Skier's thoughts on snowboard boot fit...

Old January 1st 06, 02:22 AM
speede541 speede541 is offline
Junior Member

Default Skier's thoughts on snowboard boot fit...

Am I mad? Am I sadomasochistic?

I'm a longtime skier taking up snowboarding. I've skied a few ski boots, and have a pretty good feel for what's too small and what's "just right".

Should a snowboard boot fit **feel** that different? I've squeezed my footsies into a few pairs now (thin ski socks and custom footbeds included) and I find myself shying away from the boots that feel "ahhhhhh...." so comfy (mind you, not too long nor too wide, just... comfy).

Instead, I've picked out a pair probably a half size too small that truly "bind" my feet. They had a few hot spots but I've been stomping around the house breaking them in and they are quite tolerable -- not comfortable, but certainly not toe numbing nor foot cramping. I'm expecting them to pack out when I finally get some turns in.

All said, they're somewhat more comfortable than my well-fitting pair of ski boots, but am I carrying too much of a skier's mentality into this whole fit process?

FWIW, they're Salomon Malamutes, and I chose them specifically for their stiffness due to an old ankle injury.
Old January 1st 06, 03:22 AM

speede541 wrote:
[...]

I've never skied so I couldn't do a comparison, but I think you probably
did the right thing. Boots tend to stretch a bit and loosen up once
they've been used a bit. The first pair I got fitted really nicely but
after a while they got too big. I had trouble stopping my heel lifting
without doing them up so tightly, they cut the circulation off to my
feet. The ones I have now were a 1/2 size too small but they are perfect
now. Comfortable, with no heel lift at all.

Octes
Old January 1st 06, 03:49 AM

All said, they're somewhat more comfortable than my well-fitting pair
of ski boots, but am I carrying too much of a skier's mentality into
this whole fit process?

FWIW, they're Salomon Malamutes, and I chose them specifically for
their stiffness due to an old ankle injury.

I use both Malamutes and hard-shell snowboard boots, hard snowboard boot
fitting is just like ski boot fitting. If the newer Malamutes are anything
like my 01/02's, they you did the right thing, they will pack out when
riding, probably about half a size. The liners in your Malamutes are
moldable - did the shop where you bought them mold them for you?

Mike T

Old January 1st 06, 05:57 AM

Agree with both.
Salomons pack right out, and none too stiff to begin with.
But you gotta maintain correct length, so size IS sorta important.
Try too short a boot, you'll quit boarding in 4 days.

Old January 1st 06, 03:56 PM
speede541 speede541 is offline
Junior Member

Thank you for your replies and for affirming my thought process.

The Malamutes I settled on I found at an REI -- no expert bootfitting. I read earlier threads (perhaps from Mike T) describing the heat molding process for the inner liners, and will tackle this at home only after my first day on snow. I don't want to overly abuse the store's liberal return policy which allows me to take back the boots, used, if they don't fit.

It is comforting that, once I remove my feet from the boots after spending a couple hours in them, my feet feel quite normal with no severe hot spots. I contrast this to the long-lasting "squished" feeling my feet have after removing them from too-small ski boots or bike shoes.

It's amazing the variety of boot fit info posted on various websites -- some of it just silly. Some compare the fit of snowboard boots to fuzzy slippers. Others recommed 1/2 size to 1 full size too small. Yet another recommended one size large to prevent any chance of toe contact with the liner (eek!).

Perhaps my favorite advice was from this outfit: http://www.emiliosskishop.com/boot_fitting.htm

Thanks again and good sliding!
Old January 3rd 06, 04:36 AM
speede541 speede541 is offline
Junior Member

Just a followup that I got my 1/2 size too-small Malamutes out on the snow today and they felt great. Any remaining misgivings or concerns about my size of choice have been left behind in 8" of fresh powder on the beginner's hill.

Next stop: a hot oven.
Old January 3rd 06, 01:53 PM

im pretty sure you cant heat mould malamutes
Old January 3rd 06, 03:47 PM

im pretty sure you cant heat mould malamutes

The older models could most definitley be molded in a convenction oven, I've
done it. I believe the newer models require heat tubes or a heat gun, but
yes they are moldable.

Mike T

Old January 3rd 06, 04:49 PM

Speede541....
You have to understand, all the advice given is absolutely TRUE,
based on the boarder's previous experiences.
Some guys have really wide feet.
Some guys have tall arches.
Some guys have long skinny feet.
Do you understand now why you get all sorts of varied advice?
Specifically, I have the last, so LENGTH is most important, as any
boot is too thick and possibly too wide, and my feet slide forwards
into the toe box. So I need a length that's going to confine my feet
from sliding by bumping my toes against the front, but not squashing
them bent, black and blue. That's why I mentioned I have a THREE
boots, one size 10, one size 10.5, and one size 11, and that the newer
Northwaves, I need size 11.
Every boot is sized differently, and every snowboarder has different
needs in their boot fit.
My case again.....I'm size 9.5 Italian shoe sizing.
I'm size 11 in tennis shoes if I wear two
pairs of socks
So my snowboard boots vary in size with the brand and make, even thos
my feet are incased by the thinnest socks I can find.
That's my problem, other's have other problems.
So you understand, there are no concrete solutions that apply to
everyone all the time!!!!

Old January 3rd 06, 10:31 PM
speede541 speede541 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeD
So you understand, there are no concrete solutions that apply to
everyone all the time!!!!
Thanks, Lee. You would quickly understand that, if you looked over some of the 'absolute' guidelines (regarding sizing) on the various web sites that I am referring to, you are in 'absolute' agreement with me. Good day.