Hardboot and Carving board questions(long-ish)

Old March 22nd 04, 05:13 PM
G.Kirkwood

Default Hardboot and Carving board questions(long-ish)

Hi,
So, it's spring again, and I thought I'd give hardbooting another go.
a couple seasons ago I tried it. I had a pair of Raichle 121's, Burton
Carrier bindings. I tried it out on a Ginsu 151. It was fun, but it
felt a little squirrely at high speeds, then on a unused Edeck 161,
felt like I was sailing a battle ship. And the 121's felt VERY
clunky.Oh yeah, I'm 5'6" 135-145 lbs. size 9 boots. Got a lot of help
from folks here on technique that really helped, and over all, I still
had a blast. Still, it seemed the equipment wasn't quite right. For
the past 9 years I typically ride stiff, narrow freeride boards and
Burton 3 straps 30/15 angles, so it wasn't a huge leap. So, last year
at the end of the season I got a 156 Ginsu, still in the wrapper off
the NG (125.00) and a pair of Burton Mega Flex's off ebay (65.00).
Well, I've been out about 4 times on them the past couple weeks, and
it's going really well. All the advice I got on technique really paid
off, and the set-up seems to suit me, angles 53/45, about 1" back. The
Ginsu has a 21cm waist, so staying on the rail meant I had to make
fairly large radius turns, but Bachelor traffic was light, so not a
problem, felt really good at high speed. I could also see my track on
the way up the lift and they seemed pretty consistent, so I knew I had
a good rythem going, going slightly up hill before transitioning into
the next turn. I was pretty pleased. I was really taken at how much
easier the heelside carves were in boots and steeper angles, getting
real low and no sitting on the toilet. Even came close to doing full
carved circles a few times, just ran outta gas at the top of the
carve. Anyways, are ya still with me, or have you all ready skipped to
the "don't need wax" or "why use leashes" thread" ? Anyway, I tried
a Burton alp,156. I steepened the angles, 60/52, and if felt a little
unstable at high speeds, and couldn't quite hold the rail sometimes.
Are the Alp's known to be a little soft, or because of the narrower
waist I'll find it a little more flexy?Do I need to go longer as the
waist gets narrower? did the steeper angles make it feel unstable?
After a couple runs, I went back to the Ginsu and every thing got back
to normal. So now "m thinking I want a narrower board for tighter
turns, but much stiffer then the alp, maybe longer? or is it just a
technique thing? So any advice on a smaller radius board, binding
set-up, or comments on my current setup would be great. I'd like to
get a board for tighter, full carves. I may even upgrade the boots in
the off season, but the Mega Flex's are comfortable and seem to work
for now. maybe some stiffer bindings? Can you make heads or tail of my
babbling?
Thanks,
Galen
Remove "MYBRAIN" to reply via email, or just post here and see if we
can get a good flame war started.
Old March 22nd 04, 05:37 PM
Mike T

Anyway, I tried
a Burton alp,156. I steepened the angles, 60/52, and if felt a little
unstable at high speeds, and couldn't quite hold the rail sometimes.
Are the Alp's known to be a little soft, or because of the narrower
waist I'll find it a little more flexy?

I've never ridden an Alp personally, but word on the street (see
www.bomberonline.com) is that yes, Alps are soft. (I have ridden with
folks on Alps who say the same thing).

A narrower waist isn't really going to make an alpine board feel more flexy
or more "turny". However what it might do is make it harder to carve in
spring snow, because it doesn't "sink in" as far. I've also found shorter
boards with tighter sidecuts skip out of spring snow easily while longer
boards hold better.

Do I need to go longer as the
waist gets narrower? did the steeper angles make it feel unstable?

If you're used to shallower angles then going steeper will feel strange and
you might be less stable until you get used to it, sure.

After a couple runs, I went back to the Ginsu and every thing got back
to normal. So now "m thinking I want a narrower board for tighter
turns, but much stiffer then the alp, maybe longer? or is it just a
technique thing? So any advice on a smaller radius board, binding
set-up, or comments on my current setup would be great. I'd like to
get a board for tighter, full carves. I may even upgrade the boots in
the off season, but the Mega Flex's are comfortable and seem to work
for now. maybe some stiffer bindings? Can you make heads or tail of my
babbling?

I'd ask these questions at www.bomberonline.com and/or www.freecarve.com.
There are a handful of hard booters that hang out here, but many more to be
found at those two sites. You'll recognize some of the same screen names
from this newsgroup.

In general, longer boards with more open sidecuts give you better stability,
shorter boards with tighter sidecuts are turnier, and you should choose a
waist width that allows you to ride your favorite angles with little or no
overhang or underhang.

A true gem of a board is one that can be both stable and turny at the same
time. The Madd 158 SL is an example that is very much talked about on
Bomber as a turny board that is also very stable. Many Coiler owners myself
included rave about how they can crank really tight turns on a longer GS
board.

Mike T

Old March 22nd 04, 06:55 PM
Han Solo (D)

"Mike T" wrote:

If you're used to shallower angles then going steeper will feel
strange and you might be less stable until you get used to it, sure.

Agree. I ride 65-55 and feel very comfortable on that, and have no problems
riding whatever turns.
Normally you just go as steep as the board forces you to go (and that is
usually defined by your back binding).

In general, longer boards with more open sidecuts give you better
stability, shorter boards with tighter sidecuts are turnier, and you
should choose a waist width that allows you to ride your favorite
angles with little or no overhang or underhang.

Agree again. The longer, the more you get a cruising feel, but the more
difficult it is to make short turns.

A true gem of a board is one that can be both stable and turny at the
same time. The Madd 158 SL is an example that is very much talked
about on Bomber as a turny board that is also very stable. Many
Coiler owners myself included rave about how they can crank really
tight turns on a longer GS board.

I ride a F2 Speedster SL which is a great board both for carving and making
high speed short turns. It is definitely my favourite choice of board.

Han Solo
Old March 24th 04, 04:25 AM
G.Kirkwood

[...]

Thanks Mike,
I think it's a combination of all those thing I described. I think I
will take this to the other forums, forgot all about them. I'm
thinking about getting a prior 4x4. I like the look of the Donek Axis,
but it might be a tad to long for me, and don't feel like shelling out
bucks for custom alterations. Hey, does Madd have a website? I cant
seem to find one. Thanks again,
Galen

Old March 24th 04, 07:57 AM
Switters

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 05:25:00 GMT, G.Kirkwood
allegedly wrote:

I'm thinking about getting a prior 4x4.

[snip]

Hey Galen, you're not thinking of going to the other side with all that
powder you have on tap? Or have you moved recently?

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://rssFAQ.org/
Old March 24th 04, 01:49 PM
Mike T

I'm thinking about getting a prior 4x4.
[snip]

Hey Galen, you're not thinking of going to the other side with all that
powder you have on tap? Or have you moved recently?

Those Axis and 4x4 are a lotta fun in powder!

Old March 24th 04, 01:53 PM
Mike T

I'm
thinking about getting a prior 4x4. I like the look of the Donek Axis,
but it might be a tad to long for me, and don't feel like shelling out
bucks for custom alterations. Hey, does Madd have a website? I cant
seem to find one. Thanks again,

The 4x4 comes in 159 - 179, the Axis comes in 167 - 182...

www.bomberonline.com has the 4x4 174 and 179, and the Axis 182, brand new,
for $380.00 USD right now... probably the cheapest you'll find either of
these boards brand-new (factory seconds notwithstanding)

Madd does not have a website. If you're looking at 4x4 and Axis, you don't
want a Madd. Completely different animal or so I've heard.

Mike T

Old March 24th 04, 06:01 PM
G.Kirkwood

allegedly wrote:

I'm thinking about getting a prior 4x4.

[snip]

Hey Galen, you're not thinking of going to the other side with all that
powder you have on tap? Or have you moved recently?

- Dave.

Hey Dave,
Naw, Still got my fish which I get out whenever there's more the 4".
Last Season was so pathetic out here that I thought I'd give it
another chance, and I'm really digging it. Been out here lately? hope
you didn't waste a plane ticket coming here last year, unless you were
her "the day" it snowed. Actually, I heard March was ok, but of
course I was away on a climbing and spring boarding trip to tahoe.
Nice to see you, I haven't been in the NG for a couple years.
Galen

Old March 24th 04, 06:05 PM
G.Kirkwood

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 14:49:37 GMT, "Mike T"
wrote:

I'm thinking about getting a prior 4x4.

[snip]

Hey Galen, you're not thinking of going to the other side with all that
powder you have on tap? Or have you moved recently?

Those Axis and 4x4 are a lotta fun in powder!

I thought that might be the case. I've been riding my ginsu in powder
some this year with no problems, same shape, just a few cent. wider.
Do you need to set it back when it gets deep? on the 4x4 that is.

Old March 24th 04, 06:14 PM
G.Kirkwood

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 14:53:24 GMT, "Mike T"
wrote:

I'm
thinking about getting a prior 4x4. I like the look of the Donek Axis,
but it might be a tad to long for me, and don't feel like shelling out
bucks for custom alterations. Hey, does Madd have a website? I cant
seem to find one. Thanks again,

The 4x4 comes in 159 - 179, the Axis comes in 167 - 182...

www.bomberonline.com has the 4x4 174 and 179, and the Axis 182, brand new,
for $380.00 USD right now... probably the cheapest you'll find either of
these boards brand-new (factory seconds notwithstanding)

Madd does not have a website. If you're looking at 4x4 and Axis, you don't
want a Madd. Completely different animal or so I've heard.

Mike T

Thanks Mike. I noticed that, but those lengths just seem way to big
for me (5'6", 140 lbs.). thanks for the heads up on the Madd though,
still like to see one and see what all the hoopla is about. Right now
"m zeroing in on the 4x4. I noticed the offer a lighter weave for
another 75$. Know anything about it or if it's worth it?
Thanks galen.
Oh yeah, I posted my original post to Freecarve.com. I had no Idea it
was so long and disjointed, now I'm almost embarrassed to go back
there.