Gatineau Park - Wed 07 Jan 2004

Old January 7th 04, 08:36 PM
Darrel Newman

Default Gatineau Park - Wed 07 Jan 2004

Pretty cold (-12 C) and getting colder ( -27C overnight). The snow was OK.
Skied from P10 and used Trail # 3 (known as Burma or Huron Trail) and
attempted to go to Western Hut via Ridge Road (# 1). My hands were getting
cold so I turned around at Champlain Lookout and headed to Huron Hut to get
warm.

The parkways have snow in the icy tracks. Trail # 3 (Burma - Huron) is
better than the Trail # 1 (Ridge Road). The descent of Khyber pass was safe
& OK.

We have seen a deer at Huron Hut eating from the bird seed on the ground fro
the past 3 ski trips. A lady at Huron reported that she saw a herd of 10 on
the Champlain Parkway between Fortune Parkway and Huron Hut. I saw a group
of 3 just before I started the Khyber Pass. I have never seen deer in the
park while I have been skiing for the past 18 years.

Regards

Darrel Newman

Old January 8th 04, 02:54 PM
Peter Tregunno

The overnight conditions on the parkways were cold and very hard in
the south end of the park. There was a little breeze coming from the
north, which made things even colder (-30's windchill). Skating was
slow, but that could have been the engine. I think that classic would
have been a better choice.

My biggest problem was the combination of my glasses fogging up and
ice forming on my balaclava. Anyone got a solution for the glasses?

Old January 8th 04, 04:08 PM
Darrel Newman

I have some glacier glasses from MEC that don't normally fog up. I have
tried the rub on paste that is supposed to stop fogging but it just is
messy.

I had a pair of glasses that I lost. They were cats eye shaped and had
small holes all along the top of the lens. They were really good.

Skiing in the Gatineau Park will have to wait until Sunday for me. The
temperature will return to something like only miserable instead of the
currently deadly status.

Old January 8th 04, 06:47 PM
JMC

"Peter Tregunno" wrote in message
om...
My biggest problem was the combination of my glasses fogging up and
ice forming on my balaclava. Anyone got a solution for the glasses?

If you are talking about prescription glasses, not much you can do. Some
people use anti-fog products, but these never really worked for me. I found
that trying in as much as possible to prevent my breath from reaching the
lenses works best for me. I wear my glasses over my toque; as soon as I stop
or (slowly) go uphill, I lift them to my forehead. On flats or going
downhill, they come down. This way, they seldom fog up. If you wear the
balaklava over your mouth or nose, it only makes matter worse because your
breath is trapped and comes right up to your lenses.

For sunglasses, you can do the same or get a pair of glasses with double
lenses. These glasses work just like ski goggles; my wife's got a pair of
Carrera C28 and she never complain about fogging lenses.

JMC

-22°C right now. I am NOT going to ski today.

Old January 8th 04, 11:44 PM
Mike Hui

Is the snow coverage good enough to use your good skis?

.... Mike

ble.rogers.com...

Old January 9th 04, 02:21 AM
Darrel Newman

If you stay on the parkways, # 1 and # 3 you can use your good skis. I did.