Pilot "Sport" Classic Binding?

Old May 5th 13, 08:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jon[_3_]

Default Pilot "Sport" Classic Binding?

I need bindings for new roller skis and am totally confused at what Salomon now offers for classic. The least expensive option is actually a "Sport" pilot binding that looks a lot like the skate binding (rigid piece that connects to second bar).

People have described a kevlar strap as part of the race classic pilot binding, but this version looks like it doesn't have that (so might actually be an improvement for roller-skiing). I have one pair pilot, one pair old-style profil classic boots--ideally I'd like to be able to use either, depending on how much ankle support I find I need.

Then there's the Propulse, which people say can only be used with newer pilot soled boots--though it's not clear why. Then there's old-style pilot (which, unfortunately, is actually out of stock from my discount source).

Any advice appreciated.

Jon
Old May 6th 13, 03:41 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Isn't the Propulse for skate? Which boots do you have? If the boots
fit, I think any classical binding can be used. What counts is the
flexor. Classical = 85(?) or may want to go one stiffer. I may still
have some around.

Gene

Old May 6th 13, 04:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Bob Schwartz[_2_]

Jon wrote:

[...]

The setback is different for the newer Pilot boots, and Propulse
bindings use a different flexor. You can get a Propulse flexor for
older boots. Unfortunate that they had to go that route though.

Bob
Old May 7th 13, 05:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Wow, since changing over to NNN, I'm really behind the times. There is
a Propulse classic and in two versions. It seems Salomon finally
decided that wider under foot gives more stability and perhaps push
off. Mark Wachter describes compatibility in part in his review of
the Propulse:
http://blog.ultratune.net/2010/03/ne...-bindings.html

Gene

Old May 8th 13, 06:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jon[_2_]

Thanks for the link.

I'm just not seeing anything that stands out to justify saying they're "a big improvement" over profil. A little wider, and bumper is less likely to pop out. That's it?

In any case, sounds like you need the RS17 sole for compatibility, which I don't have. Just not convinced classical skiing demands much in the way of technological improvement--if it's not broke...