Links between Oz en Oisans and Alpe d'Huez?

Old December 1st 03, 05:44 PM
Andy Turner

Default Links between Oz en Oisans and Alpe d'Huez?

My friends and I have had a week booked in Alpe d'Huez in January for
some time. We looked into it and decided that it was the most ideal
for what we wanted, decent apre-ski, a few clubs, decent night life -
as well as the skiing of course.. Anyhow, recently we were told that
we're not in Alpe d'Huez as such, but rather we're in Oz en Oisans
("in the Alpe d'Huez area"). They claim it's not a problem because
we're in the same ski-area, but surely it totally rules out being in
the main town of Alpe d'Huez in the evening, because the lifts will be
shut and we won't be able to get back?

Has anyone been recently, is there a cable car that runs into the
evening, or some other decent way of getting back from the main town
in the evenings, enabling us to go out and party in Alpe d'Huez and be
able to get back to our accommodation in Oz en Oisans?

Cheers

andyt

Old December 2nd 03, 12:02 PM
Paul

"Andy Turner" wrote in message

[...]

Andy,

You are right to be worried, Oz is well connected to Alpe D'Huez but only by
the lift system which stops at about 5:00pm. To get to Alpe D'Huez after
this would cost a fortune by taxi or take ages by bus.

Having said that Oz is a pleasant enough small resort but is not the same as
Alpe D'Huez.

If your are interested in the skiing then being in Oz is no problem. If you
really want night life may be best to kick up with the travel agent/tour
operator.

Paul

Old December 2nd 03, 12:18 PM
David Off

Andy Turner wrote in message . ..
Anyhow, recently we were told that
we're not in Alpe d'Huez as such, but rather we're in Oz en Oisans
("in the Alpe d'Huez area"). They claim it's not a problem because
we're in the same ski-area, but surely it totally rules out being in
the main town of Alpe d'Huez in the evening, because the lifts will be
shut and we won't be able to get back?

Check with the lift office, the Oz lift is a bubble and then you take
the DMC car to l'Alpe d'Huez so there is a chance they might run them
in the evening. Otherwise there is about 1 bar on Oz. It is a family
place or a day resort for the Grenoblois.

or some other decent way of getting back from the main town
in the evenings

Just the cable car. Did you check the l'Alpe d'Huez website? The
pistemap will give the running times of the lifts.
Old December 2nd 03, 07:39 PM
Carl_M

[...]

Sorry Andy but I think you are out of luck. I went to Alpe D'Huez a
couple of years ago and there is a ridge between it and Oz, buses
would need to go down into the valley and back up again (maybe an hour
each way) so it would be quite a journey and therefore unlikly to be
offered.

I don't remember the lifts running through the night, it would very
expensive and tends to only happen on short lifts up the valley a bit.

If you were told you were staying in Alpe D'Huez I would give your
travel agent a good talking to and demand to be moved to somewhere in
Alpe D'Huez. If you just picked out a place in the brochure on the
Alpe D'Huez page with a little note next to your accomodation that it
was in Oz you are probably out of luck.

The surrounding villages of big ski areas offer much cheaper
accomodation than the big resorts. They are great for those on a
budget and those who like quiet evenings however they have two major
drawbacks:

1. If you like your nightlife you'll be out of luck, there will
probably be a couple of pubs and/or restaurents but that will be it.

2. The skiing is a little less convenient. Assuming you will be in
1350 (as opposed to the village with no lift access) You will require
fairly good snow conditions to ski to the resort and if you can there
are only a couple of alternative last runs.

Let the buyer beware, before booking your ski holiday make sure where
the accomodation is, (an alternative to a "back door resort" is a
chalet half a mile above the resort, great for ski in ski out but a
pain to tramp up to in the evening and often lug your luggage to on
arrival).

I hope you can sort something out but if not have a great time anyway.

Carl