Pole Length Recommendations

Old January 26th 07, 03:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default Pole Length Recommendations

I call on the wisdom of rec.skiing.nordic! Can anyone comment on what
is the latest thinking on the length of poles for skating. I'm really
looking for more than the usual "up to your mustache" rule of thumb.
Is there any correlation to arm length, individual style, type of
skiing (rec vs racing, hills vs flats, etc)??
Over the years, I've found that I like poles that are a bit shorter
than those generally recommended for someone my height. I'm using
162.5s and I'm 6 ft 0 in. Earlier in the season, I got a new set of
poles that were just a bit longer than my old ones (165) and have never
really gotten comfortable with them. The two things I notice most is
that I feel more powerful on hills with the shorter poles, and I like
the lighter swing weight for V2.

Any thoughts??

Bill K

Old January 26th 07, 05:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jake

Hi Bill, my experience is that all the things you mentioned - arm
length, individual style, type of skiing, etc do make a difference in
how long or short your poles should be. I don't think there's a whole
lot of good solid guidelines on this, particularly because there's not
going to be a very good way of quantifying "individual style". I think
what you like is the best judge here - you clearly can tell that you
don't like your pole length now, and that you would feel more powerful
and be faster with shorter poles. so I would go ahead and shorten
them. I've actually sometimes been surprised how a difference of just
like 2 cm can make a big difference. and you're in luck, because your
poles are too long. cutting a pole is easy - heat up the grip in hot
water, pull it off, then just use a hacksaw to nip off 1-2 cm. then
try them out for a little while and repeat if necessary.
happy trails
jacob

Old January 26th 07, 05:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Heck, I've been able to tell 0.5cm difference. Add shoulders to the
mix of variables. Poling has to do with arm position and so if your
shoulders are straight across you'll be able to handle a longer pole
than if they slope a lot (shoulder socket height). In the first race
Bente Skari won, Davos I think, she cut her poles to long classical to
deal with the hills.

General rule is that you should feel like you can get up over them with
good timing, but not so much that you feel like you're losing poling
power. All things equal - i.e., good technique - if your arms are
having to catch up, or you can't follow through fully, then they are
likely too long. If you are having too much problem driving the hand to
the hip going uphill, same deal. Forget the moustache or even bottom
lip if you ski hills, unless perhaps you have strong upper body and
arms. Also note that full length measurement varies with grip make
because grips have different inside depths and portions above the hand.
Lately I'm looking at strap exit position for comparisons.

rm

Old January 27th 07, 12:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
xcwhite

On Jan 26, 9:51 am, wrote:
I call on the wisdom of rec.skiing.nordic! Can anyone comment on what
is the latest thinking on the length of poles for skating. I'm really
looking for more than the usual "up to your mustache" rule of thumb.
Is there any correlation to arm length, individual style, type of
skiing (rec vs racing, hills vs flats, etc)??
Over the years, I've found that I like poles that are a bit shorter
than those generally recommended for someone my height. I'm using
162.5s and I'm 6 ft 0 in. Earlier in the season, I got a new set of
poles that were just a bit longer than my old ones (165) and have never
really gotten comfortable with them. The two things I notice most is
that I feel more powerful on hills with the shorter poles, and I like
the lighter swing weight for V2.

Any thoughts??

Bill K

Just remember that there is no such thing as a pole stretcher.

Old January 27th 07, 02:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
klh in VA

Default vasaloppets sno

There is snow, well, some, in Mora now and the lake seems to be frozen
over. that takes care of the finish area but there is still that matter
of covering vasagatten [vasa street] with a meter of snow.

http://www.vasaloparen.se/race_article.jsp?d_id=2901

you find here a column on will there be snow in Vasaloppet's tracks?
written by Kjell Johansson, tracks bross for Vasaloppet.

maybe with a translation program you can read all; without you can still
get the conclusion theya re prepared and preparing.

....35,000 cubic meters of snow is a lot. think of a very large dump
truck hauling 5 cu yards of sand and what a big pile it makes. 7,000
truckloads of snow. but to make a path a meter deep, 5 meters wide at
least, and 90,000 meters long is a lot of snow. hopefully mother nature
will help again. two years ago, they spent more than a $1M USD hauling
snow. But even that is economically justified to the economic health of
Darlana. To cancel vasaloppet is a real hit to the area.

see you in Mora!

Finns det snö i Vasaloppsspåret?

Kjell Johansson är spårchef för Vasaloppet. Just nu arbetar han för
fullt med att se till att vi får bra spår hela vägen från Sälen till
Mora. Följ hans arbete här på sidan. Vi uppdaterar sidan flera gånger
i veckan.

Fredag 2007-01-26
Det närmar sig Vasaloppsveckan. Hur ser det ut hos dig?
Vi har 12 grader kallt vid TjejVasastarten och klart och fint väder.
Det har inte hänt så mycket mer sedan sist än att vi fortsätter idag
att lägga ut Prästholmen mot Hemus. Vi blir förmodligen klara upp till
Hemus idag. Sedan packar vi den bit som är kvar mellan Everertsberg
och Risberg och då lägger vi spår så att det finns åkbara spår från
Risberg till Mora.
Så har vi packat väster mellan Risberg och starten i Sälen. Där är det
nerpackat så att det är en slät raka så att skejtåkarna kan träna där.
Sjöarna är bra Vi har 3 dm kärnis idag.

Vi har uppskattningsvis 35 000 kubikmeter kanonsnö tillverkat dessutom
finns det mycket natursnö. Det är faktiskt så att det finns snö så att
det täcker hela sträckan. Skulle vi ha kört Vasaloppet idag så hade vi
klarat det. Lite sämre kvalitet på spåren - men fullt dugligt.

Old January 28th 07, 02:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
32 degrees

Default skate vs classic

Just had a friend use "skating" poles to double pole a "classic" race with
no kick wax. The logic seems good - longer poles = more power, but what
about physics and physiology of it?

If you are planning on double poling ONLY, should you still stick with
classic length poles?

JKal.

Old January 28th 07, 11:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Andrew Lee

32 degrees wrote:
Just had a friend use "skating" poles to double pole a "classic" race
with no kick wax. The logic seems good - longer poles = more power, but
what about physics and physiology of it?

I see your statement, but no logic backing it. Your body provides the
power. Where does the extra power come from?

If you are planning on double poling ONLY, should you still stick with
classic length poles?

JKal.

My classic poles feel a bit short for me after I cut them down
experimentally a centimenter or two a few years ago (and didn't save the cut
pieces to put back into the handle to extend it back), but my skate poles
feel too long... I can't get my weight over them. Probably classic...

But this, like most technique questions can easily be tested. Ski with
someone closely matched in ability and go really hard so you can judge how
little adjustments will have you skiing easier behind your friend or have
you dropped. Is it easier to keep up with one pole length than the other?
Well there you go.

Old January 29th 07, 12:34 AM
steve steve is offline
Member

Location: Ottawa

Do a search.. tons of stuff on this.

I opened a thread on this a couple years back after discovering skating with my classic poles as a sort of 'wake up' call to my overall technique. While definitely too short, it pointed out to me nonetheless that going by "the charts" for skate pole lenght was definitley not doing it for me. Perhaps its the hilly terrain of the area I ski in, or my personal characteristics (short legs, long body), but by chopping my pole down a few centimeteres its done wonders for my overall being able to get on top of my poles.

My V2 feels much more fluid and powerful, not waiting for my arms to catch up, no hitch in my stride. Less falling behind on V1 as well. I think I realized I was on the right track when I'd notice how sore my stomach muscles/core would be after a good ski, instead of just the triceps/lats.

Anyways, as has been noted, careful with those poles! Even a cm can make a HUGE difference. Mine are currently about .87 of my height, where .9 is the standard height I've heard thrown around. I did work it down to that gradually with testing.

good luck.

Steve
Old January 29th 07, 01:39 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Marsh Jones

Due to some shoulder impingements and my belief that I get quicker
return and can make better use of my upper body strength with slightly
shorter poles, I run a little shorter on my skate poles - about 159cm,
which comes just slightly above the bottom of my chin. My "A" classic
poles are 151cm, putting the strap attach at the ball of my shoulder,
and my "short" poles are 149cm.
I might be tempted to use my skate poles on a lake race - if it's short.
I know from experience that I can't sustain the leverage I need to DP
a 30K or so event on my skate poles. But 10K or so, maybe. For a hilly
race where I expect to do a lot of single stick, I will generally opt
for my shorter poles. They're slightly heavier, but the swing weight is
still good, and I don't have to lift them quite as high to get a good
forward plant and drive. I do give up a little bit in leverage on DP,
but I've been working on my DP technique, and I getting more from it in
any case. Of course, your mileage may vary...

Marsh

pole length steve Nordic Skiing 6 December 22nd 04 04:21 AM
Pole length for skate rollerskiing? Everett Fee Nordic Skiing 7 October 12th 04 10:03 PM
Palm side exit point for pole length measure -JP- Nordic Skiing 1 March 22nd 04 03:02 AM
Pole revolution? Anders Lustig Nordic Skiing 4 February 7th 04 01:44 AM
pole length question Nevalainen, Eric Nordic Skiing 8 February 2nd 04 03:11 AM