Grainy amateur movie clip from late 70s US Nationals

Old November 15th 04, 01:05 AM
sknyski

Default Grainy amateur movie clip from late 70s US Nationals

So I was sifting through the family movie archive last night and
stumbled upon some home movies from the US Nationals at Waterville
Valley sometime in the late 70s, probably 1978 or 1979. Most of the
footage is of my dad and his buddies slogging along, but my mom was on
top of it enough to capture 10 seconds or so of a well-known US team
member. Check it out:

http://www.sproutsparky.com/old_crap/mysteryman.avi

Janne G can breathe easy; there's no danger of my putting him out of
business!

bt
Old November 15th 04, 04:07 PM
32 degrees

COOL CLIP !
billy koch is my guess !

and, that's some serious double poling.
JK

Old November 15th 04, 11:16 PM
sknyski

Yup. Boy, he sure looked in shape, and strong. I think that may have
been around the time that he was skipping the world cup and doing
marathons in Europe. I remember being in St. Moritz a couple of years
ago and looking at the Engadin winner board that they have near the
finish - and wtf? he won the race a time or two.

bt
Old November 16th 04, 09:20 PM
Tim Kelley

Darn, This clip won't play on my PC. I raced in the '78 Nationals at
WV. If it is the 15 km (classic of course) ... it was a horrible
waxing day. I remember Kochie came by me and then a few minutes later
I passed him back ... because he was on the side of the trail rewaxing!
After globbing some kick on he came powering back by me, and he skied
on to win that day. Kochie in his prime ... he was something else !!!
I'll try looking at the clip on another PC.

Old November 17th 04, 04:59 AM
sknyski

Download a Divx player from www.divx.com. It's the same player you
use for Janne G's World Cup videos.

So, you ARE that Tim Kelley guy I remember from way back when?

bt
Old November 17th 04, 06:18 PM
Tim Kelley

Yep - I'm that guy,

I tried it last night on my home PC .. no go. But I'll take your
advice and try it again with the Divx player.

As I remember - during the 15 km at Waterville Kochie raced with a belt
pack with cork and waxes. So if you see him wearing that in the video
.... then that's him. You don't see that move much these days at
Nat'ls. That was typical Kochie - very thorough, always covering all
the bases. I remember seeing him doing intervals with one pole. He
said you've got to know how to ski fast in case you break a pole in a
race. Besides being an amazing athlete, he was a super bright guy too.
Always thinking, always questioning the game, always coming up with
new ideas. He had a brother that was really cool, and a great athlete
- Fritz.

Cripes ... don't get me started reminiscing. I find it hard to stop!
I was sure lucky to be racing in the Kochie/ Marty Hall days. That was
somethin' special.

Thanks,

Tim