Boots Slipping....

Old November 20th 03, 05:57 PM
Jess McClelland

Default Boots Slipping....

I recently bought some Burton snowboard boots (size 13), and they are
slipping a little bit on the back heel. I have slipped on an extra
pair of socks, which helps...but doesn't quit take up all the space.

Any suggestions for modification to reduce heel slip? How about
tucking another sock in there behind my heel???

Thnks...

Jess
Old November 20th 03, 09:00 PM
valerie

I had the same problem in burtons - they are awful if you have narrow
or thin (not much meat between the top and bottom of your feet) feet.

Your best bet if you don't want to buy new shoes or return the ones
you've got is to go to the best store around and ask for a "boot
doctor"

They'll be able to make adjustments to the liner by adding padding to
make them fit better. If you've got the cash get new boots.

Valerie
Old November 20th 03, 09:39 PM
Jason M.

"I recently bought some Burton snowboard boots (size 13), and they are
slipping a little bit on the back heel. I have slipped on an extra
pair of socks, which helps...but doesn't quit take up all the space. "

I wore two pairs of socks in my sz 10 Burtons for 3 seasons before I
finally broke down and bought another pair a half size smaller. The
difference is huge. My turns are MUCH more responsive. Heel slip can
create a dangerous situation. If your board doesn't turn when you
initiate, you could end up hitting a person or a tree...or just
looking like you can't turn. :-P

"Any suggestions for modification to reduce heel slip? How about
tucking another sock in there behind my heel??? "

This sounds like a bad idea. Unreliable at best, uncomfortable
probably, and potentially dangerous.

I would recommend listing your current boots on e-bay and selling them
for whatever you can get, and buying a pair of 12.5 boots.
It also pays to try on many different manufacturer's boots. Different
shapes, different fits.

Good luck!~
Jason
Old November 21st 03, 05:33 PM
Arvin Chang

(Jess McClelland) wrote in message om...
I recently bought some Burton snowboard boots (size 13), and they are
slipping a little bit on the back heel. I have slipped on an extra
pair of socks, which helps...but doesn't quit take up all the space.

Any suggestions for modification to reduce heel slip? How about
tucking another sock in there behind my heel???

Thnks...

Jess

Are you tightening the lower laces enough? Ideally you want the boot
to have fit better back in the store. Nothing beats a pair of boots
that fit you well. If you tightened the laces above you ankle already,
my first suggestion is to switch to a different pair of boots.

I do not recommend doing any type of tricks with socks - double socks
or whatever. They do sell heel straps that go from your heel around
you ankle to keep your heel locked in. Also supposedly a lot of high
end shops (that sell racing gear) tend to have people that well make
inserts and heelpads to up outside your liner to take up the extra
space. I never use them and cannot vouh for them. I have user
Superfeet insoles and they help a little with heel lift (since their
heelcup is far better than the regular one you get in most boots).
They have a 30-day guarantee on their product, although I got mine at
REI which already has an awesome return policy. I'm thinking about get
the higher end heat moldable cork ones this season.

--Arvin
Old November 21st 03, 08:44 PM
Chet Hayes

(Jason M.) wrote in message . com...
[...]

I agree with that advice. It's virtually impossible to fix a boot
that is too big and suffering heel lift. If two pairs of socks still
leave it that loose, I'd put them up on ebay.

When trying on boots, I always use a thin sock. If they fit snug and
well, then I know later as they break in, I can always go to a heavier
sock if I need to.