Riding with an iPOD

Old November 14th 04, 11:13 PM
RR

Default Riding with an iPOD

Anyone have experience about how rugged iPODs are? The ones with the
hard drives? I would love to carry it with me, but if they are really
fragile would probably leave it home.

Is a padded case enough protection?
Old November 15th 04, 02:12 AM
bp

RR wrote:
Anyone have experience about how rugged iPODs are? The ones with the
hard drives? I would love to carry it with me, but if they are really
fragile would probably leave it home.

Is a padded case enough protection?

i've got an ipod and it's the one what has the touch wheel and the touch
buttons. it sucks if you like to switch songs all the time or need to
adjust volume because you have to take off your gloves. also these
things don't tolerate water too well so be careful. usually i set up a
playlist that will last me the day.

they are rugged enough I think. I've dropped mine lots of times without
a case on and even kicked it across the room once by accident. seems to
be alright, but maybe I was just lucky.
Old November 15th 04, 07:37 AM
Edward Arata

Ipods are pretty well built in my experience.
I have one with the touch buttons (not the really old ones, and not the new
ones) and yes it is a pain to change volume and songs but if you have a good
playlist, a set of in-ear phones and a hat or helmet to hold in the ear
phones it works pretty well. I have used this set up when I go boarding on
days by myself, it is really not convenient when trying to talk to someone.
I just wore the Ipod in an inner pocket of my jacket so I didn't pad it at
all, but then again I didn't take any bails while I had it on. As for
water, I would be careful. Once I went directly from the mountain onto a
train and when I pulled Ipod out it was covered with condensation from the
relative temp/humidly change. Didn't run it for a little while, but it
started up fine. It still works fine but don't know if I would do that
again.

Good luck man, be careful of other people since you can not hear them.

Ed

Old November 15th 04, 06:18 PM
Tucker Cunningham

RR wrote:
Anyone have experience about how rugged iPODs are? The ones with the
hard drives? I would love to carry it with me, but if they are really
fragile would probably leave it home.

Is a padded case enough protection?

i ride with an ipod all the time, i think it's awesome to have music on
the slopes. like the others said, changing songs is a bitch, but if you
set up a playlist for an hour or two it's not bad. i carry mine in the
breast pocket of my jacket, usually wrapped in a wool hat (i know, high
tech) and it's never had any problems. if you only wear 1 earbud in, i
find you can get a good balance of music and outside sounds such as
people talking to you.

Old November 17th 04, 03:29 AM
Rick Wilson

RR wrote:
Anyone have experience about how rugged iPODs are? The ones with the
hard drives? I would love to carry it with me, but if they are really
fragile would probably leave it home.

Is a padded case enough protection?

iPods are pretty darn rugged. It took me a year and a half to destroy
my first one (first generation 5gb). I bought a Rio Karma earlier this
year and it lasted a whopping 16 hours. It took a fall of about 2 feet
and shattered into a bunch of plastic bits and pieces. The 20gb iPod I
replaced it with has taken several falls from pocket level without any
issues. I'll probably be wearing mine this winter while boaring.

Rick
Old November 19th 04, 01:48 PM
Teter

My daughter
who rides as hard as anyone you meet
has had several ipods she bought the first at best buy so they don't care if
you bring it back a few times because its broken they just give you a new
one. She has just bought the new mini i pod. She rides for fun as well as
contest with the pod
later
teter

Old November 23rd 04, 12:27 AM
toddjb

RR wrote in message ...
Anyone have experience about how rugged iPODs are? The ones with the
hard drives? I would love to carry it with me, but if they are really
fragile would probably leave it home.

Is a padded case enough protection?

Yeah, you'll be fine with one of those rubber Speck cases or something
like it. I rode last season with a mini and loved it.

And w/ regard to changing songs, don't even mess with it. This wireless
remote is small enough to clip on a zipper and works GREAT on the slopes.
http://www.engineeredaudio.com/products/remote.html

You can adjust power, volume, play/pause, next/previous songs. And it
lasted all spring on the outside of my coat. Really works great.
-todd
Old November 28th 04, 07:18 PM
Brian

I had the Rio as well last year here in Canada, but at -20c the dang
thing kept freezing up. I had it inside my jacket pocket but that did
not help.
I have an Ipod now, but I'm looking to get a flash based player
without moving parts to freeze up!!!

cheers
Old November 30th 04, 02:19 AM
Rick Wilson

Brian wrote:
I had the Rio as well last year here in Canada, but at -20c the dang
thing kept freezing up. I had it inside my jacket pocket but that did
not help.
I have an Ipod now, but I'm looking to get a flash based player
without moving parts to freeze up!!!

cheers

I wouldn't put much faith in Rio products. I bought a Karma as an iPod
alternative (I'm still ****ed at Apple about my last one). The Karma
lasted less than 24 hours. It took a fall off of my desk onto the floor
and broke off the jog wheel. Without that wheel, it wouldn't function
at all. I'm glad I bought it at Circuit City, because they let me
return it the following day in exchange for an iPod.

Rick

Does 3cm In Board Length Affect Riding? John Smith Snowboarding 7 March 31st 04 09:20 PM
April Riding Magnum626 Snowboarding 10 March 16th 04 04:27 PM
Skiing Downhill Like Riding a Pony Ed Vogel Nordic Skiing 0 February 27th 04 06:04 PM
Riding gear prices Steve_r34 Snowboarding 2 December 22nd 03 02:43 AM
Stance settings? type of riding jaycb74 Snowboarding 20 November 14th 03 02:58 PM