Jenex advises V2 150 SC combi for long feet

Old August 29th 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jan Gerrit Klok

Default Jenex advises V2 150 SC combi for long feet

I called Jenex today to get ready for ordering my copy.

When asked whether I should consider the longer combi version for my long
legs, the nice lady said she was just hooking up a 6'4" guy with SC combi's,
as his size 12 boots were too much to fit the brake behind. As my feet are
bigger, my legs huge for the 6'4" I am, and since I definately want the
brake, the combi's are no-brainers I guess.
It was comforting to hear Jenex say that longer ski's are okay if you're
tall. And I guess it can't hurt weight distribution front/rear, especially
with the brake on there between heel and rear wheel.

Just though some of you might want to know.

I'm not sure whether I want the clutch front wheels as a bail out for my
climbing practice. Or if it's even a hindrance.

Does one brake suffice or is 2 better?

Thanks,

Old August 30th 06, 05:10 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Hey Mr Perfectionist, how long have you been looking into buying these
skis? The rollerski season is almost over.

Old August 30th 06, 05:55 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jan Gerrit Klok

schreef in bericht
ups.com...
Hey Mr Perfectionist, how long have you been looking into buying these
skis? The rollerski season is almost over.

Please...
It's a real bummer my techdude friend was unable to find any companies
prepared to take my money to build something we put lots of designing hours
in.
For me, rollerskiing season will be 365 minus the total 3 days of ice rain
and snow we get. With luck, ski season is one day, hitting the forrests
really early moning.
I'll work my technique and especially strength with the V2's (if I manage to
actually get them here), and work more on my off-road 4-wheeled rollerski's,
especially finding a place to have the parts made. Heck, perhaps make bulky
wooden proto's to test how they really roll over dirt.
I'll have to talk to Eagle Sport rollerskis, located 4 miles from my home.

I think Jenex is a weird company, but they seem to make an awesome product.

Old August 30th 06, 06:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Heck, perhaps make bulky
wooden proto's to test how they really roll over dirt.

Yes. A working prototype could be more convincing to whoever you are
trying to make produce your skis.

I'll have to talk to Eagle Sport rollerskis, located 4 miles from my home.

It certainly helps

I think Jenex is a weird company

yes

but they seem to make an awesome product.

some of them are awsome, some a not so.

SkiSkett also makes an iflatable tire rollerski which looks almost
identical to the Aero 150.

Old August 30th 06, 07:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jan Gerrit Klok

SkiSkett also makes an iflatable tire rollerski which looks almost
identical to the Aero 150.

That's nice, thanks for the tip. Could you please provide a link where to
find it on their website? I'm too stupid to find it...

Old August 30th 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Jan Gerrit Klok wrote:
SkiSkett also makes an iflatable tire rollerski which looks almost
identical to the Aero 150.

That's nice, thanks for the tip. Could you please provide a link where to
find it on their website? I'm too stupid to find it...

I don't think Ski Skett makes one, but Rolski does....

http://www.skiroll.it/test/rolski-of...ffroad-eng.htm

http://www.monsero.com/

Jim

Old August 30th 06, 08:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

I said that b/c I saw this model being field-tested he

http://www.skiroll.it/

You are right, I may be wrong about the skiSkett part.

Old August 30th 06, 09:41 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jan Gerrit Klok

I don't think Ski Skett makes one, but Rolski does....

http://www.skiroll.it/test/rolski-of...ffroad-eng.htm

http://www.monsero.com/

Thanks, I'm aware of those, if that company even still exists.
V2's certainly look more professional to me, better made.
The Monsero's as far as we could judge the pics would be below the least we
would have designed for our first proto, just to test the machine shop.
V2's have a good rep, design is better. The add-on brake is a deal maker for
me though I bet it will fit Monsero's as well). I live in a big urban area
and don't have a car, so I'll often be confronted with traffic and
crossroads. I want to commute them too, hope to have the motivation for that
one day, 9.5mi each way. Perhaps on 143mm PU wheels for wear and speed (get
the commute over with).

Old August 30th 06, 11:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Dear Jan:

Okay, I own both the standard Aero 150 I use for skating and a pair of
SC combis I use just for classic.

It's probably impossible to use two brakes at once, since you activate
the brake by going into a telemark position, with the brake ski
forward. Go with only one brake.

I think the speed reducers are actually better to slow down on hills or
when you have time to reach down. I rarely use my brake, but having it
for emergencies is confidence-inspiring.

The clutch front wheels on the Combi SC are considerably heavier than
the standard 150 wheels, and using the Combi SC for classic skiing
almost always requires the use of an outrigger on the rear, or they are
just too unstable to get a good consistent kick with. The outrigger,
then, adds weight to the rear of the ski and makes it more or less
unsuitable for skating. (The instability of the Combi without the
outrigger is likely why they also came out with the Retro, a three
wheeled classic only Aero.)

Trust me on this, Jan. Set the skis up for only skate or classic, and
use the appropriate boots and binding flexors (stiffest available for
skate) for the technique chosen. If yhou try to get the ski to do
both well, I think you won't be happy.

I use my skis on local roads here that can be fairly rough "chip seal",
and they are better than anything else for sticks, stones, debris, and
small potholes. They will also work on smooth hard packed dirt or
crushed limestone. Don't expect them to really do well off-road or on
rough trails. The only thing I've found that work well in that
situation are Catskis, which aren't really roller skis, and simulate
classic diagonal stride skiing only. (They give a great, intense
workout.) Find 'em at Planetxc.com or catskiier.com.

Randy

Old August 31st 06, 05:44 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jan Gerrit Klok

schreef in bericht
ups.com...
Trust me on this, Jan. Set the skis up for only skate or classic, and
use the appropriate boots and binding flexors (stiffest available for
skate) for the technique chosen. If yhou try to get the ski to do
both well, I think you won't be happy.

Thanks Randy!
I have no desire whatsoever to even try classic, so that's fine. But being
the newbie that I am, there have been timed I've appreciated the bail-out on
hills of having the clutch front wheels. Extra weight does not intimidate
me, I'm big and strong :-) Unnecessary weight does concern me. If for
skating the clutches are supposed to be superfluous, I'll be brave and leave
them off. I already have replacement scooter wheels though, should the
weight get to my mind.

Now you've almost brought it up...how bad would simple classic boots be for
training purposes on otherwise skate-ski's? I thought classic or combi boots
might promote and improve doublepoling as a training excersize, if the
skating is not as nice as you're used to. With longer ski's like this, how
BAD does it skate on non-skate boots to get up small hills, or relieve the
double-poling muscles? I mean, they did it and were fast that way on snow,
before skating became a market, right? Or does the taller and wobbly foot
position with rollerski's kill the deal with? I've seen cheap classic boots
even at the local sports store, it might be nice to have a dry pair like
that. Salomon Profile boots fit on Pilot bindings, right?

Cheers,