Do all polymer glide waxes need to be removed with cleaners i.e Cerax and Start Golden Line?

Old March 22nd 04, 09:27 AM
Douglas Diehl

Default Do all polymer glide waxes need to be removed with cleaners i.e Cerax and Start Golden Line?

I've read at this site how Cerax waxes need to be cleaned from the
base, or it seals the base. I don't use Cerax, but I'm thinking of
buying some Start Golden Line glide wax. This is a polymer wax. Not
being a chemical engineer I was wondering if this wax has to be
cleaned from the base as well.
Old March 22nd 04, 04:06 PM
Laurent Duparchy

I've been using Cerax exclusively for two years, as finish layer and
didn't noticed that it sealed bases.

I never tried to remove Cerax from an unskied ski, though. Since it is
claimed to be tough, then it must be difficult to remove it entirely
from the structure.

I would do that, anyway. I'm not sure that there is so much diffrence
in flavors of cerax Pros to remove one and put another one instead.

Can polymer molecules be broken and only the "anchor" part of it stays
? Would require a bit of energy, I guess.

Opinion of chemists out there ?
Jay Wenner ?
Old March 22nd 04, 04:09 PM
Laurent Duparchy

I've been using Cerax exclusively for two years, as finish layer and
didn't noticed that it sealed bases.

I never tried to remove Cerax from an unskied ski, though. Since it is
claimed to be tough, then it must be difficult to remove it entirely
from the structure.

I wouldn't do that, anyway. I'm not sure that there are so much
differences in flavors of Cerax Pros to remove one and put another one
instead.

Either Cerax is present and my ski are waxed, either it is not present
(let's say after 30 / 40 kms) and then my skis need to be waxed

Old March 29th 04, 03:57 PM
Laurent Duparchy

I just visited nanowax.com and found that the "practice & tips" pdf
file has been updated.

No more haire dryer.

The advice is now to roto-kork : slow speed and low pressure.
Then horsehair brush,
then nylon brush.

To enhance durability the advice is to apply the thin layer (+
roto_kork, + brushs) 2 to 4 times

Too bad that season is almost over (lots of snow remaining here in
France, though. Les Saisies will be open until end of april (as
usual), Jura areas as well.)