JayT's Big Saturday Workout RACE 1-31-04

Old February 3rd 04, 05:45 PM
Sly D. Skeez

Default JayT's Big Saturday Workout RACE 1-31-04

jim farrell wrote in message ...
Anyway, I also _don't_ think you can do a warm
scrape with some warm wax, put on 2 layers of cold wax, and expect to
have a cold wax job. I think it takes more layers of cold wax.

Jay Wenner

I also rely on the soft copper brush for most of my brushing. I put
only one layer of Start Green over FW red. I did do more of a
saturation: letting the skis cool three times before ironing in again.
Don't know what I missed in skipping the scraping and brushing. Does
the hard wax scraping take some of the softer wax out? Perhaps I ended
up with a mixture that wore out by the time I hit the lakes.

My gut feeling is that re-ironing a layer of wax doesn't do much good,
unless you're trying to saturate a new grind or new pair of skis. When
you scrape and brush off the wax, you're taking with it (in this case)
the contaminating FW red.

Let's say the ski is 100% FW red and that the first layer of Start
Green produces a wax in the ski and a few microns above the ski that
is now 70% Start Green and 30% FW red. The next layer would then make
the ski something like 90% Start Green and 10% FW red. A third layer
would make it about 97% Start Green and so on.

Of course the wax _in_ the ski is more FW red and the wax just a few
microns on the surface is more Start Green, but you get the idea. This
is why using a soft base prep wax to clean the ski is a misguided
recommendation, well....unless you are planning to put in lots of hard
wax layers to get the hard wax concentration back up there.

I think it's much easier to replace hard wax with soft wax, but very
hard to replace soft wax with hard wax. Hence, therefore, and
here-to-fore, the recommendation for a dedicated pair of cold skis.

Jay (here-to-five) Wenner
Old February 5th 04, 02:40 PM
Jon

If you think the skis are good and you
want them to be fast in future cold weather do this:

Get Zach to grind with an LJ02 or similar cold grind.
Wax a lot with cold weather waxes.
Use copper brush and omni prep between waxings.
After final race wax brush a lot with horsehair and nylon. Buff with
some old pantyhose.
Have fast skis.

Rob Bradlee
Toko Tech Team

Rob:

Why the pantyhose? Do you ever use the Omni-Prep for the final buff
(seems to work well to polish non-flat parts of the base, where it's
hard to brush out last little bits of surface wax).

thanks

Jon
Old February 5th 04, 06:17 PM
Rob Bradlee

Why the pantyhose? Do you ever use the Omni-Prep for the final buff

For the silky feel and the way they make you look good in heels! But
seriously, they are lint free (all polyester) and seem to be good at
cleaning the base off. Omni Prep probably a good alternative.

(seems to work well to polish non-flat parts of the base, where it's
hard to brush out last little bits of surface wax).

Non-flat? Time to send those skis to Zach!

Rob