Pain on Top of Front Foot in Straps Binding

Old February 1st 05, 10:04 PM
todd

What Robert S. said above is about right.

Either way, they require preliminary setup & adjustment, which is
pretty much ignored by everyone I've met that owns them. If you take
the time to get them right, they are the best attachment system on

the
market.

I'll pipe in again and say this works for some, but not all. I gave
these bindings the definite "college try." Tried several different
adjustments. Even took them back to the shop (which sells a lot of
Flows) and had them adjust the bindings with me standing in them. Also
read everything I could find in this forum about adjustments. So, this
is just a correction that for some, even if you know about all the
adjustments...they still suck.

Even knowing that Flows can be person specific, I quickly dismissed the
idea of purchasing a pair for my girlfriend who would not want to
adjust or tweek anything. I don't mind f*cking with things a bit, but
most people want to get something set up once, when first installed,
and the just forgot about it. This is true for most traditional straps
and every other step-in system. Yeah, you may have to adjust the
highback position for your foot size, but then it works, everytime.
Flow supporters always say how great they are "once you take the time
to get them right"...well, you shouldn't have to!

I know, i'm jaded and biased, but these bindings also robbed me of many
powder runs last season while I f*cked around with them to get rid of
severe foot pain. Sorry to those of you that love 'em. I used to deal
with the same thing when I'd rave about my old Clicker HBs and everyone
else would bitch about them.

Before you purchase a pair, see if you can rent/demo them for the day.
Flow is at most demo days and shops that sell Flows often have them on
their rental boards.

Old February 1st 05, 10:28 PM
Robert Stevahn

Just to be clear, the only time I adjust my Flows is when I remove the
"strap" either to make the bindings smaller for transport or when I
wax. They never require adjustment during the day, and when I do need
to start from scratch it takes all of about 2 minutes.

That being said, I certainly agree they are not for everyone and, in
particular, not for every boot.

Now those Clicker bindings really suck in my experience. :-)

-- Robert
Old February 2nd 05, 01:38 AM

Agreed; not for everyone, & they definitely need the boot to fit.
Clickers. Suck. Definitely agreed on that.

Old February 3rd 05, 03:13 AM
lonerider

Baka Dasai wrote:
You could try a boot/binding combination that does not cause pain

like
that.

Like these boots:

http://www.bomberonline.com/store/boots/deeluxe.cfm

Seriously. Other people have switched to hard boots for the exact

same
reason.

I don't see how you can say that - if you look on the Bomber forums...
a good number of the postings are people asking about how to get their
boots to fit right and how their feet kill in their hardboots - the
main replies are almost exactly the same as the ones posted he

- get custom footbed ($150)
- get moldable liners ($150)
- get custom bootfitting from a knowledgeable bootfitter ($50-$100).

Actually... it seems like most hardbooters fit terribly out of the box
because of the hard shell, where as many softboots, while not great,
are rideable as is. For one thing... ordering online is just really not
the greatest of ideas for boots and you almost have to do that for
hardboots.

So back to the original point, I'm sure some people have noticed that
hardboots happen to fit them better after switching, but I don't see
hardboots as a general solution to bootfit issues - it's just silly in
that you are changing some many other factors as well (would be like
switching from a sedan to a motorcycle because you don't like the way
the driver seat feels).

Old February 3rd 05, 05:15 AM
Jeremiah Kristal

On 2 Feb 2005 19:13:12 -0800, "lonerider"
wrote:

Baka Dasai wrote:
You could try a boot/binding combination that does not cause pain

like
that.

Like these boots:

http://www.bomberonline.com/store/boots/deeluxe.cfm

Seriously. Other people have switched to hard boots for the exact

same
reason.

I don't see how you can say that - if you look on the Bomber forums...
a good number of the postings are people asking about how to get their
boots to fit right and how their feet kill in their hardboots - the
main replies are almost exactly the same as the ones posted he

- get custom footbed ($150)
- get moldable liners ($150)
- get custom bootfitting from a knowledgeable bootfitter ($50-$100).

And those are all good suggestions, especially getting a knowledgeable
bootfitter.

Actually... it seems like most hardbooters fit terribly out of the box
because of the hard shell, where as many softboots, while not great,
are rideable as is. For one thing... ordering online is just really not
the greatest of ideas for boots and you almost have to do that for
hardboots.

I would say that it has a LOT more to do with the pressures put on the
foot while carving than the fit of the boots. I am miserable when I'm
in my softboots now if I'm doing anything other than just doing park
runs. I took 'em out 2 weeks ago for the 20" of fresh we got in
Vermont and now have one black toenail on each foot. I can't do much
soft-boot carving just because my feet get too beat up.

I'm sure that if I put as enough effort into getting soft boots fitted
correctly I could get a good fit. I would still have to deal with the
pressure of the straps (or continue to use step-ins). Of course based
on past experience if I were to drop real money for new soft boots, I
would want the same level of service I've received with my hard boot
fitting at the Starting Gate. Maybe there are standard snowboard
shops that do good fittings, but I wouldn't even know where to begin
looking.

Ordering online is not the best way to do it, but if you understand
how mondo point measurements work, you really can get pretty close.
It helps to know how a specific boot fits, i.e. Solomon's are
generally best for narrow feet, but again, I'm not sure a novice would
find this info. If you're going to go to a bootfitter anyway, I would
pretty much prefer to take my chances online than go with most of the
retailers I've dealt with. (My wife got some new ski boots at a large
and generally well respected shop in NYC last season, went to get
footbeds and the bootfitter refused to do it because they were a size
and a half too large, after the original shop spent 2 hours 'fitting'
the boot.)

One thing that may be an advantage for hard boots is that you can have
the shell stretched and molded. I haven't seen much that can be done
to soft boots rather than adding custom footbeds, but I'm sure that
some work can be done.

So back to the original point, I'm sure some people have noticed that
hardboots happen to fit them better after switching, but I don't see
hardboots as a general solution to bootfit issues - it's just silly in
that you are changing some many other factors as well (would be like
switching from a sedan to a motorcycle because you don't like the way
the driver seat feels).

I agree with your main point, though for technical riders are don't do
park/pipe stuff, hard boots are a viable alternative. The problem
with hard boots is that it leads to buying lots of expensive
snowboards. (If you think a Burton T5 is expensive price a Madd or a
Virus.)

Jeremiah

Old February 3rd 05, 05:18 PM
lonerider

Jeremiah Kristal wrote:

[...]

Yea... that's the rub... so you go to a person and tell them that you
have this bootfit solution for them... but they have to get rid of all
their current equipment, pay $500+ for new equipment, plus spend 3-4
months tweaking this new equipment and relearning how to
snowboarding... but then... then they'll be set :P

Baka Dasai wrote:
What you say is all true, but if the original poster was in the

position
where nothing else was going to work, then hard boots would become a
viable option. Similarly, if he was hard-boot-curious, it could have
been the right piece of advice at the right time. If neither of

these
was true, he could have safely ignored my post as just another
hard-booting crank trying to hijack an unrelated thread

Lol... yes, if the original poster has exhausted all possible options,
and if he was "hard-boot-curious" then this could be what he needs to
discover his true "bootwear preferences." That being said, his problems
(and actually I would say your problems) could probably be solved
provided you put in enough time, effort, and money into it... obviously
no one know until you've tried everything...

Old February 4th 05, 10:14 AM
David Brown :o\)

I am repeatedly having problems with a pain that almost becomes
unbearable on the top of my front foot in a 2-straps binding.

Just to throw a different option for you to try. It may not be the bindings
at all but the angle of your foot. Try angling the front foot a couple of
degrees further forward.
I only say this coz I also had a pain in the top of my front foot last
holiday and this was the reason. I had taken the bindings off for transport
and put them back on 1 degree less than normal and just one degree made a
lot of difference to comfort.
Worth giving a go anyway.

--
kitemap