swiss resorts for the beginner - suggestions please

Old February 6th 05, 06:53 AM
Neil Swingler

Adrian D. Shaw wrote:
Felly sgrifennodd Gav :

Flumserberg (http://www.flumserberg.com/en/welcome.cfm)

I was wondering where this was until I went to the website and saw Heidiland!
That's how I've seen it marketed before. I've wondered about going there
myself in the past; is it worth it (for two fairly advanced skiers)?

Most skiing at Flumserberg is fairly easy. Flumserberg's main selling
point is it's proximity to Zurich. If I were travelling from further
afield, I would go somewhere more interesting and less crowded (crowded
at weekends anyway - I don't know about weekdays).

--
Neil Swingler
Old February 6th 05, 07:06 PM
Gav

On 5 Feb 2005 10:25:55 -0000, (Adrian D. Shaw) wrote:

Felly sgrifennodd Gav :
Flumserberg (
http://www.flumserberg.com/en/welcome.cfm)

I was wondering where this was until I went to the website and saw Heidiland!
That's how I've seen it marketed before. I've wondered about going there
myself in the past; is it worth it (for two fairly advanced skiers)?

It's generally pretty easy, so if you are looking for a challenge
you might be disappointed. Worth visiting for a day though as it has
some lovely views and a variety of runs.

Gav

Old February 14th 05, 11:52 PM
Alex Heney

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 22:45:06 +0000, funkraum
wrote:

Alex Heney wrote:
On 1 Feb 2005 22:37:33 -0800, (tim) wrote:

I've had a few hours of lessons but still don't have any confidence.

I really need a swiss resort that has really, really easy slopes.

Any ideas ?

This might sound silly, but I would suggest Verbier. (Mind you it is
the only Swiss resort I have skied :-)

Their nursery slopes are VERY easy, and then they have several
reasonable blue runs, and a good few reds that you should be able to
cope with by the end of a week (if you take lessons).

And because it is regarded as an "expert" resort, you tend to get
fewer beginners, so the ski school classes may well be smaller (they
were for me, but that was low season as well).

Stop pulling his leg. Perhaps the only place to learn in Verbier is
Lac des Vaux and it is still not much fun for debutantes even with the
gun-barrel removed.

Go to somewhere like Gstaad, which has lots of lazy after-lunch
skiing.

OK, I haven't actually tried anywhere else in Switzerland.

But Verbier was where I first skied on snow (after two lessons on a
dry slope previously).

There is the nursery slope Les Esserts, then you have Le Bleu and Le
Rouge (both short blue runs) nearby (I was actually staying at a
chalet in the middle of Le Bleu).

After that, there were several runs at Savroleyres, the ones at Lac de
Veaux, and several in the La Chaux area that were perfectly skiable
for a first week skier.

I'll admit I was lucky, in that we had near perfect weather, and
(first full week in January) there were only 4 of us in the group
lessons. But by the end of the week, I was able to get down most of
the reds in the Savroleyres and La Chaux areas, and I had a thoroughly
enjoyable week.

And I never had to use lifts to get back to the base areas :-)

I know it sounds silly, but TBH, as an absolute beginner, most resorts
will have enough to keep you happy fro a week, provided the ski school
is reasonable.