Helmets!

Old January 8th 05, 05:28 PM
John Ricketts

Default Helmets!

I aready sent this but it seems to have got lost in the ether....(so sorry
if you got it twice!)

Taking girls with us to Cham this year....what's the legal position
regarding ski helmets for 12 year olds? France/Italy and Switzerland?

Thanks,

John

Old January 8th 05, 05:40 PM
PG

"John Ricketts" wrote in message
|I aready sent this but it seems to have got lost in the ether....(so
sorry
| if you got it twice!)
|
| Taking girls with us to Cham this year....what's the legal position
| regarding ski helmets for 12 year olds? France/Italy and Switzerland?

Does it matter? Just avoid the hassle of arguing with them and tell'em
it's illegal not to wear them My 12 year old daughter
(http://tinyurl.com/4nnqt) wouldn't go on the piste without one. And
these days it's seen to be pretty cool to have one, fortunately.

It's not compulsory in France, although you see signs telling people
they should have one as part of this year's safety campaign. Some ski
schools refuse to take kids without them (small independents mainly),
and as far as I know the ESF hasn't changed their position from it being
"highly advisable".

Pete - SNOWeSCAPE
http://bsm.alpesprovence.net

Old January 8th 05, 08:08 PM
Alun Jenkins

It's not compulsory in France, although you see signs telling people
they should have one as part of this year's safety campaign. Some ski
schools refuse to take kids without them (small independents mainly),
and as far as I know the ESF hasn't changed their position from it being
"highly advisable".

Also if you use the carte neige insurance it will be void with no helmet
this year.

Old January 9th 05, 06:15 PM
PG

"Alun Jenkins" wrote in message

| It's not compulsory in France, although you see signs telling people
| they should have one as part of this year's safety campaign. Some
ski
| schools refuse to take kids without them (small independents
mainly),
| and as far as I know the ESF hasn't changed their position from it
being
| "highly advisable".
|
| Also if you use the carte neige insurance it will be void with no
helmet
| this year.

Where did you see this information? I've had an annual carte neige for
years, and that's the first I've head of such a clause.

Pete

www.skiclublesarcs.com

Old January 9th 05, 07:33 PM
Alun Jenkins

Where did you see this information? I've had an annual carte neige for
years, and that's the first I've head of such a clause.

Pete

www.skiclublesarcs.com

Hi Pete
all around the cham area are blue cn posters (with the dog !)
The wording reads "without your helment you are not insured"
Mind you my poor french translation could be to blame. Our ESF
instructor also said she had had to cancel some coures as the kids
couldnt get helmets as the hire place had run out. One way or the other
loath em or love em youre going to need lids for the kids ..

Old January 10th 05, 07:48 AM
Ace

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 20:33:28 +0000, Alun Jenkins
wrote:

Where did you see this information? I've had an annual carte neige for
years, and that's the first I've head of such a clause.

Pete

www.skiclublesarcs.com

Hi Pete
all around the cham area are blue cn posters (with the dog !)
The wording reads "without your helment you are not insured"
Mind you my poor french translation could be to blame.

Possibly. Bear in mind that many terms for insurance also mean
protection. But you could be right, for all I know.

Our ESF
instructor also said she had had to cancel some coures as the kids
couldnt get helmets as the hire place had run out.

Ski scholls often have their own rules about this and will insist on
kids having lids, but this is not indicative of either insurance or
legal requirements.

One way or the other
loath em or love em youre going to need lids for the kids ..

Poor kids.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old January 8th 05, 08:45 PM
John Ricketts

Nice picture!....granted, I wouldn't contemplate racing without one, but
isn't this just the nanny state philosophy kicking in yet again? I reckon
its less about protecting the individual than about minimising the risk of
litigation!

Before long you'll have to wear a space suit to walk to the shops in case
you trip over the pavement!

But that said, I guess you're right and I'll just have to bite the bullet
and fork out (yet another!) 60 quid for two helmets.... :-(

Old January 9th 05, 11:52 AM
Joe Roach

snip

But that said, I guess you're right and I'll just have to bite the bullet
and fork out (yet another!) 60 quid for two helmets.... :-(

Helmets are compulsory for under 14 year olds in Italy (how it is enforced
is another matter). That said, my teenage boys won't ski without helmets
irrespective of legal/insurance requirements and are now in adult sizes at
£60 each rather than a pair! It's money well spent (IMHO).

Joe.

Old January 10th 05, 11:46 AM
Switters

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 21:45:17 GMT, "John Ricketts"
allegedly wrote:

Nice picture!....granted, I wouldn't contemplate racing without one,
but isn't this just the nanny state philosophy kicking in yet again? I
reckon its less about protecting the individual than about minimising
the risk of litigation!

It's interesting that in the more litigious USA, helmets are not
compulsory but are certainly more common. The ski areas haven't mandated
their use out of fear of being sued, yet the majority appears to wear
them.
Old January 10th 05, 12:32 PM
Champ

allegedly wrote:

Nice picture!....granted, I wouldn't contemplate racing without one,
but isn't this just the nanny state philosophy kicking in yet again? I
reckon its less about protecting the individual than about minimising
the risk of litigation!

It's interesting that in the more litigious USA, helmets are not
compulsory but are certainly more common. The ski areas haven't mandated
their use out of fear of being sued, yet the majority appears to wear
them.

That's cos yanks are weenies :-)

Waiting in the queue for lift 10 at Kirkwood to open a few days ago,
there were about 50~60 diehards - all up early, and prepared to queue
to get first tracks (on a run that hadn't been open for 36 hours, with
lots of fresh). Me and Iain, both British, didn't have helmets. Of
the rest (all American, as far as I could tell), around 90% wore
helmets. Maybe those guys *really* rip, but I couldn't see their
justification, myself.
--
Champ

Helmets Scott Elliot Nordic Skiing 2 September 21st 04 11:08 PM
Helmets - any available with soft padding? Henry Snowboarding 8 February 26th 04 12:54 PM
Helmets Steve Haigh European Ski Resorts 50 February 5th 04 04:46 PM
Giro Nine helmets in stock at $79.95 [email protected] Marketplace 0 December 17th 03 11:41 AM
Helmets - thermal protection Ian Turek Snowboarding 4 November 13th 03 06:35 PM