Good Mogul board?

Old January 28th 05, 03:57 AM
Mike T

Got a great reputation, and about a 6 month wait for delivery.

Some background information...

Coiler is a one-man operation our of Toronto. The owner's name is Bruce
Varsava. He specializes in alpine boards and every board he makes has a
flex that is customized to the buyer. For the past few years he's made
around 100 boards a year, and says he's decreasing production for next year,
just too much work. He told me Coiler is actually a "hobby that got out of
control" and he has no plans to "scale up" to the size of say Donek.

Lots of people buy them used and are very happy with them - but IMHO one of
the coolest things about Coiler is that the board's flex is customized to
the buyer. So for best results, buy a new one. And I'd guess the typical
wait is more like a year.

Old January 28th 05, 03:57 AM
Mike M. Miskulin

"todd" wrote in news:1106850972.084921.17110
@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

some freestyle moves off the bumps, stick the landing, and hold
their line...then that will be something to watch. I still haven't

Does being absorbed by the bumps count as a freestyle move?

Personally if I know I'll probably be doing them (which means
they aren't harder than concrete vws) I'll probably take my old
winterstick all mountain out. Only 1cm shorter than my Donek but
has a narrower side cut and isn't as stiff. (8.7 m on a 125 edge
vs 9.1 on 127) I find this to be more maneuverable and forgiving.

I suppose it really depends what kind of bumps you will be riding.
Giant, random ones or moderate and well patterned. Also will
the snow be fairly soft and forgiving or will you be dealing with
hard pack / ice as well. The latter is what caught me up yesterday,
the actual moguls are like giant bricks, but under anything from 0
to 12" of powder. Never quite sure whats next and the change from
needing little edge to much edge is well.. abrupt

Old January 28th 05, 07:48 AM
Switters

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 21:06:28 GMT, "todd" allegedly
wrote:

I'm on a Burton Baron ES 164 now.

How's the Baron Todd? Is it just the same as the Canyon from a few years
back? I was hoping to demo one this season, but not sure it will happen
at the moment.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://rssFAQ.org/
Old January 28th 05, 02:11 PM
todd

wrote:

I'm on a Burton Baron ES 164 now.

How's the Baron Todd? Is it just the same as the Canyon from a few

years
back?

I like it a lot. I demo'd one last year. On the demo (compared with
my Ride Yukon) I noticed a quicker edge to edge response due to the
mid-wide spec. and it also seemed to have a stiffer edge - i could ride
all the same terrain, but just felt MUCH more confident that the board
would hold. Its very rare that I get chatter with the new board.
(Also, keep in mind I was comparing a factory new board to a well-used
one.)

On the demo there was something I didn't like about the Baron nose
shape compared with my Yukon, but now that I have it, I don't notice
anything. I've had it out in a full range of terrain and it has
performed great. I ended up buying the ES version. I'm not one of
those guys that has a connection where I get hooked up with a new board
every year...in fact, sadly, I have no "bro network" for
snowboarding...so I have to pay retail and tend to keep a board for a
few years. So, for $100 extra the ES had features I thought were worth
it.

I think there are significant differences than the Canyon a few years
back. Initially, the Baron was just a wide version of the Canyon (or
was it Custom? i get them confused). Now, I think they up'd the specs
on the Baron and downgraded the Canyon. Maybe its just a wide Custom,
now?

I'd recommend it,
-todd

Old January 28th 05, 04:38 PM
Switters

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 15:11:20 GMT, "todd" allegedly
wrote:

I think there are significant differences than the Canyon a few years
back. Initially, the Baron was just a wide version of the Canyon (or
was it Custom? i get them confused). Now, I think they up'd the specs
on the Baron and downgraded the Canyon. Maybe its just a wide Custom,
now?

That was the thing, when the Canyon came out, it was touted as the wide
Custom, and the Floater remained a noodle.

Now the Baron is the wide Custom, and it seems to me that they've simply
reduced the build of the Canyon, which allows them to bring out something
new for all those that like to have the latest stuff.

Let me know when you're selling it ;-)

Old January 29th 05, 05:23 PM

I guess there's one way to find out, just ride a few.

Of my boards I have a slalom board with a flex which perfectly matches
my riding style... that's the best board I have for riding bumps.

Other stuff which might help is as above... you have to ride straight
down the zip line. For me there's a limit to how big and icy and nasty
they can be... no doubt more practice would help.

I've mixed feelings about other boarders riding bumps. It's always nice
to see people doing it well, but the last thing I'd want is all those
people from the park sideslipping down the bump runs.. ;-)

Old January 31st 05, 02:57 PM
Neil Gendzwill

todd wrote:

but, it makes me want to ride them harder. for every boarder people
see from the lift that has people saying "that's why boarders shouldn't
ride bumps," makes me ride harder, faster, and right under the lift to
show that it can be done. had some great runs yesterday where i was
matching or beating the speed of good skiers next to me. that's tough
to do. ...then the bumps got icier and i took a beating.

Yeah! Nothing gets me going like a few hoots and cheers from the lift.
I've gotten a few compliments in the lift line and from the lifties
too, those just make my day.

Neil

Old January 31st 05, 05:49 PM

Mine says 7.7 but it's a 172. I asked Bruce about it and he said:

It is a simple deflection measurement under a given weight so the
softer the board, the more it bends and since the measurement is
taken up from a fixed surface, lower numbers mean softer boards.
Longer boards have lower numbers as the length will bend more even

if
the stiffness is the same just due to the wider span they have to

go
across. If you had a 184 with a 7.7 it would be suitable for

someone
over 300 lbs!

So being that mine is both longer and has a higher number, it should

be
somewhat stiffer than yours. But it's designed for my weight (190

lbs
or so). Bruce also said:

Interesting. Thanks for relaying that along. Getting all math geek,
it'd be cool if there was some way to normalize it to board length. Of
course, bruce has all that data, but that's part of his competetive
advantage, so I don't think he'll be posting it . Your board really
isn't all _that_ much longer than mine (~3cm of effective edge right?)
so I imagine the stiffnesses are pretty comarible in proportion to our
weight.

I have softened up the AM boards a bit over the last few seasons

make them a bit more fun in varied terrain and not so carve

oriented.

Coulda fooled me.

I spent 3 days riding it this weekend, and I'm quite happy with it.
Snow conditions were really good as far as carving goes, but I still
get the feeling it's got a ton of edge hold. Soaks up combination snow
really well too, a few times yesterday I held a carve through some
frozen up lumps that surfaced in spots where the wind stripped away the
couple inches of softer stuff, and I really was surprised I didn't eat
it .

Skidding it around it's quick enough on steeper slopes that I can make
mellow relaxed turns even at 30+ degrees of slope.

And this is all with me still getting through my start of season
awkwardness and not being really used to the board (or hardboots) for
that matter.

I'm very tempted to get in line for a 177 now.

advice on board? Mario Snowboarding 10 January 11th 05 12:00 AM
Good Speed Board? skibum Snowboarding 11 April 30th 04 06:35 PM
Ride "Profile" What is this board good for? Bob Snowboarding 4 March 14th 04 08:14 PM
What is a good size board for me?? brent parker Snowboarding 3 December 6th 03 08:08 PM
Duret board - Any good? Jesper Christiansen Snowboarding 0 December 2nd 03 05:04 PM