Finally tested my new Jesenik classic rollerskis ($100)

Old June 8th 04, 02:50 AM
Jeff Potter

Default Finally tested my new Jesenik classic rollerskis ($100)

They came with a great finish and polish from the manufacturer. A very
nice feel to the paint job---waxed maybe. Great "new car smell"! (I
don't often buy new stuff.)

So I mounted them up about an inch back of balance---with heel of size
10 boot right near mudguard. Not much wiggle room! Size 13 foot might
give you a tailheavy ski.

I tested them out and found them quite nice. They made interesting
sounds. I suspect the shaft is hollow facing the wheels and do a little
resonance. The wheels seem quite hard---giving a fairly rough ride for
our old much-smoothed chipseal local road, but smooth on regular smooth
asphalt. They'd be unusable on true chipseal. The balance on the 35mm
wheels seemed a bit tricky. But I haven't RSed in awhile. Shaft is about
2" wide by 1" thick. Riding a flat ski feels like putting all my weight
over outside of foot. I gotta work on this.

I like to really kick out and ride hip-high so right away I'm finding my
front wheel flying outward on these short skis. This will be fun. I
figure 10 outings and I'll smooth right out.

I confess I love striding even tho they say you shouldn't on RS's.

Hey, I'm out kickin and glidin for $100. I see he has a set of skaters
for $60 which he said were his most popular. I'll report again after the
10 tries.

--

Jeff Potter
****

Old June 8th 04, 03:01 AM
Diva

Jeff, can you explain this please? " I confess I love striding even tho =
they say you shouldn't on RS's"

What do you mean "striding" and why shouldn't you on roller skis?

June

"Jeff Potter" wrote in message =
They came with a great finish and polish from the manufacturer. A very
nice feel to the paint job---waxed maybe. Great "new car smell"! (I
don't often buy new stuff.)
=20

Old June 8th 04, 12:42 PM
Jeff Potter

Diva wrote:

Jeff, can you explain this please? " I confess I love striding even tho they say you shouldn't on RS's"

What do you mean "striding" and why shouldn't you on roller skis?

I mean classic striding, diagonal skiing, not doublepoling or kick-doublepoling. I mean SP, not DP or KDP.
Single poling.

They say that classic, ratcheted rollerskis give too much kick and lead to bad technique in SP, namely a late
kick. I haven't really heard a single expert NOT say it. I'm sad. But I think I can resist the bad technique. I
just pretend I'm skiing and kick where I always kick. But people tend to shift more to enjoying and optimizing
their rollerskiing rather than imitating skiing on rollerskis.

It's like sometimes I go out on my racing inline skates with poles and try to just fly along---pretty soon I'm
not doing anything like regular snow skiing but I'm sure having fun and going fast. This is considered bad. As
Coach Pete says, every time we go out skiing or even training we're teaching ourselves to ski. I wonder if it's
even more technical than golf, say. I bet golfers wouldn't go out and let themselves hit all wrong a couple
times a week just because they weren't in an official event or something. They probably try to always swing
right so that they CAN swing right.

--

Jeff Potter
****

Old June 8th 04, 08:06 PM
J999w

So ... no striding, no inline skating ... i.e. if you're having fun ... don't
do it.

Bah!

If it gets you out the door, go for it.

Anyone beach skiing as these days are getting hotter? 87F here today.

John Wilke (jw)
Milwaukee
Old June 9th 04, 05:38 PM
Ken Roberts

... no striding, no inline skating ... i.e.
if you're having fun ... don't do it.

Sounds like the correct advice for National team racers, or for those
aspiring to a major-event age-group podium finishes.

Which makes me very glad that I am _not_ trying for that level.

I want the fun and the adventure that requires "incorrect" equipment and
"wrong" technique.

Like yesterday after 65km I was skating down Broadway in rush hour traffic,
on the island at the center of the world. I stopped at a corner, and a guy
walked over to me and said, "You look like an interesting person".

Ken

Old June 9th 04, 05:48 PM
Jim Farrell

Sly D. Skeez wrote:

Anyone beach skiing as these days are getting hotter? 87F here today.

95 F in MPLS amigo.

Jay Wenner (JW)

that was monday! 56F in mpls today.

Old June 9th 04, 08:32 PM
Mark

Snowed about a half an inch here this morning. It's warmed up to a
balmy 43 degrees this afternoon.

Mark

Old June 10th 04, 05:08 PM
Jeff Potter

Ha! Good story. Yeah, having a good time doing healthy nonexploitive stuff is
where it's at.

--

Jeff Potter
****