Collapsible Ski Poles

Old February 1st 05, 09:37 PM
tg

Default Collapsible Ski Poles

I am looking for some collapsible ski poles for some backcountry fun.
Preferably something that I would be able to have in the side of a pack that
I could reach back and snap out to be able to pole through a flat or assist
with a traverse. Anyone have any favorites or suggestions?

Old February 2nd 05, 10:12 AM
Champ

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 16:37:24 -0500, "tg"
wrote:

I am looking for some collapsible ski poles for some backcountry fun.
Preferably something that I would be able to have in the side of a pack that
I could reach back and snap out to be able to pole through a flat or assist
with a traverse. Anyone have any favorites or suggestions?

You might be better off asking in rec.skiing.backcountry.

I've got some Red (Burton) ones from about 5 years ago, but I
woouldn't really recommend them - they work OK, but not as well as
stuff I've seen from companies more focussed on this sort of thing.
--
Champ
Old February 2nd 05, 01:15 PM
Switters

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 21:37:24 GMT, "tg"
allegedly wrote:

I am looking for some collapsible ski poles for some backcountry fun.
Preferably something that I would be able to have in the side of a
pack that I could reach back and snap out to be able to pole through a
flat or assist with a traverse. Anyone have any favorites or
suggestions?

I use Leki poles. They have two versions, one that has 2 sections for
skiers, and one with 3 sections for snowboarders. Of course, you don't
have to abide by their suggestions.

I've got the 3 section ones and they collapse to a size just taller than
my backpack. At full extension they're long enough for me (2.97m/6'4"). I
like the idea that they have replaceable parts, like the baskets and the
points.

They are sometimes difficult to twist and unlock after hiking in the cold,
but that's my only minor complaint.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://rssFAQ.org/
Old February 2nd 05, 05:52 PM
Colin Fraser

"Switters" wrote:
I use Leki poles. They have two versions, one that has 2 sections for
skiers, and one with 3 sections for snowboarders. Of course, you don't
have to abide by their suggestions.

I would definitely recommend 3 section poles, otherwise they are a bit
unwieldy and hard to stow away. Also make sure you can get big enough
baskets for them if you are going to be out in deep powder.

I bought a pair of really basic ones for £20 in a sale a few years ago that
are still going strong - you can spend about 5 times that amount but I don't
see what advantage you get.

Col