Pain on Top of Front Foot in Straps Binding

Old January 31st 05, 05:12 PM
David

"Charles Coffin" wrote in message om...
I am repeatedly having problems with a pain that almost becomes
unbearable on the top of my front foot in a 2-straps binding.

Is the pain caused by the tightness of the front strap? Sometimes I put mine
around the front end of my boot, so it pulls back as much as down.
It usually stays put.

Someone suggested Flow bindings. I'm sure they're great. I wanted a pair.
But they didn't fit my boots. Anyway, make sure Flows work with your
boots before you buy.

Old January 31st 05, 06:18 PM
Jason Medeiros

"Charles Coffin" wrote in message
om...
I am repeatedly having problems with a pain that almost becomes
unbearable on the top of my front foot in a 2-straps binding. The
pain almost becomes unbearable at times, requiring me to loosen the
boot and bindings, but then I feel that I have to much movement. I am
using the "Sanchez" boot, with metal wire laces that automatically tie
by turning a click dial. I wear a single pair of socks designed for
Snowboarding. Any suggestions or is this just a pain that you have to
learn to put up with when riding?

are they super thin snowboard socks? if so, try a thicker mid weight sock.
i tried one of the really lightweight ones last week in my snowboard AND ski
boots and had movement and then pain when i cranked em down.

--

jmed

Old January 31st 05, 08:16 PM
Bob

"Charles Coffin" wrote in message
om...
I am repeatedly having problems with a pain that almost becomes
unbearable on the top of my front foot in a 2-straps binding. The
pain almost becomes unbearable at times, requiring me to loosen the
boot and bindings, but then I feel that I have to much movement. I am
using the "Sanchez" boot, with metal wire laces that automatically tie
by turning a click dial. I wear a single pair of socks designed for
Snowboarding. Any suggestions or is this just a pain that you have to
learn to put up with when riding?

I started using my custom shoe orthotics in my boots. They lift the back
part of my foot up quite a bit. I find that this gets the top of my foot to
snug up against the boot better, thus eliminating heel lift without
overtightening things. Some kind of foot bed or wedge might have the same
effect for you.

Bob

Old February 1st 05, 05:50 AM
lonerider

He doesn't have conventional laces. He's got the boa's (hence his
metal
wire laces and click dial). One thing I didn't like about those boots

is
that you can't customize which part to be tight and which to be loose

on
your foot.

Ah... I read that... and yet didn't process it The padding behind
the ankle is still a valid suggestion then.

Old February 1st 05, 01:07 PM
tg

wrote in message
oups.com...

The single huge problem w/ Flow bindings is that almost no one sets
them up properly, & the mfg. rep's don't push the need for getting
them adjusted right either. They require fine tuning & adjustment to
get them set right, and it takes a long time to get it right. My
initial adjustment took me about an hour; it would take a tenth that
long if the rep's knew what to do, but they don't; they're salespeople.
Once you get it, that's it.

Actually, this goes for just about every binding. I've yet to see
anyone take the time to set their bindings up for their riding style.
Everyone just pulls them out of the box & goes. Big mistake.

Kurt,

Great post. The Flow Binding directions don't give much assistance either.
How did you go about setting up your Flows? I am still tweaking mine,but any
hints would be greatly appreciated.

Old February 1st 05, 03:19 PM
Robert Stevahn

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 09:07:48 -0500, "tg"
wrote:

Great post. The Flow Binding directions don't give much assistance either.
How did you go about setting up your Flows? I am still tweaking mine,but any
hints would be greatly appreciated.

You know, I used to fuss with mine and write down how many clicks I
was using on each buckle. The tendency is always to make them too
tight, resulting in numbness or pain.

Now, I just set them loosely on each buckle (first click), press down
evenly without pressing particularly hard, and that's it. They work
fine. I could probably tweak them a little for best performance, but
they are good enough for daily riding after about 2 minutes of total
setup time. In my experience, you just need to get a feel for the
right amount of pressure.

-- Robert
Old February 1st 05, 05:32 PM
tg

wrote:

Great post. The Flow Binding directions don't give much assistance either.
How did you go about setting up your Flows? I am still tweaking mine,but
any
hints would be greatly appreciated.

You know, I used to fuss with mine and write down how many clicks I
was using on each buckle. The tendency is always to make them too
tight, resulting in numbness or pain.

Now, I just set them loosely on each buckle (first click), press down
evenly without pressing particularly hard, and that's it. They work
fine. I could probably tweak them a little for best performance, but
they are good enough for daily riding after about 2 minutes of total
setup time. In my experience, you just need to get a feel for the
right amount of pressure.

-- Robert

Robert,

What about highback angle adjustment? Do you put your foot in, adjust the
buckles, then push the highback up and lock. Also, since the Flows don't
show highback angle, which "line" do you adjust by rotating the adjustment
wheel and which slot is the cable in?

I use the middle slot, push my boot in, push down until the buckles stop
clicking and then make sure the high back goes up without hitting my boot.
Then I adjust the highback angle.

Thanks

Old February 1st 05, 06:03 PM
Robert Stevahn

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 13:32:32 -0500, "tg"
wrote:

What about highback angle adjustment? Do you put your foot in, adjust the
buckles, then push the highback up and lock.

I put my foot in, flip the highback up about midway, then move my foot
back so that it's just touching the base of the highback. I then press
down on the "strap" until it feels right (very subjective, obviously,
and more art than science), lock the buckles, then lock the highback.

Also, since the Flows don't
show highback angle, which "line" do you adjust by rotating the adjustment
wheel and which slot is the cable in?

Without having them in front of me I can't visualize well enough. I
haven't touched the highback adjustment in a while and it doesn't seem
to move much from session to session.

I have the FL-11s, a couple of years old. They may not be exactly the
same as newer or higher end models.

-- Robert
Old February 1st 05, 08:38 PM

What Robert S. said above is about right.

I used to count the "clicks", but that got old. Now, I set it up @ the
beginning of the season, count the clicks, & know where to put my foot
to get pretty close. After that, I go around to each buckle & fine
tune; it's more of a feel than a scientific measurement.

I've got the older F-11's also; they have a "primary" adjustment in the
cable, and then a micro-adjustment on the highback. I've found that
the salespeople don't even know about the cable adjustment; if the
cable isn't set up right, you're lost. The new models have a new
system; I've gotta check them out to see just what is up w/it.

Either way, they require preliminary setup & adjustment, which is
pretty much ignored by everyone I've met that owns them. If you take
the time to get them right, they are the best attachment system on the
market.