Efficient glide waxing...

Old March 15th 05, 12:22 PM
wintermutt

Default Efficient glide waxing...

wear dirty glasses when you clean next time. beauty and/or cleanliness
is in the eye of the beholder.
"it is in a dark time that the eye begins to see". goethe.
bill

Old March 15th 05, 01:02 PM
Ben Kaufman

On 15 Mar 2005 08:08:32 -0500, wrote:

How long should it take to clean and
wax a pair of skate skiing for basic
training?

This time of year, with the dirty snow,
it takes me almost an hour. I must be
doing something wrong. The skis start out
very dirty, and it takes two or more soft
warm waxings before the scraped wax is just
a light grey.

Any tips?

Do you wipe them down as a first step?

Do you try to get up some of the old wax before putting any more on the ski?

Ben
Old March 15th 05, 10:57 PM
Gene Goldenfeld

It's not clear what you do, so here's one suggestion: Brush w/ a copper
or soft metal brush, as suggested, so that the structure is clearly
visible. Wipe. Iron in base prep or a wax one temp range up from what
you're using to clean. Wipe while molten or scrape and brush w/in 5
minutes. Iron in the wax of the day, wait 20 minutes, scrape and
brush. Noel at Sierra Nordic claims that you can scrape the final layer
hot, too, but I'm not clear how durable that will be (or you need). You
can check his website tech tips at www.sierranordic.com. Depending on
the method and how you stagger the skis, it can be done in 30-40 mins,
maybe less. Fluoros tend to be more resistant to dirt.

Gene

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in rec.skiing.nordic...)

Old March 16th 05, 12:08 PM
Bjorn A. Payne Diaz

Any tips?

If you bases are gummed up, I wouldn't brush them as that will gum up
the brush. Here's my method:

-Plug in the iron, go have a piece of toast
-Sharpen scraper
-Do a warm scrape and scrape lightly right after ironing
-Repeat if the skis are dirty
-For training, I wouldn't worry about brushing out the wax used for
warm scraping
-Iron in the wax of the day
-Switch skis
-Warm scrape x 2
-Switch skis
-Scrape and brush wax of the day
-Switch skis
-Scrape and brush wax of the day

Don't worry about letting the wax of the day cool for 20 min, just get
it off the ski. For your conditions, you'll probably use at least a low
flouro wax. I'd say this process is probably 45 min. If you want to
speed it up, you can use the wax of the day on the second warm scrape,
let it cool and brush. That ought to be good enough for training.

Jay Wenner

Old March 20th 05, 03:37 PM
Ken Roberts

AHall wrote
Well, then my 1 hr is not too far off.

If I had to spend that much time waxing in order to have fun on skis, I'd
find a different sport.

I think I skated about 8 days over the past three weeks, had lots of fun --
and only waxed my skis once.

My method was:

if they glided OK last time:
* do nothing and see if the Cerax will last another 20-40 km.
* maybe refresh the structure the the Toko structure tool.

if it feels like it's time to wax:
* wipe off obvious dirt with a wet paper towel.
* brush with brass brush and scrape a few times.
* wipe on Cerax AS and wait for it to dry.
* brush with nylon brush.
* roll with Toko structure tool.

Ken

Old March 22nd 05, 04:55 PM
Camilo

Good advice on quick and easy training waxing has been given. Can't add to
it. But this might help. The www.swixsport.com website now has something
called "waxing school" which gives some pretty straight forward advice on
waxing. Pretty clear and simple. Video demonstrations as well.

Camilo

Old March 23rd 05, 12:17 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 08:55:28 -0900, "Camilo"
wrote:

Good advice on quick and easy training waxing has been given. Can't add to
it. But this might help. The www.swixsport.com website

I know people keep saying that site has good info, but I never can
find anything. I just don't understand how it works.

JFT

Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com