French unveil new snow substitute in battle with declining snow levels:

Old February 20th 04, 01:36 PM
funkraum

Default French unveil new snow substitute in battle with declining snow levels:

--
French ski resort wants smokers to butt out.

194 words
A g e n c e F r a n c e P r e s s e

One of France's most popular ski resorts has launched a campaign
against cigarette butts, saying the hundreds of thousands of unsightly
stubs thrown each year in the snow pose a serious environmental
hazard.

Val Thorens - a popular destination in the Alps for British and Dutch
tourists in particular - said the campaign, started Sunday, was not an
anti-smoking initiative but rather an effort to reduce the number of
cigarette butts that blight the pristine mountainside.

Up to 30,000 butts are found under just one of the most heavily used
chairlifts, "enough to pollute 30,000 cubic metres (30,000 tonnes) of
water, or the volume of 500 private pools," said Johann Leiritz, an
official at the resort's tourist office.

To battle the habit, the office has built a glass box that will
display the thousands of cigarette butts picked up alongside an
exhibition showing the long-term environmental damage caused by
man-made trash.

Two thousand pocket containers designed to hold used cigarettes will
also be sold to skiers at the subsidised price of 1.50 euros (1.90
dollars).

--

So far they have used Gauloise but in an effort to replicate the
powder found in the Rockies they will be trying Winston Lights nexts

funk- "I think this calls for a cigarette...." - raum

Old February 20th 04, 04:22 PM
cupra

funkraum wrote:
--
French ski resort wants smokers to butt out.
=20
One of France's most popular ski resorts has launched a campaign
against cigarette butts, saying the hundreds of thousands of unsightly
stubs thrown each year in the snow pose a serious environmental
hazard.
=20
Val Thorens - a popular destination in the Alps for British and Dutch
tourists in particular - said the campaign, started Sunday, was not an
anti-smoking initiative but rather an effort to reduce the number of
cigarette butts that blight the pristine mountainside.
=20
snip

Good idea to stop the littering.... but how they can say ' pristine =
mountainside' when there is a bloody great lift above it is beyond me!!

--=20
cupra (remove nospam please to mail)

Old February 20th 04, 09:34 PM
Sue

In message , cupra
writes
funkraum wrote:
--
French ski resort wants smokers to butt out.

Good idea to stop the littering....

They're trying to get smokers to pick up after themselves?
Fat chance!

--
Sue ]|(
Old February 21st 04, 11:52 AM
Crosbie Fitch

Default Smoking is something to share on the same seat

I was sharing a 2-seater chair lift with a chappie in Lech (Arlberg), and he
starts to get his Rizlas out, etc.

Oh oh. Warning.

He's not going to light it though... is he?

I wait for the last minute. Yep. Out comes the zippo lighter.

"You're not smoking that now." I say in a firm, but pleasant 'or you'll be
getting off early' kind of way.

He looks back at me, catching my negative intonation and likely meaning, but
obviously not a fluent English speaker. A disdainful expression, and
slightly contemptuous shrug from him, and we return to our separate thoughts
for the rest of the journey...

.. . .

On the piste down, I get overtaken by a blind skier (with his guide).

Strange symbolism.

Old February 21st 04, 10:12 PM
Tommy Petersson

Good inititive, but they need a lot of Good Luck wishes...

Val Thorens and Avoriaz look ugly enough when the snow has melted away...
other ski resorts high up as well, of course...

/Tommy P.
Old February 22nd 04, 10:18 AM
Gav

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 11:52:32 +0000 (UTC), "Crosbie Fitch"
wrote:

I was sharing a 2-seater chair lift with a chappie in Lech (Arlberg), and he
starts to get his Rizlas out, etc.

Oh oh. Warning.

He's not going to light it though... is he?

I wait for the last minute. Yep. Out comes the zippo lighter.

"You're not smoking that now." I say in a firm, but pleasant 'or you'll be
getting off early' kind of way.

Who died and made you king of the chairlift?

He looks back at me, catching my negative intonation and likely meaning, but
obviously not a fluent English speaker. A disdainful expression, and
slightly contemptuous shrug from him, and we return to our separate thoughts
for the rest of the journey...

I commend him for showing restraint in the face of self-righteous
****tish behaviour.

I'm not a smoker but I have no problem with people lighting up on
chairlifts. It's outdoors so I don't get affected by the smoke and
the chairlift ride typically only lasts a few minutes anyway.

Gav
Old February 22nd 04, 10:26 AM
Simon Brown

"Gav" wrote in message

I'm not a smoker but I have no problem with people lighting up on
chairlifts. It's outdoors so I don't get affected by the smoke and
the chairlift ride typically only lasts a few minutes anyway.

Lovely clean pure Alpine air spoilt by a selfish bugger with no regard for
others? Death's too good for them.
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

Old February 23rd 04, 09:59 PM
Gav

Jim Hutton wrote in message . ..

wrote:

I was sharing a 2-seater chair lift with a chappie in Lech (Arlberg), and he
starts to get his Rizlas out, etc.

Oh oh. Warning.

He's not going to light it though... is he?

I wait for the last minute. Yep. Out comes the zippo lighter.

"You're not smoking that now." I say in a firm, but pleasant 'or you'll be
getting off early' kind of way.

Who died and made you king of the chairlift?

Who gave him the right to poison you ?

Please stop the amateur dramatics, I know this is usenet and all
but someone having a smoke on an openair, moving chairlift up a
mountain does not constitute 'poisoning' someone else. You get much
more 'poison' going into the air every time someone drives their car.

He looks back at me, catching my negative intonation and likely meaning, but
obviously not a fluent English speaker. A disdainful expression, and
slightly contemptuous shrug from him, and we return to our separate thoughts
for the rest of the journey...

I commend him for showing restraint in the face of self-righteous
****tish behaviour.

I'm not a smoker but I have no problem with people lighting up on
chairlifts. It's outdoors so I don't get affected by the smoke and
the chairlift ride typically only lasts a few minutes anyway.

Gav

In which case HE could have waited, and not imposed his poison on
fellow passengers.

Get a grip would you ... you sound like one of those anti smoking
fanatics. Maybe a reformed smoker? Always the most zealous.

Incidentally, do you feel the same in gondolas,
(which are typically non-smoking anyway) ? Even travelling in a
gondola which has been occupied earlier by smokers is disgusting.

I'm much less likely to be laid back about smoking in gondolas, for
what it's worth, given that the thread was about someone smoking on a
_chairlift_. But nice attempt at moving the goalposts.

Gav