Which ski?

Old November 30th 04, 05:47 PM
David Cohen

Default Which ski?

Here is the scenario:

- learned skiing after 40 years old.
- not an agressive skier
- skier weighs 270 pounds

I know that skill level is important when defining which kind of skis
to use. But, do weight also affect it? Is there a preferred type of
ski when you are overweight?

thanks for your advice
Old November 30th 04, 06:34 PM
Walt

David Cohen wrote:

Here is the scenario:

- learned skiing after 40 years old.
- not an agressive skier
- skier weighs 270 pounds

I know that skill level is important when defining which kind of skis
to use. But, do weight also affect it? Is there a preferred type of
ski when you are overweight?

Yeah, weight is a factor. A heavy guy will need a stiffer ski, so
don't bother looking at beginner/forgiving models. It doesn't mean you
need to go out and buy a full on race ski, but you do need a beefier
ski. Longer too.

Other than that, the type of ski will depend on the type of skiing.
Powder or groomers? Short turns or speed? East Coast or West?
On-piste or off?

And one more thing - you're probably looking at top-end bindings to
handle that much mass.

--
//-Walt
//
Old December 2nd 04, 01:47 PM
Daluan

thanks Walt,
I'll follow your advice.

I am skiing during Christmas / New Year in Killington (VT).
Nice green and blue groomed trails (this is what happens when you learn
skiing on your 40s).

David

Old December 2nd 04, 02:19 PM
Mary Malmros

Daluan wrote:

thanks Walt,
I'll follow your advice.

I am skiing during Christmas / New Year in Killington (VT).
Nice green and blue groomed trails (this is what happens when you learn
skiing on your 40s).

David, if your week in Killington represents most of your skiing for the
year, I'd rent rather than buy. In fact, if you're just investigating
which ski to buy, it's a good opportunity to try several. Consider that
you're at the part of the learning curve where you might outgrow a ski
pretty quickly, you could pick one ski at the beginning of your vacation
and find it very comfortable, and then want something different by the
end of your vacation.

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old December 2nd 04, 02:30 PM
VtSkier

Walt wrote:

David Cohen wrote:

[...]

Walt is a cool guy but he forgets things sometimes.
You asked what skis for blue groomers at Killington over Christmas/New
Years period. I offer the following additional advice...

1. Ski Pico if it's open (it's part of Killington). It will be FAR less
crowded than Killington proper, the pass you buy for Killington will
work at both places.

2. If you don't own your own boots, I suggest that you buy them,
especially with your size, your weight will put pretty good stresses on
your feet and legs. Get the boots fitted properly and be sure to include
custom footbeds.

3. Unless you are going to ski a lot this winter, don't bother to buy
skis. Rent maybe off mountain (just off mountain in the town were the
ski are is) and go for something in the demo rack. I suggest a mid-level
all-mountain free ski (mid-fat (no personal slur intended)). Perhaps a
Salomon Scream 9 or equal. Conditions may dictate a choice. If the
surfaces are bullet-proof, go for the stiffer ski with more side cut, if
soft, softer ski, less side cut.

4. Get to the area early, ski as long as you are comfortable and don't
feel the need to make the last run of the day.

I'm a Killington Ambassador and I've taken people off at the end of day
that shouldn't have made that last trip and are just too tired to make
it over those bumps in flat light.

Killington is not known for its blue cruisers. It's got great easier and
expert terrain but is low on blue stuff and even the few blues get black
by the end of the day. If you are going to be there on Christmas day, go
ahead and ski Killington. Take the Meet-the-Mountains tour run by the
Ambassadors (maybe me that day). C-day will be light traffic-wise with
the mobs coming the day after, when it may be a good idea to move to Pico.

VtSkier
at the price I paid for
my Volkl 6stars, I maintain
that there IS a Volkl
conspiracy

Old December 2nd 04, 02:42 PM
Mary Malmros

VtSkier wrote:

I'm a Killington Ambassador and I've taken people off at the end of day
that shouldn't have made that last trip and are just too tired to make
it over those bumps in flat light.

I didn't know Ambassadors pulled sleds.

Old December 2nd 04, 03:13 PM
VtSkier

Mary Malmros wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

I'm a Killington Ambassador and I've taken people off at the end of
day that shouldn't have made that last trip and are just too tired to
make it over those bumps in flat light.

I didn't know Ambassadors pulled sleds.

We don't. We nursemaid down (a lot) call for transport if that's
appropriate. See you on the hill?

Old December 2nd 04, 03:23 PM
Walt

VtSkier wrote:

Walt is a cool guy but he forgets things sometimes.
You asked what skis for blue groomers at Killington over Christmas/New
Years period.

True enough. I'm especially forgetful about questions that haven't been
asked yet about places that I've never been to.

VtSkier is a cool guy, but sometimes he gets confused when people
top-post. Good advice, nonetheless.

VtSkier
at the price I paid for
my Volkl 6stars, I maintain
that there IS a Volkl
conspiracy

Well, conspiracy members would probably get a discount. If there was a
conspiracy, that is.

--
//-Walt
//