italy budget accomodation?

Old October 27th 04, 08:02 PM
chris

Default italy budget accomodation?

Hi ,
We are a group of 3 or 4 families with children and are looking to go for a
cheap holiday in one of the Italian resorts looking to fly to Turin (
Ryanair)
Never skied in Italy so I wonderd if anyone had any recommendations for
a) resort suitable for beginners intermediates/advanced intermediates
bearing in mind we would be going near the end of season ( beginning of
April) so probably need to go for a high resort
b) suitable ski shools for children aged 8 - 13
c) any budget accomodation in such resorts /cheapest ways of arranging
accomodation e.g. via local tourist office?

TIA fo any help on the above
Chris

Old October 28th 04, 07:35 AM
Nick Hounsome

I went with a group to Sauze d'Oulx two seasons ago - I couldn't recommend
it for beginners but the linked resort of Sestriere looked to me to have
something for everyone.

We went last minute but the package prices for half board seem quite
reasonable even at full price. (The food was not great though!)

Old October 28th 04, 08:42 AM
Maris

Went to Livigno last March (mid). Found a very good accommodation deal
at Piccolo Tibet hotel. Food was brilliant and the staff very friendly
(http://www.piccolotibet.it/). Skiing was not too demanding. It was
very hot but the snow was still OK, although had to go to the North
side of the valley in the afternoons. Booze was dirt cheap!!

Maris

Old November 3rd 04, 08:24 AM
Bob C

"chris" wrote in message
Hi ,
We are a group of 3 or 4 families with children and are looking to go for

cheap holiday in one of the Italian resorts looking to fly to Turin (
Ryanair)
Never skied in Italy so I wonderd if anyone had any recommendations for
a) resort suitable for beginners intermediates/advanced intermediates
bearing in mind we would be going near the end of season ( beginning of
April) so probably need to go for a high resort
b) suitable ski shools for children aged 8 - 13
c) any budget accomodation in such resorts /cheapest ways of arranging
accomodation e.g. via local tourist office?

TIA fo any help on the above
Chris

La Thuile, Cervinia, Claviere possibly Sestriere should all still have
reasonable skiing at this time of the year. No idea what the ski schools are
like. If you contact the tourist boards they should be able to give you a
list of accommodation with prices.

Old November 5th 04, 03:19 PM
Rob

Livigno, would seem to meet all your criteria. I stayed in excellent
value self-catering apartments very close to the town centre (can't
remember the name but they have a big agency office on the main road
and should be easily locatble on the web. It's a duty-free region,
so very cheap, and there's great skiing for all grades.

The only negatives i'd say are the resort is split across a valley
(but there's plenty of good ski terrain to keep you happy for a whole
day on both sides) and the longish journey from the airport. Quickest
route i think is Easyjet to Zurich, then train to Zenez (CH) and bus
connection to Livigno (about 3.5 hours Zurich to resort).

Good luck, wherever you decide.
Rob