HELP with my new FLOW-NXT bindings!!

Old December 8th 06, 11:51 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
sula70

Default HELP with my new FLOW-NXT bindings!!

Hello All

I need help setting up my new FLOW-NXT bindings...

I started out using K2-Cinch, and got pretty used to them. I've never
been totally happy with them - I felt like they pulled on my
feet/ankles in uncomfortable, painful ways, so I recently purchased the
new FLOW-NXT bindings.

On a recent snowboarding trip, I tried out my new bindings and had
major problems. I'm hoping it's just a problem with the set up of the
bindings, but I could really use some advice!

First of all, I have Solomon boots and a Burton Feather board. I had
the K2's set up at 15/-15. I tried this same configuration and now it
seems like I can't even get onto my toe-edge!!

I'm wondering if a change of boot is necessary, but I feel like I'm at
a total loss...so any suggestions are much appreciated!

Thanks!!

Old December 8th 06, 01:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
56fish

Make sure the boot is centered on the baseplate & the bindings are
centered edge-to-edge on the board. Performance should be at least as
good, if not better, than the Cinch.

Old December 8th 06, 02:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Nobody

On 8 Dec 2006 03:51:56 -0800, "sula70"
wrote:

First of all, I have Solomon boots and a Burton Feather board. I had
the K2's set up at 15/-15. I tried this same configuration and now it
seems like I can't even get onto my toe-edge!!

I have Salomon boots and the same binding, but not a Burton board.
Check the binding installation. To me it sounds like they are not
correctly positioned to center your weight edge-to-edge. Also make
sure the left binding is on the left side, etc.
Old December 8th 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Robert Stevahn

On 8 Dec 2006 05:35:15 -0800, "56fish"
wrote:

Performance should be at least as good, if not better, than the Cinch.

Much better. Those things are noodly junk.

-- Robert

Old December 9th 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
sula70

Thanks for all of your suggstions!! I'll try playing with the placement
of my bindings and see how it goes....

I don't want to have to go back to the Cinch binding!! ACK!!!

Thanks again!

Old December 10th 06, 09:48 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Richard Lumsden

I just got a pair of the NXT FR and love em, I had a pair of Pros but had
some issues with the back releasing in heavy snow but these NXT's really
lock in and once you get them set up to your preference enjoy. Later Richard

Old February 11th 07, 02:41 PM
speede541 speede541 is offline
Junior Member

Wow, not much love for the Cinch in this thread. What's up?

I relatively new to snowboarding (started last winter), and mid-season went the route of a conventional Burton for my front foot and a Cinch for my rear. Can't say I notice a difference in control of the board, and love the ease of getting in/out.

I haven't tried the Flow design, but have been led to believe that while more comfy, it's not as precise as a conventional binding (or Cinch, for that matter) -- especially for us bigger guys.

So clue me in: what's the gripe?

Oh, one Cinch negative for me: it's wearing the crap out of my boot at the toe!
Old February 11th 07, 05:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
lonerider

On Feb 11, 6:41 am, speede541 wrote:
Wow, not much love for the Cinch in this thread. What's up?

I relatively new to snowboarding (started last winter), and mid-season
went the route of a conventional Burton for my front foot and a Cinch
for my rear. Can't say I notice a difference in control of the board,
and love the ease of getting in/out.

I haven't tried the Flow design, but have been led to believe that
while more comfy, it's not as precise as a conventional binding (or
Cinch, for that matter) -- especially for us bigger guys.

So clue me in: what's the gripe?

Hi Speed, my friend has a Cinch (he used to have FLOWs). From my point
of view, the Cinch idea is not bad, but the Cinch designs from last
season were just not that well made, in particular the materials for
the baseplate and highback were all really low-grade and flimsy (I
could twist the baseplate/highback with one hand). For instance, the
toestrap pad on my friend's Cinch is always coming off after only
about 20-30 days of riding and I think the highback catches on his
boot heel a bit. Since you are new to snowboarding, you probably
wouldn't have noticed it as much. I did notice that this year's stuff
is better (cheap and better materials) so I think the cost of making
the Cinch system took a lot of money in the first year models and so
they skimped on the construction. Now that they are making more of the
bindings they can afford to improve materials as they can more easily
amortize the research costs with economies of scale.

As for FLOWS and Cinch, from my friend's comments FLOWS/Cinch can be
very precise if they are well micro adjusted for your boot (like an
hour over the first day or two). Oh course, there are FLOW/Cinch
zealosts, and FLOW/Cinch haters, so it's difficult to get a straight
answer out of anyone and I personally have not tried the bindings yet
myself (there are a few more strap bindings I would like to try before
I move onto the hybrid step-ins hopefully by then the Cinch will be
really solid - as like what I'm told the FLOWs are now compared to the
flimsy ones I tried in the late 90's).

Old February 12th 07, 07:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Jeremy

speede541 wrote:

I relatively new to snowboarding (started last winter), and mid-season
went the route of a conventional Burton for my front foot and a Cinch
for my rear. Can't say I notice a difference in control of the board,
and love the ease of getting in/out.

I haven't tried the Flow design, but have been led to believe that
while more comfy, it's not as precise as a conventional binding (or
Cinch, for that matter) -- especially for us bigger guys.

So clue me in: what's the gripe?

Compared to any strap binding I've ridden, the Flow bindings don't respond
as well to brute force. Pushing fast and hard on the toeside can lead to
heal lift. Relatively minor heelside falls can open the highback, creating
interesting circumstances if not noticed. The newer designs definitely
do better in this regard.

They don't appear to suffer when finessed.

Oh, one Cinch negative for me: it's wearing the crap out of my boot at
the toe!

I get this a little bit (with Flow CFRs), and much more at the heel. A little
shoe goo strategically applied worked well.

Jeremy
Old February 20th 07, 06:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
jayc

Compared to any strap binding I've ridden, theFlowbindingsdon't respond
as well to brute force. Pushing fast and hard on the toeside can lead to
heal lift. Relatively minor heelside falls can open the highback, creating
interesting circumstances if not noticed. The newer designs definitely
do better in this regard.

I just tried out Flow bindings for the first time yesterday - I hated
them. I found them to be unresponsive and sloppy. Tightening the
ankle adjuster only one to click firm up the interface made it near
impossible to get my boot into the binding. After 3 runs I gave up on
them - they're going back to the shop.

I bought them specifically because I thought that they would be
comfortable (due to the large strap spreading pressure) and that
they'd be easy to mount and unmount. They were comfortable, but
offered insufficient pressure for decent board response, and were
anything BUT easy to put on.

JayC

Boots for Flow bindings? corbeau Snowboarding 0 February 4th 04 02:41 AM
flow bindings jakob Snowboarding 1 January 15th 04 04:24 AM
Flow Bindings this year? Tavish Muldoon Snowboarding 4 December 2nd 03 03:20 AM
Flow Bindings - Mounting discs mr E Snowboarding 0 November 23rd 03 05:08 AM
Flow Bindings mr E Snowboarding 1 November 15th 03 07:32 AM