Resorts within 2 hours of Geneva...

Old November 10th 05, 10:37 AM
Norman

Default Resorts within 2 hours of Geneva...

I've booked flights to Geneva and a car for the last Weekend of Jan.
Obviously snow conditions will play a major part in the final decision but
in the hypothetical situation of all resorts having the same conditions
where would be the best resort to head for in your opinion? We're going for
three days and are all fairly confident intermediates, happiest on-piste, on
reds.

Not really bothered about apres-ski, just hoping for lots of skiing in
beautiful surroundings. We've done Courchevel, Courmayeur/La Rosiere,
Engelberg in the past and are wanting to try somewhere new.

TIA.

Norm.

Old November 10th 05, 10:54 AM
Ian Blake

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:37:52 GMT, "Norman" wrote:

I've booked flights to Geneva and a car for the last Weekend of Jan.
Obviously snow conditions will play a major part in the final decision but
in the hypothetical situation of all resorts having the same conditions
where would be the best resort to head for in your opinion? We're going for
three days and are all fairly confident intermediates, happiest on-piste, on
reds.

The Portes Du Soleil is easy to get to from Geneva. Les Gets, Morzine
Avoriaz etc.

http://www.portesdusoleil.com/hiver/index.php

When my brother lived in Geneva he used to ski in Megeve.
Old November 10th 05, 11:16 AM
Steve

Flaine in the Grand Massif is good for a weekend... Just over an hours
drive from Geneva, loads of excellent intermediate skiing and not much
Apres !

Steve

Old November 11th 05, 06:42 AM
Marco Cattaneo

"Norman" wrote in message
I've booked flights to Geneva and a car for the last Weekend of Jan.
Obviously snow conditions will play a major part in the final decision but
in the hypothetical situation of all resorts having the same conditions
where would be the best resort to head for in your opinion? We're going
for three days and are all fairly confident intermediates, happiest
on-piste, on reds.

The obvious choice is Flaine. Only problem might be accomodation, not easy
for just the weekend - I'm sure Ace will help you there.

Another possibility is St.Gervais/Megeve - there accomodation might be
easier as there are lots of hotels. If cold or windy weather it is a better
option than Flaine as it is lower and less exposed.

Or Morzine/Avoriaz

In Switzerland, Villars would fit the bill

Old November 11th 05, 08:17 AM
bairsty

Avoriaz has some of the best snow around Geneva, and lots of skiing.

Crans Montana is another consideration,

Old November 12th 05, 10:03 PM
PSmith

I would opt for a swiss resort. Two hours can get you to Crans or Verbier.
A little longer and Zermatt or even Wengen are options.

Note that some resort hotels only book full weeks. I have been turned away
from many hotels (mainly in Austria) when asking for one or two nights -
because someone else may turn up wanting a full week!

Paul

oups.com...

Old November 15th 05, 02:44 PM
jaylott jaylott is offline
Junior Member

Norman,

I would choose Chatel, a real village within the Portes du Soleil, great own ski areas plus fast access to the Avoraiz area without the horrors of having to stay there.

I liked it so much I bought a chalet there. You can check it out at www.chaletlesloups.com

Hope you ejoy,
John

Quote: