Alpine bindings on Telemark skis?

Old May 11th 05, 05:27 PM
Bill Tuthill

lal_truckee wrote:

When you're truckin' above 70mph the last thing you want is a ski that=20
deflects at every little irregularity in the snow surface - you'll be=20
quite happy to have a big, meaty, beast underfoot that tracks as above.=

=20
Something about 224cm and the weight of a small battleship, say.

I don't even drive that fast! But sometimes, with cold temperatures,
fresh snow, and Special Green wax on my cross-country skis, it seems
like I glide almost that fast.

Walt "no V=F6lkl Conspiracy" wrote:

Not quite true - Atomic markets their binding as the lightest available=

..=20
(I've never understood this as a selling point.) V=F6lkl's Gamma serie=

s=20
for women is marketed as 20% lighter. There are other examples.=20

Atomic must have given up on the lighter aspect of binding design, 'cuz
in this year's survey of bindings by Skiing Magazine, testers complained
about the heaviness of the $1099 computer-controlled Neox EBM. (Also
available without computer for $299.) Only the Vist V614 was heavier.

Reading their Gripes and Props, it seemed the $425 Marker Titanium 13.0
Piston Turbo was the obvious choice:
"Our testers were unanimous. The technology [oil piston and front bar]
really works. Initiation was immediate, carve was clean and powerful,
and rebound was smooth and measured."

For the heavyweight Atomic Neox EBM and Vist V614 they griped that they
were too heavy, then propped them for being heavy enough to bust crud.
That's like saying the food tastes terrible, but at least it's so bad
it helps me stick to my diet.

Heck, if you want heavy skis, just glue some lead fishing weights to 'em.

Old May 11th 05, 06:53 PM
lal_truckee

Bill Tuthill wrote:

Heck, if you want heavy skis, just glue some lead fishing weights to 'em.

You may think you're kidding, but that's almost exactly what coaches
have racers do for some skis that don't have enough oomph (that's the
technical term - I was trying to stay in laymen terms, but maybe we can
slip in a few of the real tech terms here and there, so I'll let that
"oomph" stay in) in the shovels. The kid's coaches had several older
kids on the team glue on strips of high density rubber on the shovel to
increase the end mass and make the skis turn cleaner.

Before the advent of ultra short slalom skis several of the more gifted
older kids (think current US Ski Team members) experimented with racing
on short youth skis which they doctered up with glue on mass for add
weight and damping, and multiple screw-on aluminum plates for stiffness
(not free flex single attach-point plates but solid stiffeners.)
Old May 11th 05, 07:10 PM
Walt

Bill Tuthill wrote:
Walt "no Völkl Conspiracy" wrote:

Not quite true - Atomic markets their binding as the lightest available.

Atomic must have given up on the lighter aspect of binding design, 'cuz
in this year's survey of bindings by Skiing Magazine, testers complained
about the heaviness of the $1099 computer-controlled Neox EBM. (Also
available without computer for $299.) Only the Vist V614 was heavier.

Atomic's eleven-hundred dollar computer controlled binding is a gimmick,
not a real product. Now, if it had a red LED that lit up whenever you
went over a bump....

Reading their Gripes and Props, it seemed the $425 Marker Titanium 13.0
Piston Turbo was the obvious choice:
"Our testers were unanimous. The technology [oil piston and front bar]
really works. Initiation was immediate, carve was clean and powerful,
and rebound was smooth and measured."

That's interesting, because I've got a pair of Marker Piston bindings,
and I can't notice the slightest difference between the ON and OFF
position. I've even skied with one ski set to ON and the other to OFF
and I still can't detect a difference. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

--
//-Walt
//
Old May 11th 05, 07:45 PM
klaus

Walt wrote:
Bill Tuthill wrote:

Atomic's eleven-hundred dollar computer controlled binding is a gimmick,
not a real product. Now, if it had a red LED that lit up whenever you
went over a bump....

How much you pay? I can give you LEDs... hundreds of 'em...

-klaus
Old May 11th 05, 09:28 PM
Robert Swindells

On Tue, 10 May 2005 21:20:53 -0400, VtSkier wrote:

Just for information, someone else mentioned that Look/Rossi
bindings have an active AFD. I went and looked at their
sites and it sure looks like they have active AFD's.

Their race bindings don't have active AFDs.

Robert Swindells

Old May 11th 05, 10:11 PM
Walt

Robert Swindells wrote:
On Tue, 10 May 2005 21:20:53 -0400, VtSkier wrote:

Just for information, someone else mentioned that Look/Rossi
bindings have an active AFD. I went and looked at their
sites and it sure looks like they have active AFD's.

Their race bindings don't have active AFDs.

Are you sure? If so, which model(s) don't have them? The p10/p12 from
last year definitely had active AFDs, although they look like passive
devices at first glance. Everything on Rossi's website looks like the
same AFD as the p10.

--
//-Walt
//
Old May 11th 05, 10:31 PM
Robert Swindells

On Wed, 11 May 2005 19:11:30 -0400, Walt wrote:

Robert Swindells wrote:
On Tue, 10 May 2005 21:20:53 -0400, VtSkier wrote:

Just for information, someone else mentioned that Look/Rossi
bindings have an active AFD. I went and looked at their
sites and it sure looks like they have active AFD's.

Their race bindings don't have active AFDs.

Are you sure? If so, which model(s) don't have them? The p10/p12 from
last year definitely had active AFDs, although they look like passive
devices at first glance. Everything on Rossi's website looks like the
same AFD as the p10.

Quite sure.

The Rossi models are FKS 185, 155 and 120. I don't know the equivalent
Look model numbers.

There is a picture on http://www.rossignolracing.com. Get past the first
page, select 'products' from the menu on the lhs then select the top line
in the 'Bindings' box.

Robert Swindells

Old May 12th 05, 01:56 PM
VtSkier

Robert Swindells wrote:

On Tue, 10 May 2005 21:20:53 -0400, VtSkier wrote:

Just for information, someone else mentioned that Look/Rossi
bindings have an active AFD. I went and looked at their
sites and it sure looks like they have active AFD's.

Their race bindings don't have active AFDs.

Are you sure? If so, which model(s) don't have them? The p10/p12 from
last year definitely had active AFDs, although they look like passive
devices at first glance. Everything on Rossi's website looks like the
same AFD as the p10.

Quite sure.

The Rossi models are FKS 185, 155 and 120. I don't know the equivalent
Look model numbers.

There is a picture on http://www.rossignolracing.com. Get past the first
page, select 'products' from the menu on the lhs then select the top line
in the 'Bindings' box.

Robert Swindells

Went to that page. The AFD on the the three FKS binding are
clearly teflon pads, but if you click on the Axial models,
the AFD sure looks like an Active.
Old May 12th 05, 01:57 PM
Walt

Robert Swindells wrote:
On Tue, 10 May 2005 21:20:53 -0400, VtSkier wrote:

Just for information, someone else mentioned that Look/Rossi
bindings have an active AFD. I went and looked at their
sites and it sure looks like they have active AFD's.

Their race bindings don't have active AFDs.

Are you sure?

Quite sure.

The Rossi models are FKS 185, 155 and 120. I don't know the equivalent
Look model numbers.

There is a picture on http://www.rossignolracing.com. Get past the first
page, select 'products' from the menu on the lhs then select the top line
in the 'Bindings' box.

It appears that you're right. The FK series has a different AFD design,
and it sure looks passive to me. Note that the other race binding, the
Axial series, has the same active AFD as as the rest of the Rossi/Look
product line.

I wonder why they're using a passive AFD for their top of the line
bindings...

--
//-Walt
//

[...]