Bags and Tools

Old February 6th 04, 07:51 PM
Max

Default Bags and Tools

What type of bags (im talking about rucksacks, backpacks or whatever you
feel like saying) do you take up the mountain? Im looking for a light bag
with one of them water holder things with a straw (you know the ones I
mean). A few external pockets and a main compartment, ideally it should be
low profile with a strap to come round the front.

Also I would like a tool just in case I need to make any adjustments,
hopefully small and cool looking with a screwdriver for bindings and
adjustments, I would also like a knife (not to stab anyone) because they are
handy sometimes. Are the small leathermans any good?

Any recommendations on these two things, I have seen a lot about but
recommendations from the people who use them are useful.

Cheers

Max

Old February 6th 04, 08:06 PM

For water & things you want a Camelbak www.camelbak.com

Leatherman is good quality, but you need something that you can get a fair
amount of torque with to tighten a binding screw. By small do you mean the
keychain ones? Or the regular sized Leathermans? Look on REI.com, as some
companies make snowboard specific all-in-one tools.

-Tom

"Max" wrote in message
What type of bags (im talking about rucksacks, backpacks or whatever you
feel like saying) do you take up the mountain? Im looking for a light bag
with one of them water holder things with a straw (you know the ones I
mean). A few external pockets and a main compartment, ideally it should be
low profile with a strap to come round the front.

Also I would like a tool just in case I need to make any adjustments,
hopefully small and cool looking with a screwdriver for bindings and
adjustments, I would also like a knife (not to stab anyone) because they

are
handy sometimes. Are the small leathermans any good?

Any recommendations on these two things, I have seen a lot about but
recommendations from the people who use them are useful.

Cheers

Max

---

Old February 7th 04, 06:13 PM
Baretta

I've been using a 2L Tracker pack made by Hydrapack and don't leave home
without it. Very lightweight, comfortable, has a large zippered compartment
plus a smaller key comp. The part against your back is insulated so will
keep your drink either warm or cold. You can wear it over your coat or
under - I use it under my coat, has waist and chest straps to keep it
secure. The cut is contoured so you hardly know its there. A few times I've
landed hard on my back and was worried I might have busted the bladder in
the pack, but its been tough and leakproof - highly recommended.

The 2 liters / 72 oz does me for the day on the slopes. You can always
refill during the lunch breaks if you have to. You can find other similar
ones by Camelback, Platypus, High Sierra - check out cycling or outdoor
shops. Price will vary from $15 - $80 depending on features and sack size.
Look for one that has a wide opening for filling and cleaning. Be sure to
clean and dry it out after each use - last thing you want is sucking on mold
and getting sick.

As for tools, the most useful one I find is the bullet shaped ones from a
ski shop - has the main driver inserts for adjusting bindings and such,
small wrench, plus a flip out lever for help in properly
tightening/loosening frozen screws. The thing is small and compact enough to
fit in any small pocket. As for the leatherman, I carry a similar knockoff
(cheapie $25) that has the knife, pliers, drivers, etc... but I hardly use
it, it stays in pack pouch - just make sure you buy one that is made
entirely of stainless steel to avoid rusting between uses.

Old February 8th 04, 04:22 AM
tlf

"Max" wrote in message
What type of bags (im talking about rucksacks, backpacks or whatever you
feel like saying) do you take up the mountain? Im looking for a light bag
with one of them water holder things with a straw (you know the ones I
mean). A few external pockets and a main compartment, ideally it should be
low profile with a strap to come round the front.

DaKine Helipro - 900 cu in., great for BC use too. Shovel pocket, Horizontal
or Vertical Board carrier, Carries probe too. has a small pocket on the top
and one main compartment with a water bladder pocket. I love it!!!

Old February 12th 04, 02:12 AM
Neil M-G

I have a DaKine HeliPro pack
http://www.dakine.com

and a CamelBak the Classic
http://www.camelbak.com

I always have the hydration pack (that's what they are called) with
me, and when I need the bigger pack, I put the bladder from the
CamelBak in the pocket for it
in the DaKine. Both are great packs. DaKine also sells just the
hydration bladder
for all of their snow packs. If you are looking for a good hydration
pack, get a
CamelBak, they make the best stuff.

As for tools, I would highly reccomend the Bakoda McIver Driver.
http://www.bakoda.com
It has three different screw bits (2 Philips and 1 slotted) and also a
closed-end wrench with two different sizes. All of the pieces are
magnetized so
they wont' fall out. Also incldes a tape measure. There is also a lace
puller &
bottle opener built into the swing out screwdriver But the best
function by far
is the button on it. Push that button, and the screwdriver snaps out,
which is
great when you are on the mountain, because you don't have to take
your gloves
off (unless you need to change bits).

Those are my two cents.