Addicted to certain runs?

Old September 1st 14, 06:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dick G[_4_]

Default Addicted to certain runs?

Good day everyone, just back from the southern hemisphere and ready
for a solid season hopefully to start soon. On the last run I had this
season, I started to contemplate why I get so addicted to certain
runs, and hit them 7-10 X, before trying a previously untried run.
Time to throw darts at the map again and force myself to try and hit
every run
Old September 1st 14, 07:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

Sometimes you just get that run at the right time. I've done laps on High Rustler when it's deep and not getting skied. 4-5 feet of untracked over ginormous bumps with no one else skiing it? How could I resist?

Old September 1st 14, 07:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Monday, September 1, 2014 2:27:58 PM UTC-5, pigo wrote:

Sometimes you just get that run at the right time. I've done laps on High
Rustler when it's deep and not getting skied. 4-5 feet of untracked over
ginormous bumps with no one else skiing it? How could I resist?

At Heavenly, on a snow day, Ellie's and to skiier's left in the trees and also underneath the Sky Express lift. Nothing but solitude, silence, and freshies. I did that for most of a day the last time I was through South Lake.

How could ANYBODY resist?
Old September 1st 14, 11:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Mon, 01 Sep 2014 14:30:18 -0400, Dick G wrote
this crap:

Good day everyone, just back from the southern hemisphere and ready
for a solid season hopefully to start soon. On the last run I had this
season, I started to contemplate why I get so addicted to certain
runs, and hit them 7-10 X, before trying a previously untried run.
Time to throw darts at the map again and force myself to try and hit
every run

I could never see hitting every run. I avoid the green runs and most
of the blue runs are too easy. I like to find a black run that I like
and ski it multiple times. This isn't golf where you have to play
every hole.

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe
Old September 2nd 14, 12:29 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Monday, September 1, 2014 6:32:54 PM UTC-5, wrote:

I could never see hitting every run. I avoid the green runs and most
of the blue runs are too easy. I like to find a black run that I like
and ski it multiple times. This isn't golf where you have to play
every hole.

This year I may finally have enough spare money to drive to Taos for a few days.

Tell you what, Horvie, maybe we can meet there at Taos in front of the "Don't Panic!" sign at the base of the main lift some morning. I'll try to get snow tires on one of the Porsches (if I can get one of them 900-mile road-trip worthy) and maybe we can try an old-school mini-invasion.

You'd either need to drive, or else fly into ABQ and drive and rent a Hyundai or Yugo, because the Taos airport improvements won't be done until well after next winter.

I only drive to ski nowadays, because TSA won't let me on the airplane with my two metal hips and my intolerance of made-up security drama.

Don't plan or decide yet. It's still months away before we see if Taos (AKA Zzzz) will have a decent snow year. I'm thinking maybe January but there's a chance I'll get elected and that may change things for me.

But an early blizzard in November that puts down 5 feet of new? It'll open up at least some of the good terrain.

Just bring your wolf's bane and your mithril shirt, because they started letting snowboarders on the hill. And leave your perceptions of what "green" and "blue" trails mean at the Colorado border. Everything is different at Zzzz.

Latest game-changer? Zzzz has plans and financing to a lift to the top of Wheeler Peak, maybe for the 2015-16 season. But the same as with sailing, you can still hike for your turns if you want to.

Oh yeah -- base is 9700 feet, so if you stay at the hill (kinda expensive but worth every penny), be warned. You might even bring an oxygen bottle for your date.
Old September 2nd 14, 01:55 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Monday, September 1, 2014 7:57:15 PM UTC-5, twobuddha wrote:

[snip]

Scott, if this mini-invasion happens, you'll have plenty of time to plan, because everybody will know when we are going and where we are staying.

And here's what you can do:

Hop on your had motor scooter, take I-5 south to I-15, then take I-15 to I-40, and I-40 to Albuquerque.

Then take that magical Bugs Bunny left turn at Albuquerque to Taos.

Well, it's a little more complicated than just that, and I will leave it to you to manage your own itinerary. The (much) shorter road uses some older US highways through northern California and Utah, and gets to New Mexico near Farmington via what used to be US highway 666. But these roads might be occasionally icy, and I would not want you to slide your Kakasaki off into a ditch somewhere between Shasta CA and Reno NV. It might rip the seat cover.

Still, if you had a decent touring car -- even some long-legged econo-box like an Escort GT -- the shortest road is a hell of a drive through some beautiful country.

You could also pick up a decent Porsche 928 for under $10,000, and a faux full-length mink coat at the nearest pawnshop for under $500, and be all set to sell hot dogs on the deck at Zzzz. We're talking about being the major daddy passion at the hill -- the hot dog man! Know what I mean?
Old September 2nd 14, 03:11 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Dick G wrote:
Good day everyone, just back from the southern hemisphere and ready
for a solid season hopefully to start soon. On the last run I had this
season, I started to contemplate why I get so addicted to certain
runs, and hit them 7-10 X, before trying a previously untried run.
Time to throw darts at the map again and force myself to try and hit
every run

Where did you ski in the Antipodean Lands?
Old September 2nd 14, 01:41 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Mon, 1 Sep 2014 17:29:08 -0700 (PDT), wrote
this crap:

[...]

That's not a bad idea. My sweetie just bought a brand new Jeep
yesterday and we were talking about going on a trip. But that's too
far to drive. We were talking about flying to Vegas and maybe we
could make a side trip to zzzz. I recently bought a hard case for my
banjo and I could take it as checked luggage.

Old September 2nd 14, 02:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Tuesday, September 2, 2014 7:41:17 AM UTC-6, wrote:

****! From Vegas you're only 5 hours from SLC. Let's make Jim make the long drive! :-)
We'll be damn sure trunky won't show, we'll tell it where we are! LOL!

I don't know what its standard number is these days, 20? As in "meets", and "goodies", and stuff. Or is it just "scores" again? But none of us has _ever_ claimed "anytime, anywhere". Imagine it's joy if it thought it could find 3 of us in one place. It's getting kind of old though, how many times have I let it know where I am (besides knowing where I live)? I mean if I wanted to I'm sure that within one day I could "accidentally" run into it.

So, NEVERMIND :-)