Help with board selection

Old August 26th 04, 04:39 AM
Lucky75287

Default Help with board selection

I'm looking to buy a board for my boyfriend, and after visiting few
local board shops, here are the top recommendations (which are also in
stock) of local sales people. I'd love to hear some feedback about
these boards for casual free riding:

K2 Instinct (162cm)
Burton CustomX (164cm)
Palmer Honeycircle 2 (161cm)

He's 6 ft. 205 lbs.
Old August 26th 04, 04:53 AM
Mike T

I'm looking to buy a board for my boyfriend, and after visiting few
local board shops, here are the top recommendations (which are also in
stock) of local sales people. I'd love to hear some feedback about
these boards for casual free riding:

K2 Instinct (162cm)
Burton CustomX (164cm)
Palmer Honeycircle 2 (161cm)

He's 6 ft. 205 lbs.

The Custom X seems like a lot of money for "casual freeriding". If that's
all he's going to do, I recommend getting him a cheaper board and using the
leftover money on a really nice set of boots. Having a set of well-fitting
boots is IMHo the most critical aspect of choosing equipment - if his feet
hurt, he's not going to be much fun to ride with!

Mike T

Old August 26th 04, 11:38 PM
Chet Hayes

"Mike T" wrote in message news:e1eXc.3329$2F.227@trnddc05...
I'm looking to buy a board for my boyfriend, and after visiting few
local board shops, here are the top recommendations (which are also in
stock) of local sales people. I'd love to hear some feedback about
these boards for casual free riding:

K2 Instinct (162cm)
Burton CustomX (164cm)
Palmer Honeycircle 2 (161cm)

He's 6 ft. 205 lbs.

The Custom X seems like a lot of money for "casual freeriding". If that's
all he's going to do, I recommend getting him a cheaper board and using the
leftover money on a really nice set of boots. Having a set of well-fitting
boots is IMHo the most critical aspect of choosing equipment - if his feet
hurt, he's not going to be much fun to ride with!

Mike T

I have had two Customs, and they are just fantastic all around boards.
I do agree with Mike, that a good fitting boot is even more important
than the board. Another factor with Customs is they are a favorite
for getting stolen, I lost one at Killington, VT. Make sure you use a
heavy cable lock, more like a bicycle one, not the retractable crap.
For a guy his size, the 164 sounds about right.
Old August 27th 04, 03:23 AM
Dmitry

"Lucky75287" wrote

I'm looking to buy a board for my boyfriend, and after visiting few
local board shops, here are the top recommendations (which are also in
stock) of local sales people. I'd love to hear some feedback about
these boards for casual free riding:

K2 Instinct (162cm)
Burton CustomX (164cm)
Palmer Honeycircle 2 (161cm)

He's 6 ft. 205 lbs.

Umm.. IMHO too small for a 205lbs dude if he's any good and it's really
freeriding. 165-167 would be a good size. What size feet? More than 10
would mean he needs a wide board, non of the boards you've listed are
wide.

Custom X and Honeycircle are quite fragile super-light boards, and
not stiff at all. Very prone to be stolen. I love both but I'm 5'11" and
155lbs, and I'd get the same sizes you've mentioned for myself.

If he's at a beginner or low intermediate level of riding and you've
got some cash to spare - yeah, those would be nice choices, but
then again he won't be able to appreciate those boards much.

Basically what I'm getting at is that local sales people are just
naming you the most expensive boards because you look like
an easy target...

Old August 27th 04, 09:04 PM
Chris Stringer

I would tend to agree with you guys that any of those boards are
really overkill for the kind of riding it sounds like he wants to do.
Keep in mind the person who recommended those higher-end board
probably wants you to spend more money at their store. A beginner or
intermediate board like the Ride Control or Option Supercap would work
just fine and would be in a much lower price range.

Just my 2 cents...

Chris Stringer
RDCShop.com Online Board Shop
Bend Ski and Board Sport
1009 NW Galveston
Bend, OR 97701
Email:
Web:
http://www.rdcshop.com
Fax: 541.312.1159
Local Phone: 541.389.4667
Toll Free Phone: 1.877.BEND.SKI

**Offering FREE shipping on orders over $175 within the US**
Old August 27th 04, 11:45 PM
Lucky75287

Well, after a bunch of great advice on forums and from sales peeps, I
*just* picked up a sweet 03/04 Burton Custom 166 at 50% off.
Thanks for all your feedback, you've been a huge help )
Old August 31st 04, 05:38 AM
Lucky75287

Hey, didn't catch the initial wave of replies, but I'll just say that
the Burton Custom is a very solid board and I'll think your boyfriend
will love the board as my friend whose been riding for 7 years now has
a Custom and really likes it (wow... if only I had a girlfriend that
bought ME snowboards... whad'ya think Mike? hehe).

--arvin

Thanks Arvin, you're making me think it's gonna be a really great
gift. I hope he goes nuts ) But just so there's no illusions, he
really deserves every square inch of that board for putting up with my
HM @ss for 3 yrs ;o)