Telemark anyone?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 23rd 11, 07:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
runcyclexcski

Default Telemark anyone?

I've been a groomed trail skier for quite a while, and started BC
skiing and mountaineering a few seasons back. I've considered myself a
good skier (on trails), but I feel somewhat incapacitated going
downhill in deep powder, with a backpack. A thin crust on top is even
worse - the one not strong enough to hold you (with a 60 lb backpack
especially). Basically, a snowplow and a hockey stop just don't work
in deep powder and in narrow spaces between trees and rocks.

What works then? Telemark? Do I need "heavy" free heel telemark boots
and super-fat shaped skis for telemarking? I've been BC skiing in
Salomon BC boots (essentially beefed up skating boots) and Fischer E99
skis. My mountaineering friends laugh at my gear (saying my skis are
too narrow and long, and the boots are too light), but I like these
boots and skis b/c they are lightweight, I don't get blisters, and I
get great kick and glide. But downhills remain difficult. Will I get
more control going downhill with a backpack if I get heavier duty free
heel boots and fatter skis, or can I somehow learn to Telemark (my
spell check suggests "telemarketing") with Salomon BCs and the E99
skis?