend who competed in this year's eco-challenge with out a
scratch then came home and broke his arm falling off his bike in his
neighborhood.

Don't worry, we were very "gentlemanly" about it and didn't razz him
unmercifully for weeks...

Dave
Old July 27th 03, 04:59 AM
Vern93

In article ,
Jay Pique wrote:

This sort of reminds me of the time I was going for my personal best
"how long can I ride with my eyes closed" time and ended up sprawled
and mangled in the roadside ditch.

Oh yeah? Last month my friend "Tiffany" (not her real name) was
mountain biking alone after working all night. She hit a
"whoop-dee-doo" wrong and separated from her bike mid air. As she was
heading for a tree, she twisted in the air and impacted with her back
and broke all the ribs and the shoulder blade on one side... and dropped
her lung. Oops.

She used her bike as a crutch with her right hand and walked out of the
woods and found a house to call an ambulance from. In her left hand,
she carried her tire tool in case she had to decompress her chest if her
pneumo developed into a tension pneumo. That's my girl!

She is painfully aware she might have done things a little differently,
so there is no need to point out her lapses. Ironically, she considers
me to have deplorable judgement in such matters.

Dave
Old July 27th 03, 08:03 AM
Jay Pique

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 23:59:18 -0500, Vern93 wrote:

In article ,
Jay Pique wrote:

This sort of reminds me of the time I was going for my personal best
"how long can I ride with my eyes closed" time and ended up sprawled
and mangled in the roadside ditch.

Oh yeah? Last month my friend "Tiffany" (not her real name) was
mountain biking alone after working all night. She hit a
"whoop-dee-doo" wrong and separated from her bike mid air. As she was
heading for a tree, she twisted in the air and impacted with her back
and broke all the ribs and the shoulder blade on one side... and dropped
her lung. Oops.

frantically disinfecting his ash-filled wounds I'm not worthy. And
I'm glad - my god.

She used her bike as a crutch with her right hand and walked out of the
woods and found a house to call an ambulance from. In her left hand,
she carried her tire tool in case she had to decompress her chest if her
pneumo developed into a tension pneumo. That's my girl!

What would she have had to do with the tire tool? If she's gonna gore
a hole in her chest with a tire lever she might as well just bring a
spoon along to make things easier. shudder

She is painfully aware she might have done things a little differently,
so there is no need to point out her lapses. Ironically, she considers
me to have deplorable judgement in such matters.

You do. Just go with it - it'll make things easier.

Dave

JP
*********************************
Still posting.
Old July 27th 03, 12:35 PM
Vern93

In article ,
Jay Pique wrote:

What would she have had to do with the tire tool? If she's gonna gore
a hole in her chest with a tire lever she might as well just bring a
spoon along to make things easier. shudder

Sorry, I meant her multi tool. It has a phillips head tip. I don't
think even she is tough enough to enter her own chest with a nylon tire
lever

Dave
Old July 27th 03, 03:04 PM
Sue

In message , The Real Bev
writes
Jay Pique wrote:

Hips above head, arms flailing, and with a
mountain bike still stuck to my left foot I came to an abrupt and
painful halt about 6 feet up an aspen tree.
Oh well - it was WORTH it. : )

You are insane. Get help.

That's right - it sounds like a candidate for the Most Amusing Crash of
the Year Award, but how do we know it wasn't a fantasy or a delusion?
Were there witnesses? Did anyone get 30-sec mpeg?

Oh, and check you have the right cleats (black with an M stamped on) -
they're to protect your bike in the event of an accident!
--
Sue ];(
Old July 27th 03, 05:58 PM
pigo

"Sue" wrote in message

That's right - it sounds like a candidate for the Most Amusing Crash

of
the Year Award, but how do we know it wasn't a fantasy or a delusion?
Were there witnesses? Did anyone get 30-sec mpeg?

Sounds to me like the kind of crash to be expected once or twice per
year if you're riding. I did.

A good one maybe but hardly award winning.

Old July 27th 03, 06:59 PM
The Real Bev

Vern93 wrote:

In article ,
Jay Pique wrote:

What would she have had to do with the tire tool? If she's gonna gore
a hole in her chest with a tire lever she might as well just bring a
spoon along to make things easier. shudder

Sorry, I meant her multi tool. It has a phillips head tip. I don't
think even she is tough enough to enter her own chest with a nylon tire
lever

What idiot would use a phillips for that? You'd have to fall on it in
order to make it work properly, and that isn't sufficiently controllable.
I'd recommend the 'awl' tool, followed by the sawblade. If you don't have
those, you're seriously tool-deprived.

BTW, I broke a Specialized tire lever last time I had to use them. I
didn't think that was possible. From now on, nothing but those hot-forged
Real Steel tire levers.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old July 28th 03, 01:17 PM
Walt

Jay Pique wrote:
On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 20:37:55 -0700, The Real Bev

You are insane. Get help.

Post forging isn't cool "Bev". Horvath is still sending me hate mail
for my transgressions of several months ago.

You get hate mail? You lucky son of a gun. The ******* hasn't written
to me in months.

--
//-Walt