Targhee Snowcat

Old March 1st 05, 11:19 PM
Mike M. Miskulin

Default Targhee Snowcat

hey now,

going to Targhee and Jackson mid March. Just wondering
if any of you have been out with the snowcat outfit at
Targhee and can give some indication of how it was, level
of difficulty, etc.

thanks
Old March 2nd 05, 12:20 AM
Chris J.

"Mike M. Miskulin" wrote in message
. 3.44...
hey now,

going to Targhee and Jackson mid March. Just wondering
if any of you have been out with the snowcat outfit at
Targhee and can give some indication of how it was, level
of difficulty, etc.

thanks

I did the cat trip at Targhee about 5 years ago and can't say I'd do it
again.

First I should say that the untracked powder was incredible and abundant,
the scenery was stunning and it was a beautiful sunny day. Conditions were
sweet - almost enough to justify it right there.

However, our lead guide was totally lame and pretty much ruined the
experience for me. He was incredibly slow and kept us on super easy terrain
all day. He wouldn't let anyone pass him, wouldn't take us to steeper
terrain, and he kept barking at us to keep our lines tight. I felt boxed in
the whole time. I'm sure there were good reasons for all of this but I
really wanted to throttle him by the end of the day. We were all goofing on
him at the Trap later.

I had a much better time the next day hiking Mary's Nipple with a couple
friends.

A lot of the terrain we accessed back then is now serviced by the Sacajawea
lift, so maybe the cat terrain is different now.

Chris

Old March 2nd 05, 11:38 PM
Mike M. Miskulin

"Chris J." wrote in news:4225074f$1
@usenet01.boi.hp.com:

Thanks for the info Chris. I spoke to the operation on the
phone and they seemed to indicate minimum advanced intermediate,
expert preferred. I'm willing to call myself and advanced
intermediate, blushing in the moguls aside. My friend on the
other hand is an intermediate '5-10 days a year tops' guy with
virtually no experience in more than 6". So if I go do this it
should be very worthwhile as I'll be dissing him leaving him
behind for a day. Then again if its a powder day...

really wanted to throttle him by the end of the day. We were all
goofing on him at the Trap later.

the Trap? Bar?

I had a much better time the next day hiking Mary's Nipple with a
couple friends.

Can you tell me more about Mary and her Nipple, and was it hard?

Thanks

mike
Old March 3rd 05, 05:25 PM
Chris J.

"Mike M. Miskulin" wrote in message
. 3.44...
"Chris J." wrote in news:4225074f$1
@usenet01.boi.hp.com:

Thanks for the info Chris. I spoke to the operation on the
phone and they seemed to indicate minimum advanced intermediate,
expert preferred. I'm willing to call myself and advanced
intermediate, blushing in the moguls aside.

No moguls out there, just deep dry powder.

My friend on the
other hand is an intermediate '5-10 days a year tops' guy with
virtually no experience in more than 6". So if I go do this it
should be very worthwhile as I'll be dissing him leaving him
behind for a day. Then again if its a powder day...

really wanted to throttle him by the end of the day. We were all
goofing on him at the Trap later.

the Trap? Bar?

Yes it's the bar in the village at the base of the mountain. Targhee is very
low key and the trap is about it as far as night life - if you can call it
that. They get bands on the weekends. The clientele is tired skiers and
snowboarders and employees staying on the mountain. It shuts down pretty
early I think.

I had a much better time the next day hiking Mary's Nipple with a
couple friends.

Can you tell me more about Mary and her Nipple, and was it hard?

She was hard to get on top of, but oh so sweet going down.

There's an in-bounds hikeable area behind the top of the challenger lift.
There are spectacular views of the Grand Tetons back there, and right in
that line of sight is a peak called Mary's. There's a well worn path to the
top, and a number of nice lines back down into the lift served areas along
the way. It's well worth the effort IMO.

If you do this hike, keep an eye out on the skier's left side of the cat
track that you will eventually run into as you exit this area. (You can get
there without doing the hike but I don't know how to describe it.) There's
an awesome, deep gully natural half pipe that goes on forever.

Thanks

mike

Enjoy!

Chris

Targhee over the Christmas Holiday Dave's not here Alpine Skiing 15 January 16th 05 10:16 PM
Grand Targhee Dave W Alpine Skiing 1 June 3rd 04 04:18 PM
Grand Targhee Dave W Alpine Skiing 11 November 5th 03 11:39 PM
Grand Targhee AstroPax Alpine Skiing (moderated) 0 November 3rd 03 08:23 PM