Tragedy at Snowbird, Today, 02-20-04

Old February 21st 04, 02:25 AM
AstroPax

Default Tragedy at Snowbird, Today, 02-20-04

Well, sort off.

Looks like a complete loss...irreparable.

Other than breaking a few pairs of skis, this is about the worst
damage I have ever done to a ski base/edge.

Volkl Vertigo G-3 (191cm) with about 20 days on them.

This is a 6" (approx) core shot, via the ski edge.

Damage occurred on the Cirque Traverse (rock city) at Snowbird.

WARNING, referenced photos are very nasty, graphic, etc., etc., etc.

http://www.xmission.com/~hound/astro...damage_001.htm

http://www.xmission.com/~hound/astro...damage_002.htm

-Astro

P.S., FOR SALE: 1 pair of Volkl Vertigo G-3's, cheap.

Old February 21st 04, 02:44 AM
FHemmer209

AstroPax wrote:

Other than breaking a few pairs of skis, this is about the worst
damage I have ever done to a ski base/edge.

WARNING, referenced photos are very nasty, graphic, etc., etc., etc.

Uh..., what about a warranty claim?

Fred
Old February 21st 04, 03:18 AM
Jon Bond

"AstroPax" wrote in message
Well, sort off.

Looks like a complete loss...irreparable.

Other than breaking a few pairs of skis, this is about the worst
damage I have ever done to a ski base/edge.

Volkl Vertigo G-3 (191cm) with about 20 days on them.

This is a 6" (approx) core shot, via the ski edge.

Damage occurred on the Cirque Traverse (rock city) at Snowbird.

WARNING, referenced photos are very nasty, graphic, etc., etc., etc.

http://www.xmission.com/~hound/astro...damage_001.htm

http://www.xmission.com/~hound/astro...damage_002.htm

-Astro

P.S., FOR SALE: 1 pair of Volkl Vertigo G-3's, cheap.

See if they have or will sell you a single ski - if they only had 20 days
they've still got plenty of life left in 'em... as long as you don't do
that again!

As for warantee FH suggested - uh, no. Warantees aren't to cover damage
like that - if the edge seperated, or the ski delammed, sure. But thats
quite obviously a rock hit there. Thats like telling me I should ask for a
warantee on my mountain bike because I ran head first into a tree and it
buckled the tubes. There's a limit to the stresses and forces these things
can take. (more aimed at FH than you, obviously)

Jon Bond

Old February 21st 04, 03:31 AM
AstroPax

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 04:18:13 GMT, "Jon Bond"
wrote:

See if they have or will sell you a single ski

Who is "they"?

-Astro

Old February 21st 04, 05:08 AM
Jon Bond

wrote:

See if they have or will sell you a single ski

Who is "they"?

-Astro

They = Volkl USA, or whoever their distributor is here. I've never dealt
with ski companies personally, but I have dealt with a bunch of bike
companies - and its amazing how much they'll help out.

Jon Bond

Old February 21st 04, 07:37 PM
pigo

wrote:

See if they have or will sell you a single ski

Who is "they"?

I've bought singles from Salomon when I was on them. $50.

Old February 21st 04, 07:47 PM
Sue

In message , Sven Golly
writes
AstroPax wrote in
:

Looks like a complete loss...irreparable.

Its guts are spilling out! That's horrible!

I think given the color of that model, it's a good thing.

Why not buy another pair (they must be great value because of the
colour) then next time you disembowel one you'll still have two skis?
--
Sue ]8(
Old February 21st 04, 08:20 PM
AstroPax

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 13:37:32 -0700, "pigo"
wrote:

I've bought singles from Salomon when I was on them. $50.

Thanks. I'll look into obtaining a single replacement from Volkl.

I'm not really too concerned though. I own six pairs of skis. This
particular pair of Volkl's just happens to be my newest...with the
least amount of mileage.

-Astro

---
maximum exposure f/2.8
http://www.xmission.com/~hound/astro/03-04/index.htm
---
Old February 21st 04, 10:51 PM
FHemmer209

Jon Bond wrote:

As for warantee FH suggested - uh, no. Warantees aren't to cover damage
like that - if the edge seperated, or the ski delammed, sure. But thats
quite obviously a rock hit there. Thats like telling me I should ask for a
warantee on my mountain bike because I ran head first into a tree and it
buckled the tubes. There's a limit to the stresses and forces these things
can take. (more aimed at FH than you, obviously)

Sorry my sarcasm wasn't clear enough. I guess I could have added a .

FH

Old February 21st 04, 10:53 PM
Jon Bond

"FHemmer209" wrote in message
Jon Bond wrote:

As for warantee FH suggested - uh, no. Warantees aren't to cover damage
like that - if the edge seperated, or the ski delammed, sure. But thats
quite obviously a rock hit there. Thats like telling me I should ask for

warantee on my mountain bike because I ran head first into a tree and it
buckled the tubes. There's a limit to the stresses and forces these

things
can take. (more aimed at FH than you, obviously)

Sorry my sarcasm wasn't clear enough. I guess I could have added a .

FH

Heh, sorry. I spent a lot of yesterday in our CAD lab digitizing a topo map
and making a TIN of it... that stuff messes with your mind, man. Plus I
haven't been skiing since I got my new boots because I don't have a frickin'
car here. Bah.

Jon "Bitchy" Bond