how to fix slipping heels in almost-new boots

Old January 9th 07, 03:17 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Default how to fix slipping heels in almost-new boots

Hi All -- I bought some new boots recently and have skied on them maybe
8-10 times so far this season. The past two times I've skied on them,
I've noticed that my heel is coming up, which gives me slightly less
control. I'm worried that the boots may be a half size too big and
that I didn't anticipate how much the padding would get crunched. What
can I do to fix this?

Old January 9th 07, 03:24 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
JQ

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All -- I bought some new boots recently and have skied on them maybe
8-10 times so far this season. The past two times I've skied on them,
I've noticed that my heel is coming up, which gives me slightly less
control. I'm worried that the boots may be a half size too big and
that I didn't anticipate how much the padding would get crunched. What
can I do to fix this?

1. tighten the buckle just above the instep
2. buy a heel cup or wedge and insert it under heel
3. buy either new boots or liners that is smaller

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old January 9th 07, 12:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

JQ wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All -- I bought some new boots recently and have skied on them maybe
8-10 times so far this season. The past two times I've skied on them,
I've noticed that my heel is coming up, which gives me slightly less
control. I'm worried that the boots may be a half size too big and
that I didn't anticipate how much the padding would get crunched. What
can I do to fix this?

1. tighten the buckle just above the instep
2. buy a heel cup or wedge and insert it under heel
3. buy either new boots or liners that is smaller

JQ
Dancing on the edge

So far so good, but one important question.

Do your heels come up when pushing against the
boot tongue or only when you forcibly push up
from the balls of your feet?

If the latter, then maybe they aren't too loose.

JQ missed the obvious. There is a pre-made
"butterfly" insert that goes around the heel and
above and below the ankle bone to reduce the
volume in the heel area. Any "good" ski shop
will have these available.

Also, when shopping for boots again, look for
an ankle buckle (second down from top) which
features a low diagonal "pull" across the ankle
joint. This will suck your heel back in place
and keep it there.

The Dalbello Krypton has this feature as do a
couple of the Scarpa AT models. There are probably
others, but I am most familiar with these two
brands.
Old January 11th 07, 03:08 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

snoig wrote:

Tognar.com sells lots of shims and other products to help fit your
boots. They also have a boot fit guide on their website.

Tattoos, haircuts, and bootfitting are three things one should not
attempt to do for oneself.

That is all.

// Walt