Things one would like to do in a good snow year

Old February 15th 04, 01:22 PM
funkraum

Default Things one would like to do in a good snow year

+ The ring at Avoriaz

+ Just about everything else in the Port du Soleil except Flaine.

+ Ski down to Chamonix

+ Verbier: Ski all the way from The foot of the Tortin down to Thyon.

+ The Harz

+ Kitzbühel etc

Old February 15th 04, 08:16 PM
Ian Spare

funkraum wrote:

+ The ring at Avoriaz

+ Just about everything else in the Port du Soleil except Flaine.

Flaine isn't in the Portes du Soleil although it's as well linked as
some the stations that are supposed to be.

Old February 16th 04, 08:19 AM
Jeremy Mortimer

funkraum wrote in
:

+ The ring at Avoriaz

+ Just about everything else in the Port du Soleil except Flaine.

+ Ski down to Chamonix

+ Verbier: Ski all the way from The foot of the Tortin down to Thyon.

+ The Harz

+ Kitzbühel etc

Verbier - Le Chable.

First tracks in the Couloir des Pisteurs.

Powder day at Habère-Poche.

Ski de fond across Geneva to get to work.

Actually most or all of these except the last are at least briefly possible
most seasons; it's more a matter of being there at the right time.

Flaine isn't in the PdS - do you mean Avoriaz again? I have in the past
wandered around the PdS over 2 days from Avoriaz - put a toothbrush in the
rucksack and stayed in a hotel in (if I remember corerctly) Morgins.

Jeremy
Old February 17th 04, 06:17 PM
funkraum

Ian Spare wrote:
funkraum wrote:

+ The ring at Avoriaz

+ Just about everything else in the Port du Soleil except Flaine.

Flaine isn't in the Portes du Soleil although it's as well linked as
some the stations that are supposed to be.

I pronounce guilt by proximity.

Old February 17th 04, 07:31 PM
funkraum

Jeremy Mortimer wrote:
funkraum wrote in

Verbier - Le Chable.

I like your thinking. Never tried this. Surely it would have to be
forty below after a three meter dump ?

[...]
Ski de fond across Geneva to get to work.

Almost as enjoyable as watching all the automobile smashes.

Actually most or all of these except the last are at least briefly possible
most seasons; it's more a matter of being there at the right time.

With a chain of web-cams situated down the valley, looking up at the
snow line, then it would be easy to tell when 'surf was up'. This
would not be as flattering to the resorts as their cameras which are
pointed at big patch of white.

Techno-economically speaking, we are not far away from a small band of
subversives being able to mount cameras on a telegraph pole or
apartment balcony and have the image fed to the web via GPRS. Voltage
would have to be supplied from a solar panel in the absence of supply
by friendly parties.

Also:

+ Jura - Alpine/ski-tour/ski du fond/anything. Great to be among the
trees.

Although I think the Transjurassienne was cancelled on recent year due
to lack of snow.

http://www.transjurassienne.com/

Old February 18th 04, 08:54 AM
Ian Spare

Jeremy Mortimer wrote:

I'll say. When we had the dump a few weeks ago I ended up helping a lone
policeman push stuck cars to the side of the road. Note to Genevois(es):
if you own a BMW, do yourself and everyone else a favour and leave it at
home when it snows.

:-) Can you imagine what it's like round Frankfurt after snow ?

Old February 18th 04, 10:25 AM
ACey

Jeremy Mortimer wrote in
:

SNIP

I'll say. When we had the dump a few weeks ago I ended up helping a
lone policeman push stuck cars to the side of the road. Note to
Genevois(es): if you own a BMW, do yourself and everyone else a favour
and leave it at home when it snows.

SNIP

I dunno - when we had our one day of snow last year (2003) which brought
most of the country to a halt, I was one of the few people who got up
Castle Hill in Cambridge & I was in my 525TDS, and I'm not a particularly
skilled driver. Nice, controlled four wheel drift all the way up

[Seriously, rear wheel drive can be just as effective in snow as front
wheel drive and at least if it starts to slide you have some chance of
catching it, unlike FWD.]

AndyC.
Old February 21st 04, 09:22 PM
Tommy Petersson

Jeremy Mortimer wrote in
:

funkraum wrote in
news

Jeremy Mortimer wrote:
funkraum wrote in

Verbier - Le Chable.

I like your thinking. Never tried this. Surely it would have to be
forty below after a three meter dump ?

It's not that uncommon. I've never done it, but I've often seen
tracks. It looks as though there's considerable scope for getting
mixed up with barbed wire fences, lost in peoples' gardens, etc.

Been there, done that. Barbed wire it was, definitely. Fortunately most
animals ween't there during the winter.

/Tommy P.