Oslo snow reports

Old December 8th 07, 04:40 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
David Dermott

Default Oslo snow reports

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Paul Cromey wrote:

Hello

I am trying to place the areas mentioned on this web page - e.g. Nordmarka
Nord, Syd etc. Is there an area map on the site at all. The photos are
very helpful. Just trying to work out where they are in relation to Oslo
and, for example Holmenkollen. or whether they are a 1 hour bus ride or
some such oyt of Oslo.

There is a simple overview (Oversikt over Marka) sketch map
on the right middle of the front page.

To find a specific spot you can try this
http://www.skiforeningen.no/markadb/showpoi.cgi

Check the "Velger et Sted" (choose a place) box to get
an alphabetic list of place names, then select the one
you want

ie Frognerseter
will bring up a description of the place, and maybe a "trikk/T-bane" box
or Rutebuss box (tram/subway or bus line), clicking that will
tell a bit about the bus/train service to that point
ie Frogneseter is reached by T-bane line 1 every 15 minutes
There is also a box to display a map of the area

You can also get a list of tours (hike, ski or cycling) at:
http://www.skiforeningen.no/markadb/showtour.cgi

It would be quite helpful to study bus, t-bane and NSB rail
schedules and routes beforehand. There is a portal to them at:
http://www.trafikanten.no/ (not much in English)

T-bane (subway) line 1 goes from Central station to Holmenkollen and
Frogneseter. T-bane line 3 goes to Sognsvann. I think there is another
T-bane line giving access to østmarka (east)

NSB trains (except for the express) on the Gjøvik line stop at Hakadal,
Stryken, Harestua, Grua, which are popular starting points for trails in
Northern Nordmarka. NSB puts on extra trains on weekends.

There is another map of trails in Oslo municipality at:
http://www.markakart.net/vinter/index.htm

--

David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
email:
Old December 8th 07, 05:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Paul[_4_]

Many thanks for peoples help. Skiforengen is an excellent site with lots of
info. Have been looking for a Norweigen to english translation website.
Has anyone come across one?

Thanks for the hints and tips David. Very useful.

Paul

caldomain...

Old December 8th 07, 10:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
dardruba

Norway seems like a slice of Heaven. Is the food good there?

If you're overnighting at Oslo I can recommend the ORO Restaurant for a wonderful
culinary experience.
http://www.ororestaurant.no
The page doesnt really do justice to the great food and the ambiance of the place,
and it really is a tasting experience.
We were there in the summer and when my wife is asked if we had a nice trip to the
North Cape all she talks about this place.
Mike
Old December 9th 07, 02:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen

dardruba wrote:

Norway seems like a slice of Heaven. Is the food good there?

If you're overnighting at Oslo I can recommend the ORO Restaurant for a
wonderful
culinary experience.
http://www.ororestaurant.no
The page doesnt really do justice to the great food and the ambiance of
the place,
and it really is a tasting experience.
We were there in the summer and when my wife is asked if we had a nice
trip to the
North Cape all she talks about this place.

Good for you!

ORO is probably in the top 10 in Oslo, but I'd certainly rate at least
Alex (Sushi) and Bagatelle well in front. :-)

Terje

--
-
Old December 11th 07, 11:06 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Lew Lasher

You can also take a look at the home page of the most avid skier in
Oslo, "Milslukern" ("The mile gobbler") Tom Stensaker:

Even more impressive, considering that a Norwegian mile is 10 km:

http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mil

although it used to be 11.3 km:

http://www.dokpro.uio.no/perl/ordbok...bet=n&renset=j

Lew Lasher
Cambridge, Massachusetts and Stowe, Vermont
Old December 12th 07, 03:44 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
David Dermott

Default Milslukern (was: Oslo snow reports)

http://www.tomstensaker.no/

Even more impressive, considering that a Norwegian mile is 10 km:

http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mil

or in English:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian/Swedish_mil
or in Swedish:
http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mil

Trivia from the above articles:
"Mil" was also related to "rast", the distance a person could walk
before taking a rest. Probably also related to the distance of a "stage"
in a stage-coach line (where horses were changed and inns were
established)

More trivia from the Swedish article: Before 1649, the mil was a
different length in each "landskap". Then the Uppland mil (10.7 km) became
the standard Swedish mil. Then in 1889, mil became exactly 10 km in both
Sweden and Norway. Lucky for us that the Dalarna-mil (14.5 km) didn't
become the standard, because then "doing the whole 9 miles" of Vasaloppet
(in Dalarna) would mean skiing 130 km!