Late March Skiing

Old February 8th 05, 01:31 AM
Florian Ederer

Default Late March Skiing

Alright, so I have a week of spring break in late March and rather than
heading to some overcrowded beaches or spending countless hours on the plane
going back home to Austria to ski, I am planning on hitting the US snow for
one last time this season.

Being a bit new to the US ski scene (spent 10 days in Utah in January and
had a couple of weekend trips to Killington and Sunday River) I am wondering
where I should go to maximise my powder chances.

I am grateful for any kind of advice, but please bear in mind that
recommendations should be tailored to a pure-skiing-no-frills budget (though
there is no budget cap on the flights from Boston).

Many thanks,

Florian Ederer
http://www.mit.edu/~ederer

Old February 8th 05, 01:43 AM
VtSkier

Florian Ederer wrote:
Alright, so I have a week of spring break in late March and rather than
heading to some overcrowded beaches or spending countless hours on the plane
going back home to Austria to ski, I am planning on hitting the US snow for
one last time this season.

Being a bit new to the US ski scene (spent 10 days in Utah in January and
had a couple of weekend trips to Killington and Sunday River) I am wondering
where I should go to maximise my powder chances.

I am grateful for any kind of advice, but please bear in mind that
recommendations should be tailored to a pure-skiing-no-frills budget (though
there is no budget cap on the flights from Boston).

Many thanks,

Utah, Motel 6 SLC, bus to ski areas, ramen.
Old February 8th 05, 01:46 AM
Florian Ederer

"VtSkier" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Florian Ederer wrote:
Alright, so I have a week of spring break in late March and rather than
heading to some overcrowded beaches or spending countless hours on the
plane going back home to Austria to ski, I am planning on hitting the US
snow for one last time this season.

Being a bit new to the US ski scene (spent 10 days in Utah in January and
had a couple of weekend trips to Killington and Sunday River) I am
wondering where I should go to maximise my powder chances.

I am grateful for any kind of advice, but please bear in mind that
recommendations should be tailored to a pure-skiing-no-frills budget
(though there is no budget cap on the flights from Boston).

Many thanks,

Utah, Motel 6 SLC, bus to ski areas, ramen.

Sounds remarkably familiar. Sounds like I got it right the first time.

Many thanks though,

Old February 8th 05, 02:22 AM
Walt

VtSkier wrote:
Florian Ederer wrote:

Alright, so I have a week of spring break in late March and...I am planning on
hitting the US snow for one last time this season ... I am
wondering where I should go to maximise my powder chances.

... please bear in mind that
recommendations should be tailored to a pure-skiing-no-frills budget

Utah, Motel 6 SLC, bus to ski areas, ramen.

Hmmmmm.

Depends on how you run the numbers. My analysis is that you lose a
day or two of skiing by dealing with the bus in SLC. If you're going
for a long weekend, you can ski 5 days with car rental, but only 3 or
4 with public transport. Which means that once you add in all the
expenses of airfare, lodging, etc, and divide it by the number of ski
days, it's cheaper to rent a car than take the bus, assuming you're
looking at $/day. Of course, if you're staying for two weeks, the bus
becomes more cost effective.

Motel 6 may be the cheapest place to stay, but you might save more
money by staying at a place with a kitchenette, like Extended Stay
America or the Residence Inn.

Powder is always a crapshoot, but SLC is probably the best bet.
Although if you're staying in town and taking the bus, you might not
even be able to get up the canyon on powder days.

--
// Walt
//

Old February 8th 05, 02:27 AM

In article ,
"Florian Ederer" writes:
I am wondering where I should go to maximise my powder chances.

March and April are the biggest snow months in Colorado.
A-basin or Loveland are great little places, and since they don't have
accomodations at the bases don't usually get taken over by the
spring break crowds.

bruno.
Old February 8th 05, 08:13 PM
TCS

Late March is high season in the west. Shouldn't be a problem anywhere. Your
choice.

Late April would be more problematic.

TCS (The Colorado Skier)
Colorado Springs - Gateway to Colorado Ski Country
Old February 8th 05, 08:58 PM
Mary Malmros

TCS wrote:

Late March is high season in the west.

In resort terms, "high season" refers to the most popular season --
think you meant "lotsa snow season" instead.

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old February 9th 05, 12:05 AM

In article ,
Sam Seiber writes:
Ahhh, bruno, I thought we agreed not to blab about that kind
of stuff.

I don't ski there until Mary Jane (which sucks in March BTW) closes,
so I'd rather send all these people to you :-)

bruno.