warm gloves: opinions on Swany sx-15 x-over glove?

Old December 7th 04, 02:51 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

Default warm gloves: opinions on Swany sx-15 x-over glove?

Well, finally got out to A-Basin for our first ski trip of the year. Got
there well before the lifts started, had a nice breakfast burrito with hot
cocoa and a banana (yes, all in the same meal), and made our way to the lift,
which was just starting.

Anyway. A-Basin was its usual not-terribly-sunny self, and the ends of my
fingers were painfully cold. But it really wasn't *that* cold ... probably
right around freezing. Okay, maybe a bit colder.

I was wearing the Kombi lobster claws I got several years ago. They
have two "fingers" and a thumb, with a five-fingered liner that goes inside.
My hands always get really wet in them, I guess because my hands are clammy.

My dream is to one day go skiing without painfully cold fingers.

I strongly flirted with the idea of mittens, but I am really nervous about not
having at least some finger dexterity. I went to a local shop today and ended
up with the Swany gloves mentioned in the subject. The outer layer is almost
all leather of varying types, and they have the gauntlet-style wrist
protection that I like (pull it over the jacket sleeve and cinch it down).
There's also a pouch that can be used to hold a hand-warmer. I've never used
those, so I don't know if this is important to me.

Anyway, the salesguy made several claims that I'd like to have
confirmed/denied/discussed:

1) He claimed that leather gloves are warmer than other materials due to being
less porous than fabrics, which are woven.

2) He claimed that, from year to year, either Marmot or Swany will have the
warmest glove on the market.

3) He claimed that, in extremely high-quality handwear, a mitten won't be any
warmer than a glove (this is the one I really wonder about)

4) He claimed that this particular glove had been tested and found to be the
warmest (objectively, via temperature) of all the gloves tested

5) He claimed that the fleece liner will wick away my sweat and keep my hands
from being wet.

6) He said that his gf, who also has poor circulation and constant hands of
ice, wears these and is happy with them. (I'm not asking you guys to confirm
this, but do you think this is a) true or b) a tactic to get me to buy a
rather pricey pair of gloves?)

Finally, I'm wondering if buying gloves is the answer at all, or if I need to
keep my body warmer somehow so that it doesn't say "sayonara!" to my
extremities. Thing is, if I dress any warmer than I do, I'll be sweating when
I ski or am standing in line, and even with wicking fabrics throughout, that
causes enough wetness to make me cold again. Especially as sports bras don't
do a great job of wicking, anyway.

--
monique

Old December 7th 04, 03:19 AM
Mary Malmros

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

Finally, I'm wondering if buying gloves is the answer at all, or if I need to
keep my body warmer somehow so that it doesn't say "sayonara!" to my
extremities. Thing is, if I dress any warmer than I do, I'll be sweating when
I ski or am standing in line, and even with wicking fabrics throughout, that
causes enough wetness to make me cold again. Especially as sports bras don't
do a great job of wicking, anyway.

Because they're cotton. Don't wear a sports bra for skiing, for
heaven's sake, it's not like you're jogging.

Do both your hands and feet get cold easily? Have they ever turned
whitish in conditions that are really too warm for frostbite?

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old December 7th 04, 05:22 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-07, Mary Malmros penned:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

Finally, I'm wondering if buying gloves is the answer at all, or if I need
to keep my body warmer somehow so that it doesn't say "sayonara!" to my
extremities. Thing is, if I dress any warmer than I do, I'll be sweating
when I ski or am standing in line, and even with wicking fabrics
throughout, that causes enough wetness to make me cold again. Especially
as sports bras don't do a great job of wicking, anyway.

Because they're cotton. Don't wear a sports bra for skiing, for heaven's
sake, it's not like you're jogging.

Do both your hands and feet get cold easily? Have they ever turned whitish
in conditions that are really too warm for frostbite?

Um, my sports bras aren't cotton. They're a synth material, although the
label's been washed too many times to read clearly.

Seriously, what would you recommend wearing to keep your boobs from flying all
over the place in painful ways while skiing? I can't imagine landing the
tiniest jump without some decent support.

My hands and feet do get cold easily. I don't believe they've ever turned
white. In fact, according to my husband, they don't *feel* abnormally cold to
him. Still, they cause me pain, enough so that I have to make hot cocoa stops
when I'd rather be skiing. Any ideas?

--
monique

Old December 7th 04, 06:07 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-07, AstroPax penned:
On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 23:22:41 -0600, "Monique Y. Mudama"
wrote:

Um, my sports bras aren't cotton. They're a synth material, although the
label's been washed too many times to read clearly.

Just out of curiosity, theoretically, if you could actually read those
un-readable and faded labels, what would the size be?

What, this isn't off-topic? =P

If I could read the labels, I'm sure they'd be whatever size best fits my
body.

--
monique

Old December 7th 04, 06:35 AM
The Real Bev

On 2004-12-07, Mary Malmros penned:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

[...]

Duct tape? I was once told by models that they used masking tape to
hang their boobs from their shoulders when appropriate, but that was
before duct tape was discovered.

Worse than skiing is riding on the back of a GoldWing with bad shocks.
At one point I was holding my boobs in my hands to keep them from
bouncing around painfully. The next day I bought a sports bra.

My hands and feet do get cold easily. I don't believe they've ever turned
white.

That's good. When I was smoking my index fingers would shrivel and turn
white and numb for perhaps half an hour if I touched something cold, but
not since I stopped.

In fact, according to my husband, they don't *feel* abnormally cold to
him. Still, they cause me pain, enough so that I have to make hot cocoa stops
when I'd rather be skiing. Any ideas?

Yeah. You're doomed. My 88-YO MIL has been cold all her life (she is
comfy, however, in Palm Springs at noon in the middle of summer), even
when she was young, before the heart trouble kicked in. None of her
stable of doctors has an explanation -- not the neurologist or the vein
man or the cardiologists or the orthopedist or the GP or...

What about heated boots and/or polypropylene glove/sock liners?

--
Cheers,
Bev

Old December 7th 04, 12:56 PM
Mary Malmros

On 2004-12-07, Mary Malmros penned:

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

[...]

Something decently constructed out of synth materials with NO cotton.
That should be sufficient. The problem is that almost all sports bras
are made with cotton, but there's one or two in the Title 9 catalog that
aren't.

My hands and feet do get cold easily. I don't believe they've ever turned
white. In fact, according to my husband, they don't *feel* abnormally cold to
him. Still, they cause me pain, enough so that I have to make hot cocoa stops
when I'd rather be skiing. Any ideas?

That's the kind of problem that I take to my Chinese herbalist friend,
who's usually got something that helps. I actually have an herbal
formula that he gave me to improve circulation, because my hands and
feet tend to get cold too (although not so much while skiing, more when
I'm not moving).

These are the kind of health issues that a conventional Western
physician doesn't typically want to tackle, so if it is something you
want to resolve, a Chinese herbalist might not be a bad way to go.

Old December 7th 04, 01:03 PM
Ollie Clark

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
[...]

This is pretty much all my opinion:

1) He claimed that leather gloves are warmer than other materials due to being
less porous than fabrics, which are woven.

That would just stop more water getting into the glove, surely. I'd have
thought Goretex or similar would be better as they aren't porous at all.

2) He claimed that, from year to year, either Marmot or Swany will have the
warmest glove on the market.

Not sure. I'd have to take his word for it.

3) He claimed that, in extremely high-quality handwear, a mitten won't be any
warmer than a glove (this is the one I really wonder about)

I can't see how that'd be true. In a mitten, your fingers are together so
they warm each other up. In a glove they're seperate so they only have the
insulation from the glove to keep them warm.

4) He claimed that this particular glove had been tested and found to be the
warmest (objectively, via temperature) of all the gloves tested

Hmm. I'd want to know how they'd been tested.

5) He claimed that the fleece liner will wick away my sweat and keep my hands
from being wet.

Probably true as long as the sweat can get out through the outer layer.

6) He said that his gf, who also has poor circulation and constant hands of
ice, wears these and is happy with them. (I'm not asking you guys to confirm
this, but do you think this is a) true or b) a tactic to get me to buy a
rather pricey pair of gloves?)

You'd have to make your own decision on that.

Finally, I'm wondering if buying gloves is the answer at all, or if I need to
keep my body warmer somehow so that it doesn't say "sayonara!" to my
extremities. Thing is, if I dress any warmer than I do, I'll be sweating when
I ski or am standing in line, and even with wicking fabrics throughout, that
causes enough wetness to make me cold again. Especially as sports bras don't
do a great job of wicking, anyway.

One tactic a ski instrcutor told me about ages ago is to spin your arms
around like a windmill if your fingers get cold, it forces the blood to
them and warms them up. If your body is warm but your fingers are cold
this works really well. Suprisingly well in fact - about 15 seconds is all
it takes for my fingers to warm up. You can do the same with your toes by
swinging your legs (obviously not like a windmill unless you're very
flexible!)

--
"Fighting terrorists with a military invasion is like trying to kill
a bee by shooting its beehive with a shotgun." - Anonymous, USENET

Old December 7th 04, 01:03 PM
Janet

Mary Malmros wrote:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

Finally, I'm wondering if buying gloves is the answer at all, or if I
need to
keep my body warmer somehow so that it doesn't say "sayonara!" to my
extremities. Thing is, if I dress any warmer than I do, I'll be
sweating when
I ski or am standing in line, and even with wicking fabrics
throughout, that
causes enough wetness to make me cold again. Especially as sports
bras don't
do a great job of wicking, anyway.

Because they're cotton. Don't wear a sports bra for skiing, for
heaven's sake, it's not like you're jogging.

So what do you suggest? I find sportsbras more comfortable than regular
bras while skiing. Unfortunatly (or fortunately?) I can't go without.

Do both your hands and feet get cold easily? Have they ever turned
whitish in conditions that are really too warm for frostbite?

Best gloves I've ever owned. From LL Bean. They're goretex with a
separate fleece inner glove. (I bought a lightweight glove liner for
when fleece is not needed). Never had cold hands/fingers in them, even
in below zero temps, and the goretex keeps the wind out.

Before I got these, I always wore mittens because other gloves were not
warm enough. I never thought I had a problem with mittens and dexterity.
Of course the lock on my old ski tote was designed to be used with
mittens - they don't make locks like that anymore.

Janet

Old December 7th 04, 03:34 PM
Mary Malmros

Janet wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

Finally, I'm wondering if buying gloves is the answer at all, or if I
need to
keep my body warmer somehow so that it doesn't say "sayonara!" to my
extremities. Thing is, if I dress any warmer than I do, I'll be
sweating when
I ski or am standing in line, and even with wicking fabrics
throughout, that
causes enough wetness to make me cold again. Especially as sports
bras don't
do a great job of wicking, anyway.

Because they're cotton. Don't wear a sports bra for skiing, for
heaven's sake, it's not like you're jogging.

So what do you suggest? I find sportsbras more comfortable than regular
bras while skiing. Unfortunatly (or fortunately?) I can't go without.

There are a few non-cotton sports bras out there. Take a look at
title9sports.com. They now have a category called "best wicking bras"
that are non-cotton.

Old December 7th 04, 05:17 PM
lal_truckee

On 2004-12-07, AstroPax penned:

wrote:

Um, my sports bras aren't cotton. They're a synth material, although the
label's been washed too many times to read clearly.

Just out of curiosity, theoretically, if you could actually read those
un-readable and faded labels, what would the size be?

What, this isn't off-topic? =P

Falls under the ski-clothing discussion exemption rule...
Gotta get all the details so's we can advise the next questionee
appropriately... (There's also the orange exemption rule, but you didn't
mention color.)

I'm with you (well, not in personal equipment, maybe, but) - I'd think
skiing at a high level would be tougher on the, uh, tissue than jogging.
(I also think I've seen appropriate garments advertised for the purpose
of containing excess, uh, motion, in ski catalogs, so synth wicking
items are certainly available.

I'd advise using them, if any young women wanted to come around and
discuss intimate garments with me - all in the interests of promoting
skiing. Really.

I suppose you have considered the possibility that un-readable and faded
labels may indicate reduced wicking qualities and it might be time to
purchase a new uh, garment? My good ol' Wallace Beery Patagonia
expedition top fails the wicking test completely these day, due to
excess wear and some tear - had to finally replace it a couple of years
ago; I'm still heart-broken.