Cross Country Ski Machines

Old March 8th 04, 01:12 PM
FB

Default Cross Country Ski Machines

Has anyone tried the Fitness Quest Edge Cross Country Ski Simulators Model
numbers 420 or 450? Opinions? I like the Nordictrack ski machine but these
Fitness Quest models are much less expensive. Thanks.

Old March 8th 04, 10:43 PM
revyakin

unfortunately, nordic track machines have nothing to do with nordic
skiing, so we can't help you here at rec.nordic, sorry.

Old March 9th 04, 12:19 AM
J999w

unfortunately, nordic track machines have nothing to do with nordic
skiing,

Huh ?

They dont?

jw

Old March 18th 04, 05:19 PM
Proctologically Violated©®

"revyakin" wrote in message
om...
unfortunately, nordic track machines have nothing to do with nordic
skiing,

Marvelous point, one that has somehow evaded the hole of the
American Pubic®©.
But then, that is the beauty of sucksessful advertising.
--
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d

so we can't help you here at rec.nordic, sorry.

.com...

Old March 18th 04, 07:48 PM
Diva

Maybe I'm just all wrong on this, but if they don't condition you at all for
nordic skiing, how come I immediately got out on XC skis and was strong
enough to go for hours the first time? I work out jogging on a treadmill and
on a Nordic Track machine regularly. I thought that possibly had something
to do with it, no?

June

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message

"revyakin" wrote in message
om...
unfortunately, nordic track machines have nothing to do with nordic
skiing,

Marvelous point, one that has somehow evaded the hole of the
American Pubic®©.
But then, that is the beauty of sucksessful advertising.
--
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

so we can't help you here at rec.nordic, sorry.

.com...

Old March 18th 04, 08:46 PM
Chris Esposito

Diva wrote:
Maybe I'm just all wrong on this, but if they don't condition you at all for
nordic skiing, how come I immediately got out on XC skis and was strong
enough to go for hours the first time? I work out jogging on a treadmill and
on a Nordic Track machine regularly. I thought that possibly had something
to do with it, no?

The problem with them isn't so much their conditioning effect for XC
(where I agree with you a bit more), but the often negative effect they
have on technique for those people that do not already have good classic
form. The forward-to-back range of motion is limited on the ones I have
used, it is all too easy to practice a habit of not getting complete
side-to-side weight transfer, and it does nothing to help with dynamic
balance on the gliding leg. The resulting technique often winds up
looking too much like a shuffle.

Chris
Old March 18th 04, 09:27 PM
Diva

Okay, well that makes good sense. I did notice that my skiing feels much
different than the machine, and I also noticed that my ski buddy tends to
look like she is shuffling when she skis. I've been practicing shifting my
weight from leg to leg and letting myself glide as much as possible. That is
totally different from what goes on when I am on my nordic track machine.
Still, that machine gives me a good workout, and that is what I'm after when
I use it. Thanks for the explanation, Chris.

June