Good skiing closish to Boston or New York for day trip.

Old February 12th 04, 05:33 PM
Greg Hilton

Default Good skiing closish to Boston or New York for day trip.

I asked this question last year and ended up heading to Mount Snow, where I
had a good time despite the bitter cold.

so same question again, Who has good conditions within a similiar drive
time as Mount Snow? Last year it took me a touch under 5 hours with one
stop for coffee. I will only get one days skiing in.

I could fly into either Boston or New York, but need to head back to
Trumbull, CT on the evening after I ski...so would want to be within say a
4 or 5 hour drive of there.

I mostly ski Europe, off-piste and difficult runs, so am after
anything good and reasonably challenging

thanks in advance,

Greg

Old February 13th 04, 02:48 PM
JQ

"Greg Hilton" wrote in message
I asked this question last year and ended up heading to Mount Snow, where

had a good time despite the bitter cold.

so same question again, Who has good conditions within a similiar drive
time as Mount Snow? Last year it took me a touch under 5 hours with one
stop for coffee. I will only get one days skiing in.

I could fly into either Boston or New York, but need to head back to
Trumbull, CT on the evening after I ski...so would want to be within say a
4 or 5 hour drive of there.

I mostly ski Europe, off-piste and difficult runs, so am after
anything good and reasonably challenging

thanks in advance,

Greg

Hi Greg,

If you go north you can hit Wild Cat and Attitash Bear both in NH or got a
little further north and do Sunday River in Maine From Boston to Attitash
Bear is about 2.5 hrs to Wild Cat about 3 hrs and 4.5 hrs and 5 hrs
respectively back to Trumbull and to Sunday River about 3 hrs and 5.5 hours
to Trumbull. For a wider range of skiing I would recommend Sunday River
also best snow conditions and for steep and narrow Wild Cat or Attitash in
that order.

My favorite is Sunday River, it has everything that the East skiing offers,
White Heat one of the Steepest runs in the East, one side semi groomed and
other moguls. It has several other nice mogul runs to wow the legs, it has
several tree runs, several very nice cruiser runs and other steep wide runs.
The crowds would be nonexistent on a Monday, there are I think 7 mountain
peaks and each offers different skiing. It would take 2 to 3 days skiing to
really get the most out of the place. Since you have great skiing
experience you wouldn't have any problems getting around.

I hope this helps,

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old February 13th 04, 04:17 PM
Weather Machine

Catch a plane to Salt Lake.

Old February 13th 04, 07:04 PM
Monique Y. Herman

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated.] On
2004-02-13, JQ penned:

[...]

I second the vote for Sunday River. Fun place. It's the best skiing
I've done in the East.

--
monique

Old February 13th 04, 08:48 PM
Jerry Albro

Well, I'm heading up to Gore Mountain for 4 days. I've never been to
Gore before, but it looks look the fun factor should be equal or better
than Snow, which is where I normally go. It's probably about 45 minutes
further north than Snow, but most of the trip is straight up the thruway
(87). It has about 2100 vertical feet, about 500 more than Snow and it
looks like conditions are quite good right now. 7 of 8 named glades are
open. I can give a little post-trip report Tues night or Weds if you like.

- Jerry

Trail map : http://www.goremountain.com/mountain/i/maplarge.jpg

Old February 13th 04, 08:49 PM
Jon C

Killington is maybe 3 hours from Boston and always has some great skiing.
It's usually crowded, but won't be on a Monday. Huge mountain, has
everything you could want. Nice glades.

Okemo and Stratton are both entirely decent mountains within about 3 and a
half hours, I haven't been to either but they seem popular. Okemo has a
reputation as a great place for snowboarders.

Then there's Sugarbush. This is one of my favorite mountains. Pretty
unique, there's a chairlift that brings you to a completely different
mountain with quite different trails.

And if you're up for a good challenge, Mad River Glen is under 4 hours away.
It's pretty well known for having some great snow and seriously good trails.

Jon

Old February 13th 04, 09:29 PM
Dave Stallard

Jon C wrote:

Killington is maybe 3 hours from Boston and always has some great skiing.
It's usually crowded, but won't be on a Monday. Huge mountain, has
everything you could want. Nice glades.

I wouldn't say it's a huge mountain, I'd say it's a huge area that is
strung out over several peaks. Not my favorite, as I've said before.
Kind of the LA of VT ski mountains - think sprawl. But you'll always
find many people to argue against that point vociferously.

Okemo and Stratton are both entirely decent mountains within about 3 and a
half hours, I haven't been to either but they seem popular. Okemo has a
reputation as a great place for snowboarders.

Okemo is more "modern" than Stratton, but not in a good way. I don't
like it. Stratton is more of a classic area, but in a very expensive
sense of classic. A cruiser's mountain, par excellence.

Then there's Sugarbush. This is one of my favorite mountains. Pretty
unique, there's a chairlift that brings you to a completely different
mountain with quite different trails.

Sugarbush has a real old-time feel to it, but with modern high-speed
lifts. Not that many trails, but those it has count. I was just there
last weekend. One of the VT classics, along with Stowe, and the wilder
Mad River Glen.

Dave

Old February 13th 04, 11:49 PM
JQ

"Dave Stallard" wrote in message
Jon C wrote:

[...]

Mad River Glen is nice if you like to ski moguls, trees and ride super slow
lifts.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old February 14th 04, 01:59 AM
Kenny1111

In article , says...
Jon C wrote:

[...]

Of the mountains mentioned above, it would really depend on what you
like. If you want challenging, natural, ungroomed trails, I'd say
Sugarbush and especially Mad River Glen would be the best, and probably
have the least crowds. Okemo (and Stratton, though I only skied there 1
day) are flatter, and highly groomed, which could be bad or good
depending on what you want. Killington has the most variety, and you
can probably find something no matter what you like (though if you favor
either of the extremes, you might as well go to them).

Old February 14th 04, 03:28 AM
Kenny1111

In article , says...

Jon C wrote:

[...]

As much as slow lifts can be annoying, when I've been to MRG I've
actually welcomed the slow lifts b/c the terrain tires me out so much
:-)

Tai Chi Skiing yunlong Alpine Skiing 8 December 17th 04 04:50 PM
Is Are-Duved good for nordic skiing Mark Eastman Nordic Skiing 0 November 26th 04 09:27 PM
RFC - The Nordic Skiing Project the Nordic Skiing Project Nordic Skiing 2 September 24th 04 05:50 PM
Skiing with Tommy Rob Bradlee Nordic Skiing 7 December 2nd 03 09:03 PM
Good skiing holiday website Chris Fielder European Ski Resorts 11 November 12th 03 07:16 AM