Kristina Smigun is Ridiculous!

Old November 29th 03, 11:20 AM
shreddir

Default Kristina Smigun is Ridiculous!

Man...! Who can beat this girl? I just watched the duathalon from Kuusamo
where she just left everybody in the dust on the skate portion. Evi
Sachenbacher, Gabriella Paruzzi, Claudia Kinzel, some Russian girl, the
Ukrainian Schercenko, Hilde Pederson.... they all got dropped like so much
excess baggage. She wasn't even breathing that hard when she crossed the
finish line. Yeah, yeah, I know Skofteruud beat her yesterday in the
classic race, but considering she still got 2nd and so totally dominated
today's this morning's race while Vilbeke was struggling back in the second
finishing group, you can clearly see how she is the complete athlete in both
techniques.

Old November 29th 03, 05:53 PM
Terje Mathisen

shreddir wrote:

Man...! Who can beat this girl? I just watched the duathalon from Kuusamo
where she just left everybody in the dust on the skate portion. Evi
Sachenbacher, Gabriella Paruzzi, Claudia Kinzel, some Russian girl, the
Ukrainian Schercenko, Hilde Pederson.... they all got dropped like so much
excess baggage. She wasn't even breathing that hard when she crossed the
finish line. Yeah, yeah, I know Skofteruud beat her yesterday in the
classic race, but considering she still got 2nd and so totally dominated
today's this morning's race while Vilbeke was struggling back in the second
finishing group, you can clearly see how she is the complete athlete in both
techniques.

We just watched Vibeke on NRK news, she managed to first break a pole
after about 100m, which put her way at the end of the field, then she
lost her ski at the beginning of the second half due to snow under the
boot during the ski change.

Not a good day for her. :-(

OTOH, I do agree that Smigun is the one to beat this season.

Terje

--
-

Old November 30th 03, 04:01 PM
Jay Tegeder

"shreddir" wrote in message news:8a0yb.252078$9E1.1351942@attbi_s52...
Man...! Who can beat this girl?

"A" sample positve, "B" sample negative...

Jay Tegeder
"Keep training, lycra never lies!" JT
Old December 2nd 03, 08:57 AM
Anders Lustig

Terje Mathisen wrote in message ...

We just watched Vibeke on NRK news, she managed to first break a pole
after about 100m, which put her way at the end of the field, then she
lost her ski at the beginning of the second half due to snow under the
boot during the ski change.

Yes, I did see someone in a red suit chase one of her skis:-)

But what we didnīt see during the menīs pursuit race wouldīve
been pure comedy: Hiroyuki Imai arrives to his ski change slot
only to find an alien pair of classic gear there! "Am I in the
right slot? This is 38 and my number is 38! or was it? Etc etc"

After some panicky and frantic search for his own skate gear
Imai continues the race with his classic gear and a "pit time"
of 1:48 only to DNF a little later.

It turned out that Martin Bajcicak, #38, had made a small but
crucial mistake and taken off with Imaiīs skis. He was DQd for
this offense.

(Iīd imagine a Slovakian skier to be somewhat taller than a
Japanese, so Majcicak ought to have wondered about the length
of "his" poles even if both skiers had skis of same brand,
model, colour etc...)

Anders
Old December 2nd 03, 12:20 PM
Terje Mathisen

Anders Lustig wrote:
But what we didnīt see during the menīs pursuit race wouldīve
been pure comedy: Hiroyuki Imai arrives to his ski change slot

Pure tragedy for the person involved.

This is _very_ similar to the feeling you get when trying to hand over
the next leg's map to your teammate on a big orienteering relay (like
Tiomila or Jukola), only to find that someone else have grabbed the
wrong one.

only to find an alien pair of classic gear there! "Am I in the
right slot? This is 38 and my number is 38! or was it? Etc etc"

It turned out that Martin Bajcicak, #38, had made a small but
crucial mistake and taken off with Imaiīs skis. He was DQd for
this offense.

OK, assuming MB didn't get DQ'ed for taking his own skis, I presume he
didn't really have #38?

How about #83, viewed upside down on his starting bib?

Terje

--
-

Old December 3rd 03, 07:36 AM
Anders Lustig

Terje Mathisen wrote in message ...

only to find an alien pair of classic gear there! "Am I in the
right slot? This is 38 and my number is 38! or was it? Etc etc"
It turned out that Martin Bajcicak, #38, had made a small but
crucial mistake and taken off with Imaiīs skis. He was DQd for
this offense.

OK, assuming MB didn't get DQ'ed for taking his own skis, I presume he
didn't really have #38?

It was kind of fitting to hit the adjacent key just there,
isnīt it? And it probably was an apt punishment for my lack
of empathy:-)

Bajcicak wore bib number 37; the even numbered ski change
slots run in one file and the uneven in another, like this:

30 32 34 36 38 40 42 44 46
29 31 33 35 37 39 41 43 45

so he got the file wrong. IMHO this is the kind of error
that is bound to happen every once in a while, just like
orienteers picking up the wrong map or biathletes shooting
at the wrong target.

BTW Bajcicak doesnīt appear to have fared too bad with
Imaiīs skis: he finished 19th. His DQ meant that the best
Finn climbed up one position, giving Sami Repo one (1)
World Cup point.

*This* was pure comedy...

Anders