Please help me analyze my technique (vids + pictures)

Old February 3rd 09, 03:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

Default Please help me analyze my technique (vids + pictures)

Hi there,

If somebody would take a minute and see my videos and pics I'd really
appreciate.
Basically I'm self-learner who want to freeride faster but also safe
and in full control. Riding for about 6-7 seasons, I have 167cm board
(I am 186), Voelkl Coal which is pretty stiff and I like it a lot.
I know I should take some lessons, but perhaps you can spot some
mistakes I make right away from the videos/pictures below.

Here are the links:

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=zgwoLMTHpJ4
http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=BWMyj7ZenyA (riding from the right
side)
http://picasaweb.google.com/mzawadzk/MarekSnowboard# (quickly click
over the pics, they are sequential)

Thanks,

-marek
Old February 3rd 09, 05:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Neil Gendzwill

wrote:
Hi there,

If somebody would take a minute and see my videos and pics I'd really
appreciate.
Basically I'm self-learner who want to freeride faster but also safe
and in full control. Riding for about 6-7 seasons, I have 167cm board
(I am 186), Voelkl Coal which is pretty stiff and I like it a lot.
I know I should take some lessons, but perhaps you can spot some
mistakes I make right away from the videos/pictures below.

Here are the links:

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=zgwoLMTHpJ4
http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=BWMyj7ZenyA (riding from the right
side)
http://picasaweb.google.com/mzawadzk/MarekSnowboard# (quickly click
over the pics, they are sequential)

Sorry, can't see the videos at work. Here's an example of your heelside
turn:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mzawadzk...80676073280738

Your legs are much too straight here. You probably find that on harder
snow or higher speeds that you are chattering on your edge there.

These are a couple examples of your toeside turn:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mzawadzk...80869946851874
http://picasaweb.google.com/mzawadzk...80994762120290

In this case you are bending forward from the waist and reaching for the
snow. This is going to take the weight off the edge of the board and
again you are likely to skid in harder conditions. Also it's a little
hard to see from the picture but it looks like your shoulders are
rotated towards the front. This tends to rotate your board.

Although it looks/feels cool to reach for the snow, it's more stable
technique especially at higher speeds to just bend your legs and keep
your upper body more erect/over the board. Try to keep your body square
to your binding angles and just turn your head to look where you are
going instead of rotating your whole torso.

Neil
Old February 3rd 09, 05:41 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bob F

wrote:
Hi there,

If somebody would take a minute and see my videos and pics I'd really
appreciate.
Basically I'm self-learner who want to freeride faster but also safe
and in full control. Riding for about 6-7 seasons, I have 167cm board
(I am 186), Voelkl Coal which is pretty stiff and I like it a lot.
I know I should take some lessons, but perhaps you can spot some
mistakes I make right away from the videos/pictures below.

Here are the links:

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=zgwoLMTHpJ4
http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=BWMyj7ZenyA (riding from the right
side)
http://picasaweb.google.com/mzawadzk/MarekSnowboard# (quickly click
over the pics, they are sequential)

I can't tell your boot angle from the pics. Your body should generally remain
lined up with your feet. You seem to open up to the front on your toes turns, a
frequent problem. Turn your head to see, not your shoulder.

Your arms are all over the place. Try to steady them, generally aligned with the
average angle of your feet. Then keep your torso and hips aligned aligned the
same. The center of your chest should point the same direction relative to the
feet at all parts of the turn.

From the pictures, it looks like your weight may be a little too far back on
your back foot. Your back leg seems to be flexed more than the front leg. The
reverse should be the norm, expecially at turn initiation. Straighten your back
leg some and bend the front leg more.

Try to flex for edging more from the knees and less from the waist, which will
keep your body more upright. On toe turns, arch your back (backwards) for more
solid edgeing.

You might want to experiment with boot lean angle. Adding more forward lean to
your highbacks allows more angle to be applied to your heel edge without sitting
back so far and allows keeping your legs more bent, so they can absorb bumps and
chatter better. This really helps on toe turns.

Your knee flex should vary during the turn. You can either drop very gradually
during the turn, then rise up and forward as you begin the front edge change for
the turn, or rise up gradually during the turn, pushing the board away from you
to the side, then retract your legs quickly and allow the board to carve
underneath you to cross under to the new edge on the other side of your
body(This is a more advanced turn). In either case, you want your weight more
forward (Over your front foot) as you initiate the turn, then shift weight back
to a more centered position as the turn progresses.

Practice exagerating the knee flex. Really exagerate it. Get a rythem going. "Up
and forward - doooooooooowwwwwwnnnn. Up and forward - doooooooooowwwwwwnnnn."
(Or vice-versa for the down-unweighted turns. (Down and forward - uuuuuuuppppp)
develop into a sequence of linked turns, with no delays between turns. The up
down motion really helps link the turns cleanly and smoothly.

A lot of self learners don't know to twist the board to initiate turns. Turns
are best started by pushing down lightly on the toe or heel of the front foot,
while "resisting" with the back foot, to initiate the turn. This releases the
front edge, while the back edge is still engaged. The front of the board then
begins to slip down the hill into the turn. As the turn progresses, the back
foot then follows the pressure change of the front foot to put you on the new
edge. For tighter turns, you can add twisting each foot in the direction of the
turn as you change the edge pressure of each foot. This will produce tighter,
but still rounded turns. This twist is just a smooth application of pressure -
as if you are just trying to point the toe toward or away from the other foot,
even though the board resists the force. This is great for bumps.

Play with this stuff, then go take a lesson to find out what you are doing right
and wrong. It still helps me, after years of teaching. It'll help you too.

Old February 3rd 09, 05:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bob F

Neil Gendzwill wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Good image. This shows the forward lean issue for the highbacks. Lean them way
forward, and he'll be able to get the same edge angle with some bend still in
his knees.

Old February 3rd 09, 10:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

Guys, really thanks a lot.

-marek
Old February 3rd 09, 10:41 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bob F

wrote:
Guys, really thanks a lot.

Let us know how it works out.

Old February 5th 09, 10:19 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

On 3 Lut, 18:41, "Bob F" wrote:
[...]
Practice exagerating the knee flex. Really exagerate it. Get a rythem going. "Up
and forward - doooooooooowwwwwwnnnn. Up and forward - doooooooooowwwwwwnnnn."
(Or vice-versa for the down-unweighted turns. (Down and forward - uuuuuuuppppp)
develop into a sequence of linked turns, with no delays between turns. The up
down motion really helps link the turns cleanly and smoothly.

Hi again.
Just wanted to mention my bindings angles a 45 front, 24 back. I
found out over the years this setup gives me the best speed/control
combination, probably not the best for jumping/tricks (which I don't
care that much). What do you think about my setup?

And (even though I know this is probably a common question) - Bob,
would you please try to describe these 2 types of turns (always forget
their technical names) in more detail - i.e. what do I do exactly from
start (facing down the slope)?
And what are the advantages/physics behind each of them (I love to
know physics behind such things - help me to memorize them better).

Thanks!

-marek
Old February 5th 09, 05:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bob F

wrote:
On 3 Lut, 18:41, "Bob F" wrote:
[...]
Practice exagerating the knee flex. Really exagerate it. Get a
rythem going. "Up and forward - doooooooooowwwwwwnnnn. Up and
forward - doooooooooowwwwwwnnnn." (Or vice-versa for the
down-unweighted turns. (Down and forward - uuuuuuuppppp) develop
into a sequence of linked turns, with no delays between turns. The
up down motion really helps link the turns cleanly and smoothly.

Hi again.
Just wanted to mention my bindings angles a 45 front, 24 back. I
found out over the years this setup gives me the best speed/control
combination, probably not the best for jumping/tricks (which I don't
care that much). What do you think about my setup?

I really like both my feet at near zero - straight across the board. Virtually
all the instructors I ride with are similar. I have to have a wide board to
avoid toeing and heeling out. The theory is that this position puts your leg
joints in the best position to control the board edging without producing
rotation in the hips and other joints to apply forces to the board edge. The
more angle you have, the less the natural bending angles of your leg match up to
the way you want to move the board, and the more they tend to move your body
forward/backward along the length of the board as you flex. Then again, I like
lots of turns when I ride. Hardboot racers probably have a completely different
view on this.

And (even though I know this is probably a common question) - Bob,
would you please try to describe these 2 types of turns (always forget
their technical names) in more detail - i.e. what do I do exactly from
start (facing down the slope)?
And what are the advantages/physics behind each of them (I love to
know physics behind such things - help me to memorize them better).

Many riders use very little up/down motion as they ride. Adding up/down, by
bending and unbending your knees makes turn initiation much easier and more
reliable. It also adds to your ability to edge the board and pressure it to flex
it more into the turn.

Both of the turns use up/down motion to flatten and unweight the board. Up
unweighting (low during the turn, then rising as you initiate the turn) results
in the body center -of-mass crossing over the board as the board flattens, then
goes onto the new edge. PSIA calls it a crossover turn. Down-unweighting (legs
extended in the middle of the turn, they quickly retracting as the board drives
back in and under the rider) causes the board to cross under the rider, changing
edges as it does so. This is called a crossunder turn. It is a very dynamic
turn - you want to develop a continuous rhythm to make it work well.

The crossover turn is the first that most riders learn. It is easier to do, and
easier to learn. Traversing the slope on your heels, bend low at the knees.
Start the turn by rising up and forward as you drop the toe edge on the front
end of the board. As the turn progress, and the rear edge changes also,
gradually lower your body by bending the knees and ankles. Then extend up and
forward as you drop the front heel edge into the next turn.

The crossunder turn is something that many riders never learn. It is more
dynamic, and tends to keep the edge better engaged by absorbing bumps as you
initiate the turn because it helps the board come up over the bump as your body
moves smoothly above the bump. Crossunder turns can produce much faster, tighter
turns for bumps and powder. They can also increase speed for hard carving. If
you extend the legs out to the side forcibly after the "crossunder" edge change,
you will actually accelerate as you do so, just like pushing skates out to the
side to speed up.

To try the crossunder turn, start a traverse on heel edge, legs fairly straight
(you are "tall"). To initiate the turn, suddenly drop low, bending your knees
deeply as you lower the front toe. As the turn progresses start pushing on the
back toe to complete the edge change and re-extend your legs, pushing the board
out to the side. As the board comes around and starts heading back towards you,
drop quickly, allowing it to shoot underneath you, lowering your front heel as
it does, then applying pressure to the rear heel and extending again. Repeat as
needed.

Old February 5th 09, 06:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

Wow, these are great instructions - thank you! Need to read them for
few days and think about the whole thing, but perhaps you guys have
some pictures or better, videos that show the difference between
crossover and crossunder turns?

-marek

vids sapporo sprint Worlds [email protected] Nordic Skiing 6 February 26th 07 02:54 AM
vids??? [email protected] Nordic Skiing 3 January 24th 07 12:44 AM
cool Vids martin haynes Snowboarding 0 May 10th 05 08:07 PM
Vids FITZGERALD Nordic Skiing 0 February 21st 05 11:22 PM
Playing Janne-Vids on old Mac? [email protected] Nordic Skiing 3 February 9th 05 06:08 PM