bindings 4 a rookie...

Old March 18th 06, 06:06 PM

Default bindings 4 a rookie...

I'm a newbie... and I'd like to know which binding is in your opinion the
best for me...

Old March 18th 06, 06:08 PM

Basic simple strap on bindings with a good amount of flex and forward
lean adjustability.
You can try all the adjusments and decide from there.......

Old March 19th 06, 12:34 AM

ego wrote:
I'm a newbie... and I'd like to know which binding is in your opinion the
best for me...

Anything you want. You won't notice the difference.
Old March 19th 06, 12:55 AM

I'm a newbie... and I'd like to know which binding is in your opinion the
best for me...

You'll want something that fits your boot well and keeps you balanced across
the board. Generally speaking, the best way to ensure this is to get the
same brand bindings as your boots.

Mike T

Old March 20th 06, 07:15 PM

Whatever you do, DO NOT get Burton bindings. They are pieces of crap
and way overpriced. Look for Technine or Flow, like Ed recommended.
I have Technines MFM (Mark Frank Montoya's) with the Baltimore strap
and they kick ass. I highly suggest finding a binding with the toes
straps that cup the front of the foot and not the ones that go over the
instep. But get whatever is confortable to you, just don't get
Burton.

Old March 20th 06, 09:01 PM

Just to counter the above....
I've got over 100 days on my CFX's from Burton, and switch it to two
different boards about 5 times a year, depending on snow conditions.
Never had problems.
I've sold over 400 Burton Freestyles from '94 thru 99, and saw maybe
4 come back broken, usually highbacks snapped at the mounting
point....with totally loose, non maintained mounting screws.
One came back with broken baseplate. Ridden with TWO screws holding
it.
A couple came back with broken toe straps....can't explain that.
I was the manager of a big snowboard shop that sold over 300 Burton
boards a year, and about that many of a combined other shops, and EVERY
warrantee went thru me.

Old March 20th 06, 09:43 PM

LeeD wrote:
Just to counter the above....
I've got over 100 days on my CFX's from Burton, and switch it to two
different boards about 5 times a year, depending on snow conditions.
Never had problems.
I've sold over 400 Burton Freestyles from '94 thru 99, and saw maybe
4 come back broken, usually highbacks snapped at the mounting
point....with totally loose, non maintained mounting screws.
One came back with broken baseplate. Ridden with TWO screws holding it.
A couple came back with broken toe straps....can't explain that.

I'm a little mixed over Burton bindings... I'm not a huge fan of the
Customs or Freestyle... but I like the Missions and do really like the
pair of 2003 P1MDs that I have (although I did just break the FLAD
Highback on it). My friend snapped the heelcup on his Burton
Freestyles, but they were several years old so I figured it would
eventually break with all his sketchy landings. I have seen a bunch of
toestraps and rachet springs break on Burton stuff, but those are cheap
to replace (often free from Burton if you call... they are sending me a
new Highback for free).

'99 is a long time ago (7 years) but I think the current lineup of
Burton's mid-high stuff is still decent, but definitely a little
overpriced. Personally I like Ride and Salomon bindings as extremely
sturdy, good performance, while not being as expensive. I hear the
Technine are have an even better price-performance ratio, but haven't
personally tried them out myself.

Old March 20th 06, 10:38 PM

Right on Lee, lots of people grab Burton because it is hip and
available. Was tempted myself until I got my hands on better stuff.
I work in the ski industry for a marketing company and I get access to
buy directly from snowboard companies. I took a shot and bought some
stuff you can't find at your normal shops and could not be happier.
Have no beefs with Burton (on my second pair of pants) but in light on
what other companies have to offer they pale in comparison.
Just some more info for ego the newbie, whatever boots you have take
them to the dumpster and pitch them. Then go out and buy a pair of
boots with the wire lacing system (BOA). I cannot describe how easy
they are to get tight which is essential for boarding. Normal laces
are a bitch sometimes (especially when frigid cold) and the BOA system
is just turning a knob. Check out this link, it has all the boot
companies that carry the system.
http://www.boatechnology.com/boa.php...owboard&drill=
I have Flows and I cannot wait to buy another pair. Best snowboard
boot I have ever had on and it takes me all of 10 seconds to tighten
them. Ideal for the walk from the lot to the lift, leave them loose
until you need to get serious.

Old March 20th 06, 10:51 PM

redlodge wrote:
buy directly from snowboard companies. I took a shot and bought some
stuff you can't find at your normal shops and could not be happier.

Cool, what stuff do you get that's not available to the public? I mean
Technine bindings and BOA-Flow boots aren't that rare.

Just some more info for ego the newbie, whatever boots you have take
them to the dumpster and pitch them. Then go out and buy a pair of
boots with the wire lacing system (BOA). I cannot describe how easy
they are to get tight which is essential for boarding. Normal laces
are a bitch sometimes (especially when frigid cold) and the BOA system

BOA are convenient, but for me I don't like the tradeoff in
fit/performance if you have narrow ankles/feet. With BOA, you can't
customize the tightness to different parts of your foot. For instance
if you have a narrow calf/ankle, you want to make the top 4 rungs extra
tight, while keeping the instep/forefoot laces loose. I prefer the
Quick-Pull system Salomon has. I also like the stiffer flex the
Salomons have.

Old March 21st 06, 05:07 AM

hey lr,
When I say normal shops I mean the massive super stores that carry tons
of schlock that people snap up, if you live in a mountain town or have
a good board shop you can find the stuff I have. However, we do get
access to off the radar brands like Ghost, Compatriot, Illuminati, and
a bunch of others. The next time I see a Ghost will be the first.

http://www.ghostriderx.com
http://www.compatriotsnowboards.com
http://www.ill23.com
http://www.smokinsnowboards.com

Thinking about buying one of those Ghost boards, the Swiss. Got an
Atomic last season and it is time for a new ride, just not sure what to
get.

Not sure what to make of your observation about skinny ankles. My feet
are big and my boots fit like a champ, I do have skinny ankles and I
like the BOA because I can really tighten it up to make it snug. Kind
of works for me but everyone is different so get what makes you happy.
I just like the fact that I can walk to the lift with loose boots,
ride up, and make a couple of twists and have nice tight boots for
riding. No fussing around with laces but that is just me.

Bindings from straight skiis suitable for for shaped? [email protected] Alpine Skiing 7 October 14th 05 05:48 PM
salomon bindings / burton boards Joe Snowboarding 6 December 18th 03 09:48 PM
Mounting alpine bindings Terry Hill Alpine Skiing 26 December 6th 03 05:51 AM
Mount Bindings Schmoe Alpine Skiing 12 November 15th 03 03:02 PM
Atomic Ski Bindings - 4.12 or 6.14 which is better for me? Christopher Luke Alpine Skiing 7 August 10th 03 03:40 PM