Christmas in Italy

Old October 18th 04, 12:30 PM
Switters

Default Christmas in Italy

I was wondering about doing Italy for xmas and New Year, even though it's
getting on a bit. Like the sound of Madonna di Campaglio, although the
elevation seems low for early season. Any previous experiences of the
place. Would Cervinia be better with the higher base? Also, what's the
crowd situation? Are both flooded with masses of locals and tourists, or
is it not too bad? TIA.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

Old October 18th 04, 06:47 PM
Rod Jenkins

Switters" wrote in message
I was wondering about doing Italy for xmas and New Year, even though it's
getting on a bit. Like the sound of Madonna di Campaglio, although the
elevation seems low for early season. Any previous experiences of the
place. Would Cervinia be better with the higher base? Also, what's the
crowd situation? Are both flooded with masses of locals and tourists, or
is it not too bad? TIA.

- Dave.

Hi,

We did Madonna early last March. Madonna itself was pretty quiet, much more
crowded in the Marilleva and Folgarida areas. Piste grooming is immaculate,
I was going out of my way to try and find some bumps. Depending on your
skill level, you may find it restrictive. It was the first resort I've been
to where I have skied every run I could find on the map. We had good snow
conditions-It had snowed the whole previous week and we had wall to wall
sunshine, although cold. The top goes to 2500m at Groste which has some
nice blue and red cruises. The links across the village are brilliant, you
can get from anywhere to anywhere on skis. As for crowds: I got the
impression that the locals go to Madonna to hang around in a chic resort
rather than ski, so it may be a good choice for New Year.

Rod

Old October 19th 04, 07:58 AM
Switters

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 18:47:02 GMT, "Rod Jenkins"
allegedly wrote:

Depending on your skill level, you may find it restrictive.

I'm beginning to worry about that. I think I might get bored, unless it
dumps down and I get powder every day.

As for crowds: I got the impression that the locals go to Madonna to
hang around in a chic resort rather than ski, so it may be a good
choice for New Year.

Ideal . Thanks Rod.

Old October 25th 04, 06:34 AM
Martino

Madonna is a two built for skiers; it has no history no traditions, etc.
Christmas and New Year in Italy might be great but I would do it in a town
with some locals, old architecture, shops with owners remembering WWI, ..,
and, of course, good conditions for skiing.

Going to Madonna is like going to almost any US ski resorts: almost nothing
but skiing (this is not to start a new topic) - I much rather prefer the
eastern Dolomites (on the other side of A22).

Martino.

Old November 5th 04, 04:26 PM
Rob

My mates went and came back with a similar story re nighlife and
limited skiing. Also, the eastern dolomites tend to be less
predicatble with regards snow, so that time of year could be a bit
dodgy. Personally i'd recommend Selva (but caveat about snow
conditions applies)

Bah Humbug
Scrooge

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 23:34:54 -0700, "Martino"
wrote:

Madonna is a two built for skiers; it has no history no traditions, etc.
Christmas and New Year in Italy might be great but I would do it in a town
with some locals, old architecture, shops with owners remembering WWI, ..,
and, of course, good conditions for skiing.

Going to Madonna is like going to almost any US ski resorts: almost nothing
but skiing (this is not to start a new topic) - I much rather prefer the
eastern Dolomites (on the other side of A22).

Martino.

.. .