Salzberg -> Zell am See

Old February 16th 05, 06:59 PM
Jorg

Default Salzberg -> Zell am See

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 17:32:21 +0000, David Mahon
wrote:

Anybody driven to Zell am See / Kaprun from Salzberg?

I have the option to go there for a weekend in a months time. I may well
hire a car at the airport rather than get a coach because the price is
similar (for two of us) and it will give me the freedom to go to Kaprun
as well if necessary for snow.

My question: Will I need snow chains (at a cost of about 40 euros)?

At the moment (today, this week) Salzburg has about 60 cm of fresh
snow every day..
Old February 18th 05, 12:47 PM
AH

You can get a train from Salzburg to Zell am See, and there is a bus which
is included on the lift ticket that runs regularly to Kaprun.. I wouldn't
hire a car..

--
David Mahon

Old February 20th 05, 11:03 AM
C.O.Jones

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 00:27:23 +0000, David Mahon
wrote:

Ah, well, their online system..... My German is very rusty

Then try the DB site in english

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/que...ewrequest=yes&

I think that if you order enough in advance you can order the tickets
online (even for the OBB services)

I am going for a short Easter break, so don't want to waste time waiting
for trains. If anyone who can fathom the timetable can help, what is my
best bet on the train given that I will:

Arrive in Salzburg 09:05 25/03/2005
Leave Salzburg 09:40 28/03/2005

Salzburg Hbf 25.03.05 dep 09:04 3a EC 111
Schwarzach-St. Veit 25.03.05 arr 10:07 3
Schwarzach-St. Veit 25.03.05 dep 10:10 2
SPR 1504 Salzach Sprinter
Zell am See 25.03.05 arr 10:41 3
Duration: 1:37; runs daily

Zell am See 28.03.05 dep 07:47 1 R 5015
Salzburg Hbf 28.03.05 arr 09:40 14

What trains are available, direct or changes, how long does it take,
what if I miss one (how long till the next) and how much for 2 return
tickets.

Plenty of options on the route

A car will cost me about 100 quid, plus 25 quid for chains if I need
them. It'll take about an hour and a half (GPS will be leading me) and I
can be at a mountain restaurant for lunch.

37.60€ by train.

HTH (I must be bored this morning - I've done the hardwork for you!)

ernest

Old February 20th 05, 11:04 AM
Turan Fettahoglu

Arrive in Salzburg 09:05 25/03/2005
Leave Salzburg 09:40 28/03/2005

Have a look at the Austrian rail page: www.oebb.at
Click "International Guests". Then you can check the timetable in English,
Austrian style.
The trains run every hour or so. The distance Salzburg-Zell am See is 100 km
(60 miles), the return fare some 17 Euros. The train needs the better part
of two hours to Zell am See. Order your ticket online and get a reservation,
it might be useful around Easter.

The plane might arrive late, so be sure the ticket is also valid on later
trains. Try to get to the railway station as fast as possible and hop into
the next suitable train.

Happy Skiing!

Turan

Old February 20th 05, 11:50 AM
Brains

wrote:

Ah, well, their online system..... My German is very rusty ....

Must have an english option if you look hard enough probably for an
obscure Union Jack or the word, English.

I am going for a short Easter break, so don't want to waste time waiting
for trains. If anyone who can fathom the timetable can help, what is my
best bet on the train given that I will:

Arrive in Salzburg 09:05 25/03/2005
Leave Salzburg 09:40 28/03/2005

Obviously, there's the possibility of delay inbound.

What trains are available, direct or changes, how long does it take,
what if I miss one (how long till the next) and how much for 2 return
tickets.

A car will cost me about 100 quid, plus 25 quid for chains if I need
them. It'll take about an hour and a half (GPS will be leading me) and I
can be at a mountain restaurant for lunch.

There the Airport bus 58 Euro return for 2. 1hour15 and you can still
use you GPS to check on the bus driver. You won't need a car in Zell
am See.

http://www.vorderegger.at/communicat...k=&Language=EN
Old February 20th 05, 12:20 PM
C.O.Jones

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 12:09:31 +0000, David Mahon
wrote:

Do the Austrian trains run on time like the Swiss, or are they more like
ours?

I don't think any other country in Europe has trains as ropey as ours!

My direct experience is of German trains where the timing is very good
(and the locals still moan about how unreliable the trains are)

I think that you will be pleasantly surprised.

ernest
Old February 20th 05, 01:07 PM
Turan Fettahoglu

Do the Austrian trains run on time like the Swiss, or are they more like
ours?

I think that you will be pleasantly surprised.

....if the weather is fine. After a blizzard anything is possible - delays,
cancellations, re-routing etc.

Traditionally, in any winter the Arlberg railway (connecting Tyrol and
Vorarlberg) is closed due to snow for a day or two. On the other hand: in
bad weather you are safer in a train than in a car, even with snow chains.

Kind regards
Turan

Old February 20th 05, 03:47 PM
Brains

wrote:

Do the Austrian trains run on time like the Swiss, or are they more like
ours?

I find Austrian trains are generally good especially connections where
they often wait if the incoming train is delayed. Some of the stock
can be old though if you're expecting all the creature comforts.

Old February 20th 05, 11:40 PM
Georg Klein

David Mahon wrote:
Do the Austrian trains run on time like the Swiss, or are they more
like ours?

I've been maybe 30 mins late on this service once before. It was after fresh
snow. I think they tend to slow down when there's ice hanging on the power
lines.. makes for pretty sparks too.

In general the oebb services are punctual. If they ever do mess up and you
miss a connection, they'll even hire taxis for you.

As for snow chains, I've made the odd short trip to the alps in hire cars
without chains and even without winter tyres. It's very definitely a gamble
though. I'm very surprised at the number of french and italian rental car
companies which will cheerily send you off into the alps with summer tyres
and no chains available for rental.. I've never hired in Austria so don't
know if it's the same there.

Salzbe[|u]rg -> Zell am See Florian Anwander European Ski Resorts 0 February 16th 05 05:45 PM
Route advise: Salzburg Airport to Zell am See Jack Guest` European Ski Resorts 3 February 27th 04 11:58 AM
Bloody cheap transfer from Salzburg to Zell am See? Jack Guest` European Ski Resorts 1 February 13th 04 01:48 PM
Zell am See Carl Price Snowboarding 3 February 3rd 04 07:45 PM
Zell am See over Christmas Me European Ski Resorts 1 September 8th 03 10:11 AM